Quantcast How to use recovery partition

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default How to use recovery partition

you guys know that 3.9GB recovery partition on the hard drive (doesn't have its own drive letter)? how do you activate the partition to allow my computer to reset to factory settings?

i remember dell has that feature and you press ctrl+F11 upon startup.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: How to use recovery partition

use F9 on startup
    .. just used it 1.5 hrs ago actually.. very fast
    Dell E6400 ---> Outlet Scratch and Dent
    Lenovo T61p ---> For the wife, screen is grainy but otherwise it is great
    Acer 3680-2022 ---> Retired
    Gateway MT3418 ---> Gone: Flakey Wireless NIC, cheap keyboard
    ASUS A8Jp ---> Gone: Bad Screen/Bad Replacement
    Dell Precision M70 ---> Company notebook, just keeps hanging on DIE DIE!!

Notebook Consultant

thx. i got another question tho.

If you were to use the F9 thing, would it reset the whole computer to original factory settings from the CD (does it ask u to insert the cd), or does it copy off of the 3.9gb partition. i looked inside the 3.9 partition using a tool and it has some gho files for norton ghost.

so really, does the F9 restore use the gho image file to restore, or does it copy files off the cd?

just wondering, haven't tried it yet.

NBR Reviewer

Everything comes off the HD in brand new condition. No CDs required. Make sue to backup anything important.

~ Brett
    Nrbelex.com: Brett Weinstein | Photography

Current: ThinkPad T430s - Core i5-3320M - 16gb RAM - 128GB mSATA SSD
    Old: Asus W3J - Intel Core 2 Duo, T7200 - ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 - 3gb RAM
    Older: Dell Inspiron 5150 (running the latest version of Ubuntu)

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by maomanmaman View Post
    thx. i got another question tho.

If you were to use the F9 thing, would it reset the whole computer to original factory settings from the CD (does it ask u to insert the cd), or does it copy off of the 3.9gb partition. i looked inside the 3.9 partition using a tool and it has some gho files for norton ghost.

so really, does the F9 restore use the gho image file to restore, or does it copy files off the cd?

just wondering, haven't tried it yet.
    It restores whichever drives you want to factory settings. I used it once when I got a virus. Restored my "C" partition to factory settings and left the "D" alone. It does not need the CDs to do the restore.
    Centurion 541 | Core i3-2100 | CM Hyper TX3 | ATI HD5770 | MSI H67MA-E45 (B3) | 8GB DDR3 1333 | OCZ Fatal1ty 550W | W7x64 HP

(HTPC) SilverStone ML03 | Athlon II X2 250 | Big Shuriken | ATI HD5450 | Asus M4A785-M | 4GB DDR2 800 | Antec EarthWatts 380W | Hauppauge HVR-1250 | LiteOn IHOS104 BD | W7x64 HP

T420i | Core i3-2310 | 2x4GB DDR3 1333 | 500GB 7200RPM | 1600x900 | W7x64 HP

Notebook Consultant

ok. thanks. i read the instructions on that little sheet of paper inside the recovery dvd's case. if you used the recovery F9 feature, will the RECOVERY partition delete itself if I were to recover it once?

here's the thing I want to make sure before I do anything stupid:
    It says "2. Recover Windows XP ____ to first partition only. This option will delete only the first partition, allowing you to keep other partitions, and create a new system partition as drive "c" "

so does the "first partition" refers to C:\, not the Recovery partition with no drive letter? technically, the recovery partition is the first partition on the hard drive if you were to look that up, followed by C:\, followed by D:\ (data)

i doubt any of the 3 restore options will delete the recovery partition, since asus strongly recommends against deleting that.

sorry for asking too much. i came from a dell and they dont give you anything but a bunch of bloatware and another messy way to restore the bloatware.

NBR Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by maomanmaman View Post
    ok. thanks. i read the instructions on that little sheet of paper inside the recovery dvd's case. if you used the recovery F9 feature, will the RECOVERY partition delete itself if I were to recover it once?

here's the thing I want to make sure before I do anything stupid:
    It says "2. Recover Windows XP ____ to first partition only. This option will delete only the first partition, allowing you to keep other partitions, and create a new system partition as drive "c" "

so does the "first partition" refers to C:\, not the Recovery partition with no drive letter? technically, the recovery partition is the first partition on the hard drive if you were to look that up, followed by C:\, followed by D:\ (data)

i doubt any of the 3 restore options will delete the recovery partition, since asus strongly recommends against deleting that.

sorry for asking too much. i came from a dell and they dont give you anything but a bunch of bloatware and another messy way to restore the bloatware.
    Correct, the recovery partition, using any of the options, will not delete itself. Recover to first partition will delete C: and replace it with the OS as it arrived. Anything on D: will remain so anything important should be backed up there and externally as well, just in case.

~ Brett
    Nrbelex.com: Brett Weinstein | Photography

Current: ThinkPad T430s - Core i5-3320M - 16gb RAM - 128GB mSATA SSD
    Old: Asus W3J - Intel Core 2 Duo, T7200 - ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 - 3gb RAM
    Older: Dell Inspiron 5150 (running the latest version of Ubuntu)

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    Correct, the recovery partition, using any of the options, will not delete itself. Recover to first partition will delete C: and replace it with the OS as it arrived. Anything on D: will remain so anything important should be backed up there and externally as well, just in case.

~ Brett
    I would also have a question in this subject.

If I resize the partitions at some point, before the recovery, it will still use the resized sizes, won't it? So it doesn't do anything stupid because I resized the partitions?

NBR Procrastinator

I don't suppose so. If you choose recover to first partition, that's what it should do - pick the first partition and copy the Windows installation there. Given there's enough space, of course.
    Notebooks: ASUS F6Ve --- W7Sg --- V6J --- M6BNe
    Read before posting in ASUS: The Info Booth
    Guides: WinXP Install, Optimize Vista, Tips & Tricks, BIOS Update
    Reviews: ASUS F6Ve, ASUS W7S/g, Compaq C710ED, ASUS A8He

Notebook Consultant

****, i deleted all the partitions, including the hidden one, and now i cant boot on anything except live cds.

i need to restore that 1st partition...if i accidently delted everything am i totally screwed?
    DELL M4400
    - T9600 6MB L3 @ 2.8 GHz
    - Quadro FX 1700 [625/800/1450]
    - 3GB 800 DDR2
    - 15.4" 1440x900 LED backlit
    - 250Gb 7200 RPM HDD
    - Win XP SP3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast