Quantcast Asus' first REAL gaming laptops (G1P/G2P); first single spindle since the S5 (S7Fm); Lamborghini Vx1 "Golden Edition"

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Retailer

Default Asus' first REAL gaming laptops (G1P/G2P); first single spindle since the S5 (S7Fm); Lamborghini Vx1 "Golden Edition"

This might overload some Asus' fanatic brains, so try to take it easy. So far none of the systems below even have a prodution date for the world, let alone an ETA for the states........ I would expect to see the new Vx1 GE here until probably Thanksgiving time (last week of November) and if we see the G1P/G2P or S7Fm before January, I'd be surprised... they're more likely going to end up as Santa Rosa models in the Spring.

G1P
    I don't know what's up with this, but it's easy to see by both it's model name and the picture below that Asus is going right after the Dell XPS - no doubt. I guess the special colors on the "W", "A", "S", and "D" keys may tip you off to a notebook dedicated to a gamer also. Nothing is known about this yet, but based on the picture, I can tell we're looking at a 15.4" and a size similiar to the A9 chassis, which makes it certainly bigger than a V6, but not as big as the old P4 chassis' like the A6. Given it's size, I wouldn't be surprised if this ran an SLI setup.... Something that could match or beat the best XPS or Alienware gaming machine. The lower palmrest is made of the same black anodized brushed aluminum that the W2/W3/V6 use. The upper palmrest, keyboard surround and lid almost look as though they're a carbon fiber knock off from up close, but if Asus is trying to hit this market, I know they don't do anything "fake"... It's all or nothing, so I'm going to assume that this picture is preproduction and the polished and exposed carbon fiber is probably going to be used. Now, as for that round bubble logo on the bottom of the touchpad, I don't know what it does, but Asus isn't into just decorating their notebooks. It has to do something besides just light up and I for one am interested in seeing what it's for. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it has something to do with the touchpad - maybe a mouse-like zoom button or something. These Gaming series models will be like the other series and will come with a carrying case and mouse.... The only difference is these will come with a color matching laptop backpack (it looks like a targus that I've actually used for years) and a full sized logitech gaming mouse...

(Click to Enlarge)
    _ _ _ _

G2P
    Ok, well with a whole new series, why not start with two models. It's not entirely clear when you first look at these, but the G2P (and let's not confuse this - It stands for Gaming Series / 2nd Model / Merom), is a 17" clearly based on the A7 chassis. This unit would have even more room than the G1P and I can only imagine what's planned. Outside of the change in color of the lower aluminum palmrest, lid, and red lighting, they seem the same. Like the above, I think this will use a carbon fiber upper palmrest and keyboard surround, but if you look close, this one seems to have a different pattern.
    I think in the end, they may settle on one pattern weave and use real CF. If you notice off to the left and right, instead of hotkeys like on the W2, those red things are perferated metel vents...... big vents on boths sides would never be done as decoration... Asus is pure and simple just about design... so that would lead me to believe there's something in there worthy of getting rid of a lot of heat.... certainly looks good for the high end gamer.

(Click to Enlarge)
    _ _ _ _

S7Fm
    I often call the W7j the product of a passionate night between the W5F (mother) and the W3j (father). Keeping with that frame of mind, the S7Fm is the product of a wild orgy between the S6F, W5F, M5N and the S5N - that just screams for it's own Maury "you are not the father" episodes. It's an 11" widescreen like the S6F, it has the swivel 1.3mp webcam like the W5F, it has the aluminum left/right click touchpad surround of the M5N, and finally, a single spindle design that the S5N used (one spinning platter - the hard drive - which means it does not have an internal optical drive). I don't have a weight on this unit yet, but knowing how it's size compares and that the S5 was 2.8lbs, even though the S7 has a smaller screen it does have the larger top bezel with the camera.... so I'm thinking if it's 2.5lbs that would wonderful, but it may be even lighter.

(Click to Enlarge)
    _ _

Lamborghini Vx1 Golden Edition
    The version of the Lamborghini Vx1 that the US will see in larger numbers will be called the "Golden Edition". A one may first think of the tacky Lexus and Inifity models of the same name, this doesn't have an gold painted plastic that screams T.A.C.K.Y.... Instead, it's just a way to distinguish the yonah and merom models and add that extra little level of exclusivity. The "GE" will have the same setup as the first Vx1 and the same color options (pearl yellow and black in a gloss finish), but there are few things that differ:
    CPU: T7400 (2.16ghz / 4mb cache merom)
    RAM: 2GB DDR2 667
    HDD: 160gb / 5400rpm
    Graphics: Nvidia 7400VX w/ 128mb VRAM
    LCD: 15.1" SXGA+ w/ a special crystal level hardness LCD cover
    ID: "Golden Edition" card below which will identify which exact number you have out of whatever the limited run will be
    Touchpad: A slight bevel which reveals the unanodized aluminum around the touchpad surround - this helps give a little deffinition and contrast... very little detail, but one I would notice.

(Click to Enlarge)
    _ _

Alright, well that was a lot of information and I hope you enjoyed it. Anyone from this forum that knows me even a little would know that Asus' prototypes are my drug of choice and it's things like these that give me a bit of a fix... once I hear about and see these picture too much, then I'll get my next fix when the demo's arrive... and then production... and right down the line. As I said, we just recieved the A8js / W5Fm / A8Fm / W7Jp / R1F today and we're still waiting for at least 4-5 more new models within the next couple weeks. With all of that stress, I thought these might be a nice look into the future and perhaps help or confuse you more in terms of the right system for you. As always, we're here to help. I'm a senior member of this forum and dedicated a lot of time to the community. Likewise, PROPortable is my creation and we'll continue to provide the latest information and newest releases of Asus notebooks in North America..... I'm here if you need me. I'll be putting a link to this thread in my "Latest Asus news from PROPortable" thread for future viewing.
    Last edited by coriolis; 17th October 2006 at 07:38 PM.
    Click below to read my Asus news sticky and to find out more about the NBR Member Discount Program (updated 05/10)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show....php?p=1961738

NBR Reviewer

Default Re: Asus' first REAL gaming laptops (G1P/G2P); first single spindle since the S5 (S7Fm); Lamborghini Vx1 "Golden Edition"

Man, those look nice... can you approximate the pricing on these Justin?
    DR's Corner - My ongoing A8Jm review - My A8Jm picture gallery
    A8Jm Review at NotebookReview.com
    Proud owner of: ASUS A8Jm, 14" WXGA (1280 x 800), T2400 Core Duo (1.83 GHz), 2 GB DDR2 667MHz, 100GB 5400 RPM, nVidia Go 7600 512 MB

Sam
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Asus' first REAL gaming laptops (G1P/G2P); first single spindle since the S5 (S7Fm); Lamborghini Vx1 "Golden Edition"

Wow I like the first one, especially it being 15.4 inch. Too bad it won't be out until Santa Rosa.
    Apple MacBook Pro 13 | OS X Snow Leopard | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB RAM | 250 GB HDD | SuperDrive
    Raidmax Desktop | Windows XP | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad | 4 GB RAM | 500 GB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Apple iPhone 3G S | Bell Canada | 16 GB | Incipio Feather Metallic Black

Mac Switcher's Guide | Windows on a Mac Guide | My Flickr

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Fixed a typo, and thanks again for the info!
    Alienware M11x - SU7300 / GT335m / 8gb DDR3 / 60gb Vertex II

Sam
    Notebook Virtuoso

*throws aside all the W3J posters, and puts up new ones of the G1P*

They seriously look superior. Is that an eyeball?
    Apple MacBook Pro 13 | OS X Snow Leopard | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB RAM | 250 GB HDD | SuperDrive
    Raidmax Desktop | Windows XP | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad | 4 GB RAM | 500 GB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4850

Notebook Nobel Laureate

It looks more like a glare to me
    Alienware M11x - SU7300 / GT335m / 8gb DDR3 / 60gb Vertex II

Notebook Retailer

Thanks for fixing that.... It took me about an hour to put that info together after a long days work... so I'm glad there was only one.

In terms of pricing... not a clue. If I were to guess and I think I'm fairly good at doing so at this point, It looks like Asus is trying to not only target the market the XPS and whatever the high end Alienware model of the month is - but rather do with this model what they did with models like the W3, where they didn't just look to put our a ho-hum 14", but the best darn 14" out there.... and yet price it competitively. I would guess that pricing would be high, but similiar to the upper end of those models mentioned above. I haven't even looked at those models in a long time as they're not only out of the market we're in, but I'm more of a mobile machine which could also game a bit, instead of a gaming machine which also happens to be mobile. So, I don't know if that' $2,500 - $3,500 - but the spec and configuration will certainly be high to very high and certainly priced accordingly. Before anyone says "that's too much" - first it's a guess based on no specs, but it'll certainly target just the high end gamer (because the high end professional is already looking at the W and V series), so whatever the market will support for whatever high end spec they go with....... Beyond that I couldn't tell you.

Now, in terms of Santa Rosa.... I'm guessing, again... Yes, I think I'm good at guessing, but with the R1f that we finally just got today, there isn't much more room for a completely new model before the chipset change. The US usually likes to stay at least 5-6 months out from a chipset change when they bring in new models. So the end of October is really the cut off for a totally new model - in my opinion. Now, we'll certainly see it in Europe before the US as they've proved they can sell new models based on a current chipset right up until and even past when the following generation comes out.... If we don't see these in Europe by January, they may be late spring additions to the lineup. However, the US is in dire need of a real gaming system and perhaps that would rush those over here. I'm sure we'd all lot to have something like that for the holiday season, but these are just final prototype photos which come out at least a month or so before demo's are available and those are usually put out 45-60 days before production... then at best you're looking at a month after that before they could be ready for sale... and that's at BEST... So I figure at best, We'll see this for sale in March... we'll see.
    Click below to read my Asus news sticky and to find out more about the NBR Member Discount Program (updated 05/10)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show....php?p=1961738

Sam
    Notebook Virtuoso

Justin, can you tell if those webcams are 1.3 MP?

Notebook Deity

The G2P...*drools*

I'm a sucker for carbon fiber plus that thing just looks nice.

This is going to get me into some trouble...
    Hold on to the thread - the Currents will shift...

Notebook Deity

Oh my... That S7 looks mighty nice. Now all it needs is a docking bay or port replicator of some kind stock from Asus... I do love my aluminum touchpad surround/flush touchpad a lot.

The gaming laptops are not my cup of tea, but the design beats the pants off the XPS series or any of the painted whitebooks that Alienware or VoodooPC sell.
    Last edited by Jumper; 17th October 2006 at 08:18 PM.
    Lenovo ThinkPad Helix - Core i7-3667U 2.0 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3, 256 GB SSD, WWAN, Wacom
    ASUS UL30VT - C2D SU7300 1.73 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3, 120 GB OCZ Solid 3
    ASUS Z33Ae - P-M 760 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 GB DDR2, 80GB 7K100 7200RPM, 9-cell, Prime95 Stable < P-M ULV Voltages

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast