Quantcast ASUS UX32A Fan Goes On, Off, On, Off. - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ASUS UX32A Fan Goes On, Off, On, Off.

Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Default Re: ASUS UX32A Fan Goes On, Off, On, Off.

the fan protocol is sort of stupid. if you're going above and below 30c, the fan will go on and off.

i wish they had a protocol where they would leave the fans off till 40c, then run the fans to cool it down to 30c and then turn off again.
    that way, there's a 10c range of silence.

Notebook Guru

The fans are variable speed. When the temp threshold is reached, they should turn on ever so slightly so they're still inaudible. As the temps rise, they slowly spin up. INSTEAD, they turn on at 50% (which is fairly powerful), immediately cool down the component, and turn off.

From another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsmythe
    The 'solution' to the fan on/fan off problem is to uninstall the Intel dynamic platform thermal framework software (via Control Panel). I put 'solution' in quotes because, while the fan problem is solved, windows will now show 7 unknown devices in the hardware listing.

This worked for me with no apparent side-effects and I haven't heard of anyone for whom this has not fixed the problem. I remain hopeful that Asus will actually fix the problem though, either with a BIOS or driver update.

Notebook Deity

"I remain hopeful that Asus will actually fix the problem though, either with a BIOS or driver update."
    -Signed, Francis Drake, 1578, The Strait of Magellan.
    Asus r553ln - because the battery was so great.
    N56vz review -- Windows/linux setup guide MBR version. UEFI edition(upd. 08/14)

I've just purchased a UX31A, and I have the same fan speed issue. It works perfectly fine (and quietly) if I cold boot the PC, but if I resume it from sleep mode, the fan speed problem rears its head. See the attached image of Speedfan capturing the behavior -- this is with the CPU at 1% load continually through this crazy fan cycling.

If I reboot the PC, it works perfectly, and the fan is off or barely audible when the PC is idle at 1% as above. Back to sleep mode, resume, and this problem is right back.

Asus support was not helpful.

I updated the BIOS to the latest (212) on their web site, and no change was noticed.

Surely there is a fix out there someplace?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fanspeedproblem.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	84759

EDIT: I guess I'm too new or something to upload images? Anyway the graph looks just like a sawtooth between ~3400rpm and ~5100rpm...a slow fall down to 3400 then immediate vertical ramp to 5100rpm then slow drop, etc.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by alexd457 View Post
    The fans are variable speed. When the temp threshold is reached, they should turn on ever so slightly so they're still inaudible. As the temps rise, they slowly spin up. INSTEAD, they turn on at 50% (which is fairly powerful), immediately cool down the component, and turn off.

From another thread:
    I dont even have Intel Dynamic whatever you quoted installed...

Notebook Enthusiast

cross-posting this from another thread "Zenbook UX32VD noise/heat problems?" as I found this thread a little after posting there and I think this one is more relevant. Mod, please feel free to delete my post on the other thread

I received a UX32A two days ago and it has exhibited the same problem as above right from first use. The fan started whirring at full blast just a few seconds after starting up. It runs for a few (3-30) seconds before going completely off. Then upon opening anything (application, tab in google chrome, etc) it starts off again for a few seconds.

My bios version was 206 (this is the one that is listed on the Asus website as having an "Update to thermal policy".) I upgraded to the latest as of today, version 211. This has not made a difference.

I installed the software Speedfan, which tells you the temperature that each component is running at currently. From what I have observed the threshold for the fan to blast off on the UX32A seems to be 47C. Speedfan tells me the HDD is always under 40C. The SSD, CPU Core 0, and CPU Core 1 (i.e. the two-cores on the i5 dual-core processor) all work up to the 43-47C mark within a few minutes of boot up, just on light use (4-10 google chrome tabs, word processor). Then each time one of the components goes above 47C, the fan blasts off. A few seconds later the component is back to around 44C, then the fan stops. This increase of temp is when I'm not even doing anything sometimes!

I have asked amazon uk for a replacement which I will receive tomorrow. This one's going back but I hope the replacement doesn't have this problem! I will keep this thread updated.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by theroyale View Post
    My bios version was 206 (this is the one that is listed on the Asus website as having an "Update to thermal policy".) I upgraded to the latest as of today, version 211. This has not made a difference.
    That's because they haven't made any changes to the settings.

In the ux32 211 bios, they've set things like this:
    -Critical Trip Point: POR (Plan of Record - the point where the computer turns off - 100 degrees C).
    -Active Trip Point 0: 71 C
    -Active Trip Point 0 fan speed: 100 (%)
    -Active Trip Point 1: 55 C
    -Active Trip Point 1 Fan Speed: 75 (%)
    -Passive Trip Point: 95 C (where the processor starts throttling)

The temperatures here are on the processor die, not the ram, chassis temp, pcb, whatever. It's the processor dies, individually measured. So.. the first trip-point is 55 degrees, then the fan is set to 75%. On a 3.1Ghz Intel Processor, you typically get over this point at very light loads (or with bad cooling, you have that on idle). But it will usually idle at about 41-45 C. On the Zenbook, the heat isn't vented as easily, so it will idle a bit higher, and go higher on light loads.

The second trip-point is set to 71 degrees. Again, an intel core processor nowadays will reach 80 degrees pretty much instantly on heavy loads. But will drop below that fairly quickly again when the processors slow down again.

The "passive" trip point refers to the "passive cooling scheme". Passive cooling in this case means throttling the processor. Preventing it from enabling boost, etc.

In other words, when you start up the laptop, it will have the fan on whatever minimum frequency is set (they don't seem to have set a specific value for this in the bios). It will then go to 100% about two seconds after you use the processor on full burn. And the fan will then typically go back to idle again a few seconds after the traffic drops off.

Incidentally, the thermal policy on this rom is identical to the one on my n56vz. It's also identical to all other Asus laptop bioses I've looked at.

I.e., they don't really tweak them. They just use the same default settings on all the bioses for all their models.

So I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if a few other people than me sent a message to Asus support about it.. Even if I guess you will have to specify for them that you're not reacting to that the temperatures being too high, but that the fan goes off instantly, and that it's very loud when the temps are still low.
    I have asked amazon uk for a replacement which I will receive tomorrow. This one's going back but I hope the replacement doesn't have this problem!
    It won't make a difference.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by theroyale View Post
    cross-posting this from another thread "Zenbook UX32VD noise/heat problems?" as I found this thread a little after posting there and I think this one is more relevant. Mod, please feel free to delete my post on the other thread

I received a UX32A two days ago and it has exhibited the same problem as above right from first use. The fan started whirring at full blast just a few seconds after starting up. It runs for a few (3-30) seconds before going completely off. Then upon opening anything (application, tab in google chrome, etc) it starts off again for a few seconds.

I installed the software Speedfan, which tells you the temperature that each component is running at currently. From what I have observed the threshold for the fan to blast off on the UX32A seems to be 47C. Speedfan tells me the HDD is always under 40C. The SSD, CPU Core 0, and CPU Core 1 (i.e. the two-cores on the i5 dual-core processor) all work up to the 43-47C mark within a few minutes of boot up, just on light use (4-10 google chrome tabs, word processor). Then each time one of the components goes above 47C, the fan blasts off. A few seconds later the component is back to around 44C, then the fan stops. This increase of temp is when I'm not even doing anything sometimes!

I have asked amazon uk for a replacement which I will receive tomorrow. This one's going back but I hope the replacement doesn't have this problem! I will keep this thread updated.
    Right! Received my replacement UX32A and have been tracking the fan and the threshold temps using Speedfan right from first startup. This is what I have to report:

The threshold temperature is the same (47C) as the first UX32A. The fan kicks in once this temp is exceeded. BUT: It is at its quietest possible setting, a really quiet, almost peaceful sort of hiss that you can only really properly hear when you stick your ear to the fan vent. The sort of quiet hiss you've always heard and come to expect from laptops, nothing louder or more disturbing..

*Unlike* the initial UX32A I was sent! Which started its fan at the same 47C threshold, but went straight at full tilt (perhaps either at the 75% or the 100% fan rpm setting that the poster above mentions). So fast that within 2s of starting Speedfan would show a 3-4C drop in temp.

An important thing I noticed to corroborate this is that Speedfan actually returns a reading for the fan RPM (3075 RPM in my screenshot below) in my replacement UX32A:

Replacement UX32A, fan running. Barely audible. Steady drop in temp until switching off once below 47C.

Name:	ReplacedUX32A.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	84791

Initial UX32A, fan running. Loud. Drastic drops in temp. Fan kicking on and off repeatedly.

Name:	InitialUX32A.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	84792

See that in the second case the fan speed is not captured (the 10-digit RPM reading seems to be a placeholder default: it shows even when the fan is off).

Note that on my replacement UX32A I did not try any of the other things that people around the internet have been doing (uninstalling Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework, upgrading or downgrading the BIOS, playing around with the System Cooling Policy setting). Worth mentioning perhaps that I tried all of these on my initial UX32A and nothing has helped.

In conclusion I am entirely happy with the replacement I have been sent after my initial UX32A's fan noise problems. I'm not highly technical so it would help other owners if people more familiar with Motherboard/BIOS workings etc can comment on the above. But based on these tests I've run and having read quite extensively whatever people have posted online, some Asus Zenbook UX32A machines seem to have an error of some sort that tells the fan to run much louder than it needs to once it breaches the first temperature threshold.

On this count I will have to disagree with the poster above (nipsen) who seems to suggest that this is entirely expected behaviour for asus ultrabooks: how do you account for the difference in fan noise between the two new UX32As sitting in front of me?

For those who're stuck with this problem, if you're within your replacement period, stop worrying, go ahead and send it back and get a new machine!

Notebook Enthusiast

It's unlikely that Asus will actually have the fan issues fixed any time soon. They're going to do what they do best: release another dozen models that are fixed and forget about its previous customers.

My UX32VD after some light use also have its fans blazing for a long time before it dies down. Why couldn't Asus have gone with a less aggressive fan profile? Or maybe a fan that's a bit quieter?

So much for R&D. It seems like they just draw up plans but don't actually test the products. No QC whatsoever.

I mean, what's up with the backlight bleeding issue? It would have taken an Asus employee like 10 minutes to notice such an obvious problem. I mean the whole selling point of the UX32 series IS the 1080p IPS panel being squeezed onto a 13 inch display. Some bought those things in order to watch movies on long flights. But it's obvious they don't care enough to revise their work.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ultranook View Post
    But it's obvious they don't care enough to revise their work.
    Mm.. this has been going on for a while, it turns out.. They use these braindead bios settings for every single one of their laptops. The hardware works well, though.

Like I said, it's the same settings across all kinds of different processors and setups. Seems they haven't revised this stuff in years.

So the only problem is that the bios tweaks don't correspond to the actual hardware. Would perhaps be thought of as a problem by some laptop-manufacturers. Embarrassing, even.

But not Asus. Because they want to be like Apple, I hear. Except they're pretending they have one single hardware profile a bit early, or something..

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast