Quantcast Asus UX31A Fresh Install Guide - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Asus UX31A Fresh Install Guide

The fan issues can be solved by uninstalling Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from Control Panel -> Program and Features. The fan noise only arises when the system returns from a standby or hibernate and not on a fresh start up. This is definitely a bug. I'm waiting for a bug fix from Asus which will deal with this framework.

The problem after uninstalling is that, you will see some 6 devices in the devicemanager as unrecognized devices which are used by this framework.

Quote Originally Posted by Godhamba View Post
    Wow, this is an extremely helpful post. Thanks so much for sharing your experience - I've been wary of doing a clean install because of obstacles precisely like the kind you mentioned. I'm going to take the plunge and will report back. Two questions:

1. Is there a need to save the 4GB partition with a certain specific name or format or does the Rapid Start driver package simply find and install itself onto the 4GB just because it is there?

2. Have you noticed any fan issues after doing the clean install? I feel lucky that my DB51 does not exhibit any of the fan issues that folks seem to be suffering, and my worry is that by doing a clean install, I risk kicking an introduction of the issue. I know its absurd that I should have to hesitate to install an OS for fear of such a problem, but the fact does remain that no one has yet been able to pinpoint what's causing the fan-cycling issue.

The one issue I have noticed so far is that the wireless toggle (FN +F2) does not work for me--the toggle will turn off bluetooth but not the wifi adapter. Any ideas? I've tried reinstalling all drivers and the ATK Package multiple times and still no dice. Not a huge deal but it would be nice if I could figure out how to get it to work. I'm also not convinced the auto screen brightness sensor works but I'm less worried about that one. Every other toggle seems to work correctly.

Thanks yinyangtkd for the guide!

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by abba4u View Post
    The fan issues can be solved by uninstalling Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from Control Panel -> Program and Features. The fan noise only arises when the system returns from a standby or hibernate and not on a fresh start up. This is definitely a bug. I'm waiting for a bug fix from Asus which will deal with this framework.

The problem after uninstalling is that, you will see some 6 devices in the devicemanager as unrecognized devices which are used by this framework.
    I beg to differ. I have the thermal framework installed (see attachment), and I rarely hear my fan. I use this machine for work (I work in a school district, moving from location to location), and constantly jump in and out of sleep. The only time it spins up is when it needs to, which is when I play HD video or games.

I don't quite understand the cause of these issues. Before exchanging my first UX31A (random shutdowns), I did have this problem, but I hadn't done a fresh install on that one. I know for a fact that on that one I had the same BIOS version (206), and the same ATKACPI driver version, so the related driver left that I see is indeed the thermal framework, but I wonder if they come out of the box with an outdated version, and it just isn't something people think of updating. It took some trial and error for me to find exactly what drivers I needed to eliminate all unknown devices, and these miscellaneous intel drivers made up, unexpectedly, the bulk of them.

As for the wireless toggle, I can't say I've had that issue. The hotkey didn't work at all until I installed the "ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility" from the Asus driver page. I am using this in combination with the most recent 6235 driver from Intel, and I've had no issues whatsoever. Check that you have that Asus driver installed, that and the wireless driver itself should be all you need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thermal.png  

Notebook Enthusiast

Okay okay... Lets sort this out. Did you ever experience the fan revving up problem? See we have two versions of this zenbook here. about 40% I guess have fan problem. But there are the other 60 % zenbook owners... the luckiest one without this problem. And they do have the thermal framework installed and they have no problems with the fan whatsoever. I believe you are one among them. And people like me who are sufffering with the fan problem can uninstall this stupid framework. For me and many others... this works... no more fireworks from the fan.

And BTW I experienced a random shutdown yesterday(first time). Now I'm really scared. Should I return it or not? I'vent done any Fresh Install... but all my drivers and everything is upto date. Will Fresh Install help.???

Quote Originally Posted by yinyangtkd View Post
    I beg to differ. I have the thermal framework installed (see attachment), and I rarely hear my fan. I use this machine for work (I work in a school district, moving from location to location), and constantly jump in and out of sleep. The only time it spins up is when it needs to, which is when I play HD video or games.

I don't quite understand the cause of these issues. Before exchanging my first UX31A (random shutdowns), I did have this problem, but I hadn't done a fresh install on that one. I know for a fact that on that one I had the same BIOS version (206), and the same ATKACPI driver version, so the related driver left that I see is indeed the thermal framework, but I wonder if they come out of the box with an outdated version, and it just isn't something people think of updating. It took some trial and error for me to find exactly what drivers I needed to eliminate all unknown devices, and these miscellaneous intel drivers made up, unexpectedly, the bulk of them.

As for the wireless toggle, I can't say I've had that issue. The hotkey didn't work at all until I installed the "ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility" from the Asus driver page. I am using this in combination with the most recent 6235 driver from Intel, and I've had no issues whatsoever. Check that you have that Asus driver installed, that and the wireless driver itself should be all you need.

I got my fan problem solved. Originally my fan worked normally then I noticed that it started running a lot on high then off again. I found many posts and no resolution that satisfied me. Mine ran normally to start with I figured it had to be something I installed that caused it. I decided to do a restore but my points didn't go back very far so I checked as far back as I could to see what would be uninstall if I did a restore. These items were on the list:
    opera 12.01
    sugar sync 1.9.71.94365
    reader x mui 10.0.0
    flash player 10 plugin 10.0.32.18

I uninstalled them all, restarted my computer and wala no more crazy fan. I ran a bunch of videos simultaiiously and monitored the temperatures to verify that the fan still works normally and it does. So my fan problem is fixed. I'm going to go back and try to figure out which one it is that did it now. I hope this helps others with this problem-I was about to return mine because it was making the battery life lower as well.

First of all, thanks to yinyangtkd for being the first (and still the only) kind soul out there to post this guide - kudos and gratitude.

Has anyone dealt with the GPT issue yet? My UX31A (DB71) came with GPT instead of MBR, and I am wondering if I need to do anything special before deleting the partitions and booting from a Windows CD (I have an external DVD drive already, so I plan to use it for the fresh install).

I've been reading up on GPT and find it a bit confusing. Do I need to convert it to MBR first using Diskpart or Disk Managment or some third party software, or will this option come up during the install? I've held onto XP thus far, but I plan to use Windows 7 Pro now, and I'm not familiar with it.

Any help is much appreciated. My new beast is now 3 days old but I haven't been able to really get any mileage out of it because I'm trying to figure out how to reformat it first!

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi, I've a question about intel rapid start tecnology, I've followed your usefull guide for install this utility, but I can't found the options in the bios to activate IRST. How can I know if I 've right installed everything? After the installation I haven' t the intel utility to check it...

Notebook Enthusiast

Simply boot using your Windows Installation disk and when you get to the screen where you determine installation, simply delete all of the partitions and then create a new one. Don't be afraid to delete all of them.

Before doing any of this, however, you may want to use the ASUS recovery program (already preinstalled) to make copies of the recovery disks. It allows you burn disks or save images in either an DVD-sized or Blu-Ray sized ISO format.

delete all the partitions
    Quote Originally Posted by wipedwired View Post
    First of all, thanks to yinyangtkd for being the first (and still the only) kind soul out there to post this guide - kudos and gratitude.

Has anyone dealt with the GPT issue yet? My UX31A (DB71) came with GPT instead of MBR, and I am wondering if I need to do anything special before deleting the partitions and booting from a Windows CD (I have an external DVD drive already, so I plan to use it for the fresh install).

I've been reading up on GPT and find it a bit confusing. Do I need to convert it to MBR first using Diskpart or Disk Managment or some third party software, or will this option come up during the install? I've held onto XP thus far, but I plan to use Windows 7 Pro now, and I'm not familiar with it.

Any help is much appreciated. My new beast is now 3 days old but I haven't been able to really get any mileage out of it because I'm trying to figure out how to reformat it first!

Notebook Enthusiast

From my recollection, there is not in the BIOS that needs to be tinkered with. Simply follow the linked PDF guide to create the partition and then install the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by serp46 View Post
    Hi, I've a question about intel rapid start tecnology, I've followed your usefull guide for install this utility, but I can't found the options in the bios to activate IRST. How can I know if I 've right installed everything? After the installation I haven' t the intel utility to check it...

Notebook Enthusiast

Ok, but in the pdf there is also suggest to change something in the bios. Anyway I installed like you sad, but I didn't noticed any difference. I tried to hibernate the system with or without the IRST and nothing change. There is no solution to check if I've correctly installed irst?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast