Quantcast Asus and Dell, Asus really that good?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Asus and Dell, Asus really that good?

Well, I ordered a Dell XPS m1210 a week ago and actually called to cancel the order today. I did for a few reasons, one that 12" may be too small, but a big reason because lots of people (at least on this site) seem to love Asus notebooks and I've never even heard of the company. Can anyone please give me a little on Asus and why you guys think they may be better than a solid company like Dell? I'm still in dire need of a notebook and may end up repurchasing the m1210, but definitely want to check out all my options. Thanks. -Will
    Last edited by doogieduff; 27th July 2006 at 12:06 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Asus and Dell, Asus really that good?

ASUS makes more then jsut laptops. They have been making computer components for a long time (such as motherboards).

Also, ASUS makes many laptops for other companies. I believe they have orders from Apple to make the 13" macbooks. I believe they make some Sony notebooks and Dell notebooks as well, or at least have orders to make them in the future.

Check the ASUS FAQ thread. I think their contract details may be mentioned there.

Notebook Virtuoso

Yes take a quick read thru the faq's and also have a look at a few posts/reviews of notebooks...I suggest the W3 and W7 series might be a good place to start, they are the 2 most popular light and portable notebooks at the moment.
    a
    Macbook Alu 2.4Ghz
    White Apple Macbook C2D
    iPhone 3G

Notebook Consultant

well the reason you haven't heard the brand Asus was that they were not really making their own for some time. They were working under larger corporations manufacuring major components whether it be the motherboards, HD or screens. They recently decided to manufacture their own lineup of laptops which have a very sold build and great performance. Visit their main site or read the faq to learn more.

Notebook Enthusiast

Yes - Asus is THAT good!
    Dell is THAT bad!

I'm done with Dell's forever and I'm in love with my Asus' computers.

From what I've read, it seems that purchasing and maintaining an Asus may be a bit more complicated as you must go through a reseller for purchase and/or repair. I don't know the percentages of sales to problems, but I read way more posts about Asus users having problems than Dell users. I know problems are inevitable but convenience and speedy downtime are important to me (as I know practically nothing about computers) and from what I've read, Dell is tops at customer service. I'm pretty much sold on an Asus or Dell, (would consider Sony, but don't they seem way more expensive than everyone else?) but also want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

michdude, why is Dell THAT bad? Objective opinions scream much louder than subjective ones.

SRD
    Notebook Virtuoso

actually its easier. the reseller support is far above dells. You can get real answers any time. and the ensembles series are handled by asus. overall better support than from dell by far.
    ------------------------------------------------

SRD.....www.technologygurus.net

NBR Reviewer

Just pick up any PC related magazine and you'll see "ASUS" mentioned many times.

It's good that you decided to give ASUS a chance. Dell is pretty good value I guess, but ASUS is simply just good stuff. Do yourself a favour and hop down to an ASUS retailer near you to take a look and see if their laptops are to your liking.

Notebook Geek

"I don't know the percentages of sales to problems, but I read way more posts about Asus users having problems than Dell users."

Keep in mind that you will get a skewed view of the problems if you rely on the forums because not many people will say that their ASUS has no problems; people will tend to only post if they have problems. I guess a way you could think about it is compare the number of people that have problems with the number of people who absolutely love their ASUS I, for one, am a extremely satisfied ASUS owner and my old Dell doesn't compare to the build quality of the ASUS. My dad just bought a E1505 and my W3J is built better inch per inch...a completely plastic case found in the Dells just doesn't cut it with my brushed anodized metal and carbon fiber casing on the W3J.

In the end, you'll have to make up your own mind about it. Just because you've never heard of ASUS before doesn't mean that it's not an excellent brand. I too never heard of ASUS before until I did my research on laptops and I decided to take the W3J over the Lenovo T60 and have never looked back since (though you couldn't go too far wrong with the T60 as well ).
    ASUS W3J: Intel Duo Core T2500 (2.0 GHz) | 14'' WXGA | 1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM x 1 stick | ATI MR X1600 256 MB dedicated | 100 GB 5400 RPM | 8X DVD+/-R Burner | Intel PRO/Wireless A/B/G | Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 | Windows XP Pro

Want to know which GPU is better for gaming? Click here .

Thanks for the input, please keep it coming.

How would I find an Asus retailer? (I'm in Colorado)

What do Asus lovers think of Dell's new m1210?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast