Quantcast Asus UX31 Ultrabook - Page 119

+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 297 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 2962
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Asus UX31 Ultrabook

I just ordered one on buy.com, will see how it compares to the series 9 I had :/

Was looking at the i5 versions and i7 version and based n benchmarks there doesn't seem to be much advantage t the i7..am I mistaken?

Notebook Enthusiast

hi @ all
    Yesterday i received my ux31 (i5, 256ssd) from amazon.de. I tested everything till today and this is some kind of my first resume on this machine:

Pros:

Very very solid build quality, and beautiful to look at

The Keyboard is "something else" then all other keyboards i have used, but after one day of usage im allmost fully used to it. I missed some keys sometimes but its not that big issue to me as i though it would be. The keyboard is capable of registering all keys even while really fast typing.

The touchpad is working pretty well for me (in windows). All multi touch gestures get recognized as well as i can imagine. But im not a reference multi touch user. (touchpad: latest update, bios 206)

The sound quality is realy amazing! I never expected something like that out of such a small notebook

I think its too early to lose words on battery runtime, but it seems to be like 4-6 hours depending on usage. (Im fully okay with that)

Cons:

The wifi is maybe the dealbreaker for me... I updated the driver, the bios is up to date to (206), but i cant get a signal strength and data troughput like on other older machines. The troughput is changing all the time between fullspeed and allmost nothing. To have continuous internet connection i have to stay realy near to the router. I already set the power saving mode for the wifi device to Maximum power and disabled the MIMO power saving but noticed no improvements. A lot of people have similar problems, so i think its not a single failure on my machine.

Linux is running quiet well in all but the touchpad (no scrolling). Even suspend / hibernate problem is solved. The touchpad producer Sentelic doesn't provide a driver for linux, so atm there is no hope.

If i cant solve the problem on wifi in the next days (new driver or something) i will return my zenbook.
    I hope i could help some people to decide on buing or not.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    (Sorry for typo mistakes, im a german

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by mightyI View Post
    hi @ all
    Yesterday i received my ux31 (i5, 256ssd) from amazon.de. I tested everything till today and this is some kind of my first resume on this machine:

Pros:

Very very solid build quality, and beautiful to look at

The Keyboard is "something else" then all other keyboards i have used, but after one day of usage im allmost fully used to it. I missed some keys sometimes but its not that big issue to me as i though it would be. The keyboard is capable of registering all keys even while really fast typing.

The touchpad is working pretty well for me (in windows). All multi touch gestures get recognized as well as i can imagine. But im not a reference multi touch user. (touchpad: latest update, bios 206)

The sound quality is realy amazing! I never expected something like that out of such a small notebook

I think its too early to lose words on battery runtime, but it seems to be like 4-6 hours depending on usage. (Im fully okay with that)

Cons:

The wifi is maybe the dealbreaker for me... I updated the driver, the bios is up to date to (206), but i cant get a signal strength and data troughput like on other older machines. The troughput is changing all the time between fullspeed and allmost nothing. To have continuous internet connection i have to stay realy near to the router. I already set the power saving mode for the wifi device to Maximum power and disabled the MIMO power saving but noticed no improvements. A lot of people have similar problems, so i think its not a single failure on my machine.

Linux is running quiet well in all but the touchpad (no scrolling). Even suspend / hibernate problem is solved. The touchpad producer Sentelic doesn't provide a driver for linux, so atm there is no hope.

If i cant solve the problem on wifi in the next days (new driver or something) i will return my zenbook.
    I hope i could help some people to decide on buing or not.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    (Sorry for typo mistakes, im a german
    A lot who? I don't have this issue.

The up-to-date bios is 207 not 206.

Have you tried to install the up-to-date WIFI driver? And not just the BIOS?

Notebook Enthusiast

Yeah i updated the driver allready. (See my post - section wifi).

Maybe i should try the new bios but in the changelog is nothing written about wifi... (im worried about the warranty when i flash and install to much...)

Do you had this much problems before bios 207 ?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by mightyI View Post

Sounds like a faulty card on your zenbook. My router is a floor below and two rooms apart and i am getting 70% (router admin page) signal strength. Im on 206 bios and the driver for the network card is 9.2.1.432

Notebook Evangelist

My Wifi driver is: 9.2.1.459
    Date: 2011-10-20

I had temporary wifi disconnect (without actually disconnecting) with the default driver.

I just ran a CrystalDiskMark benchmark test on my 256gb Sandisk SSD and have compared it to the 128gb Adata SSD which is Sandforce driven, here are the results:

Not an expert so can't tell which one is actually better but thought it may help people since I couldn't see same test done yet...

Notebook Evangelist

@motlking

I have learned that, for normal use, that the most important numbers are the 4K WRITES. With a score of 47 MB/s vs. 12 MB/s, the Adata Sandforce is much superior.

I would have expected an even higher score from it though as a Runcore T50 6Gb/s (SATA 3) drive has 4K WRITES of 96 MB/s (but maybe that just shows how good the Runcore T50 is).
    ThinkPad X220, i7-2640M, IPS LCD, 8GB HyperX, Runcore Pro V 120GB mSata + Intel 160GB SSDs, Intel 6300 3x3, FPR, BT, UEFI, Win8 x64 Pro, WinXP Pro, 3.07 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by kalahari View Post
    @motlking

I have learned that, for normal use, that the most important numbers are the 4K WRITES. With a score of 47 MB/s vs. 12 MB/s, the Adata Sandforce is much superior.

I would have expected an even higher score from it though as a Runcore T50 6Gb/s (SATA 3) drive has 4K WRITES of 96 MB/s (but maybe that just shows how good the Runcore T50 is).

Ah, that really sucks for me then hey. I thought the 4k results were quite low
    Thanks for the info though, good to know!

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by motlking View Post
    Ah, that really sucks for me then hey. I thought the 4k results were quite low
    Thanks for the info though, good to know!
    Actually, that SSD is not bad. Most people probably wouldn't notice the difference. The SSD in the Toshiba Z830 (which I'm considering purchasing!) has 4K WRITES of only 4 MB/s...
    ThinkPad X220, i7-2640M, IPS LCD, 8GB HyperX, Runcore Pro V 120GB mSata + Intel 160GB SSDs, Intel 6300 3x3, FPR, BT, UEFI, Win8 x64 Pro, WinXP Pro, 3.07 lbs