Quantcast Asus vs. Dell

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asus vs. Dell

Notebook Consultant

Default Asus vs. Dell

Help me out, I am in need of advising here...

S96J vs. the E1705... 15" vs 17", X1600 vs. 7800 go.

The Dell seems to have the Asus beat, but I am thinking this battle comes down to user reviews and preferences. Can someone tell me what makes the Asus the better choice of laptop over the Dell, or, what makes the Dell better?

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Asus vs. Dell

Asus' laptops have gained respect in build quality and the sleek designs they have.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

True, but the S96f isn't the prettiest thing of their batch, nor the best built, nor the best quality in terms of materials and design.

Pretty much, at 15.4", the S96j is the best bang for your buck. at 17", the e1705 is unbeatable for the best deal for your money.

In the end, do you want a 17", or a 15.4"?
    Alienware M11x - SU7300 / GT335m / 8gb DDR3 / 60gb Vertex II

Notebook Virtuoso

It's mostly the size difference that would make the difference between the two, ASUS does have excellent build quality, but that's more on their ensemble models, their built-ons are good, but they're in a completely different class.
    Dell XPS M1210 : T5600 | 120GB 5400 | 1GB PC-533 | nVidia GO 7400 [Motherboard Fried]
    Dell E1705 : T5600 | 80GB 5400 | 1GB PC-667 | nVidia GeForce 7900GS [GPU Parity Errors]

Notebook Enthusiast

I think there are multiple answers to that question, but it comes down to portability in my opinion. The E1705 weighs more than the S96J, although, granted, not by that much. The E1705's chassis is also slightly bigger. However, with a heavier and bigger chassis comes improved performance. The GeForce Go 7800 will outperform the Mobility Radeon X1600 on 3dMark05 and in games. Still, if you're a user like me, performance and portability come hand in hand. That's why I've been eyeing the S96J with more interest than, say, the E1705 or the Toshiba P105-S921(http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...HO&coid=-30597) which has a GeForce Go 7900GS (reportedly getting 6200 in 3dMark05, and it's available on Amazon for $1850!). The E1705 also looks better, in my opinion. The S96J is pretty bland in appearance. But again, it's really a case of performance vs. portability.

Notebook Virtuoso

The S96j weighs less than 6lb. whereas the E1705 weighs nearly 8lb, rather large difference.
    Dell XPS M1210 : T5600 | 120GB 5400 | 1GB PC-533 | nVidia GO 7400 [Motherboard Fried]
    Dell E1705 : T5600 | 80GB 5400 | 1GB PC-667 | nVidia GeForce 7900GS [GPU Parity Errors]

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by coriolis
    True, but the S96f isn't the prettiest thing of their batch, nor the best built, nor the best quality in terms of materials and design.

Pretty much, at 15.4", the S96j is the best bang for your buck. at 17", the e1705 is unbeatable for the best deal for your money.

In the end, do you want a 17", or a 15.4"?
    hey now... the S96J isn't that ugly, to me anyways, but could you elaborate more on the quality of materials and how this may effect me? low quality materials as in it will break easy? or low quality as in plastic over metal?

I have the same problem too. Dell or Asus. I really like the S96J/Z96J because of it doesn't look that bad and I'm pretty sure I'd be the only person at my school with an Asus as opposed to the over populated Dell Inspirons. I'm stuck between a Dell m1710 or e1705 or the Asus S96J. I don't like the m1710 because its so ugly and way to big. The e1705 isn't much prettier than the m1710 and its about the same size, but with a weaker GPU. The S96J is the right size with a nice look compared to the Dell's. The only negative thing about the S96J is the weaker GPU.

The question you need to answer to help you decide on what you want is, what am I going to do with the laptop?

I think I'm going with the Asus because I don't think I'd notice that much a performance difference with the weaker graphics card. The only games I have on my computer are CS, Guild Wars, and WoW.

The W3J is probably the sexiest Asus laptop I've seen and its specs are as good as the Z96J, but at 14.1in. I'm afraid of the W3J's because I read some stuff about them overheating or running too hot.
    Retired: Dimension 8200
    Current: MacBook Black
    Future: 64bit Conroe/Merom iMac or Power Mac and (maybe) upgrade to MacBook Pro

DrB
    Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ael719
    The W3J is probably the sexiest Asus laptop I've seen and its specs are as good as the Z96J, but at 14.1in. I'm afraid of the W3J's because I read some stuff about them overheating or running too hot.
    I've seen quite a few threads here and elsewhere about people worrying about over heating on the W3j. I have yet to read ONE confirmed report of it actually overheating and causing a problem/crashes/screen defects - for performance or the comfort of someones hand/lap.
    Could you let us know where this "oveheating" problem has been concretely documented before? Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you. It's just that there has been so much speculation on this heat issue that I'd love the real world opinion of half a dozen users before we buy.
    Last edited by DrB; 17th May 2006 at 10:34 PM.

Notebook Geek

well im thinking about the s96j because looks aren't that important to me, and for the money the s96j is amazing of preformance/ buck of course the improvement of the gpu's is substantial, but the question is will you need it? the x1600 atm can run pretty much everything out at upper-mid/high settings and to me that's pretty safe for a couple of years of games even to come. I'm still using my 3 year old 9700 ati desktop and it is fine=P, but i guess beucase my price range isn't that high the 1705 with the nvidia is out of my price range.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by necknight
    well im thinking about the s96j because looks aren't that important to me, and for the money the s96j is amazing of preformance/ buck of course the improvement of the gpu's is substantial, but the question is will you need it? the x1600 atm can run pretty much everything out at upper-mid/high settings and to me that's pretty safe for a couple of years of games even to come. I'm still using my 3 year old 9700 ati desktop and it is fine=P, but i guess beucase my price range isn't that high the 1705 with the nvidia is out of my price range.
    that sound's right. you will notice the performance difference on youre GPU, like i did from my radeon 7000
    Asus A8Jm + 3GB RAM (RIP!) |Samsung Galaxy Spica + 4GB MicroSD | iPod Touch 2G 8GB

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast