Quantcast Power4 Gear and Windows Power Settings?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Power4 Gear and Windows Power Settings?

I'm using P4Gear to control my fan during classes, but it doesn't seem to override the Windows Power Settings. (i.e. when I close my lid and reopen it, it resets it self to the Windows Power Saver)

Should I keep P4G? Or just use Windows Power Settings? I can't seem to keep my fan quiet when just taking notes. I tried NHC, but it doesn't even start up, so...

Help please!

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Power4 Gear and Windows Power Settings?

Whichever one you use, you should be able to go in to the advanced settings and leave cooling to passive. Downclocking the GPU should definitely shut it up as well, but just be aware of the risks of a GSOD that may be involved. IE test it first.

Also... you're using this beast in class?! lol

G73JH-X1 - Intel M-25 160gb SSD w/ 500gb HD | Intel Centrino 6200 Wireless card | Sony BD-5730S 6x BD Blu-ray Writer
    Want to swap out the bezel on your optical drive?
    G73 Disassembly Guide

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
    Whichever one you use, you should be able to go in to the advanced settings and leave cooling to passive. Downclocking the GPU should definitely shut it up as well, but just be aware of the risks of a GSOD that may be involved. IE test it first.

Why not? I needed a compromise between gaming power and use for classes. And thanks for the reply. NHC doesn't even start on mine and there are no advanced settings on P4G.

Any other way to slow the fan down?

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post

G51vx?

Set P4G "quiet office" as such:

Maximum Battery Saving, 5 - 70% (move it to 100 if you can keep it quiet).

Then, as suggested above in the windows power manager, go to advanced power --> processor power management --> passive. You should be able to change the settings for the power 4 gear profile.

One or the other or both should fix your problem. You dont need all that CPU power for a digital notepad now do you :P.

Oh and a tip from a student to a student: don't ruin your hard drive like I did and carry that laptop around in sleep mode all day! You run the risk of damaging all your school work!
    ASUS G51J w/ Optimized + Vent Mod
    Load Temps Max 88 Degrees (no OC)

My G51J Temperature Guide: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ml#post6213152

Notebook Evangelist

Thanks for the warning. I use hibernate anyways.

Should I have Windows Power Settings set to Battery Saver? Or High Performance? Which power plan should I change the processor power management to passive?
    Last edited by Pluberus; 8th May 2010 at 10:03 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Pluberus View Post
    Thanks for the warning. I use hibernate anyways.

Should I have Windows Power Settings set to Battery Saver? Or High Performance? Which power plan should I change the processor power management to passive?
    Battery saver = passive
    High Performance = Active

For low noise, always use battery saver.

If you don't have power 4 gear installed, I would strongly recomend it. It seems that the built in power saving in Windows 7 is not nearly as configurable as in power 4 gear.

My G51J Temperature Guide: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ml#post6213152

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by paperbag846 View Post
    Battery saver = passive
    High Performance = Active

For low noise, always use battery saver.

If you don't have power 4 gear installed, I would strongly recomend it. It seems that the built in power saving in Windows 7 is not nearly as configurable as in power 4 gear.
    Thanks for the reply! Windows Power Settings look just as configurable to me. Is there some sort of advantage to using the P4G vs normal windows configurations?

Notebook Consultant

I personally find Power 4 Gear to be more agressive in the power saving department.

E.g., Maximum battery saving seems to lock the CPU at 933 MHZ, reducing heat for non-busy tasks. This is where you will see the quietest operation.

Also, Moderate Battery Savings helps keep gaming temps down, because the CPU locks at 30 Watts vs. 55 watts. Most games do not use the full potential of the i7 yet, and I find less cpu heat reduces GPU temps by about 5 or 6 degrees.

Even with "passive" and 5 - 70% in the power saving plan, I see the CPU multiplier jumping around quite a bit. It's just not as configurable.

Besides, it's nice to have access to 4 power profiles through the dediated hotkey with power4gear.

You can verify this activity yourself with GPU-Z.

----

Also, Power 4 Gear gives you access to "TUrbo" and "Extreme Turbo" mode - an overclocking utility for when you REALLY need that extra CPU juice.