Quantcast Asus Video Magic

Closed Thread
    Notebook Deity

Default Asus Video Magic

I have this preinstalled on my system, getting a bit annoyed at all the upgrade notifications. Also sometimes when playing a Blu-Ray if I stop it then restart it asks to upgrade in order to continue playback, so I do this and it gets stuck in a loop until I remove the disk ( asks over and over again! )

First off is there a way to disable upgrade notifications. Secondly, is there a patch for the OEM version? I checked the Cyberlink site, but with no luck as it only for retail.

I am thinking of dumping the whole suite, am I losing anything by doing this?
    Apple Macbook Pro 15 - 4GB Ram - 2.3ghz Quad Core - 500GB HDD - nVidia GT 650M

Video Review of the DELL XPS 15 L521X here!

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Asus Video Magic

Remove it and see if you can live without it. If not, you can always reinstall it.
    Asus G50V-A2
    T9400 2.53 GHz, 8.00 gb ram, 1-160gb Intel X25-M SSD, 1-500gb 7200 rpm drive, nVidia GeForce 9700M GT
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64, Ubuntu 12.04 X64
    Clevo D901C
    Q9650 3.0 GHz, 4096mb ram, 1-80gb Intel X25-M SSD, 2-WD 320gb 7200 rpm drives, nVidia GeForce 9800M GT
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64

HTC Evo Mik 3.11

NBR Random Reviewer

Try WinDVD 8 instead of Asus Video Magic (aka PowerDVD)
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...B20100_2ch.zip
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

Ceiling Cat Is Watching U

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Try WinDVD 8 instead of Asus Video Magic (aka PowerDVD)
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...B20100_2ch.zip
    The ASUS website is often slow and can be a jumbled mess. Using the two methods I'm familiar with to narrow down what I'm looking for at ASUS I could not find the version you listed.

Using my familiar methods, each found WinDVD8 V8.0.B09.579 (Vista 64), while yours appears to be WinDVD8 v8.0 B20.100 (Vista 64). The two archive files are not only different sizes, but contain different size files, so it's not just a compression difference. How did you find your version?

Also, one thing they have in common is that the archive file name includes a conspicuous "2ch". Do you know if these version of WinDVD are crippled and are limiting the 7 channel audio to 2 channel?

The reason I'm asking as I want to update my install guide to include links to the missing software for A1 users. Since I don't have a Blu-ray drive on my X1, I don't have a way to test this myself.

NBR Random Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Kalim View Post
    The ASUS website is often slow and can be a jumbled mess. Using the two methods I'm familiar with to narrow down what I'm looking for at ASUS I could not find the version you listed.

Using my familiar methods, each found WinDVD8 V8.0.B09.579 (Vista 64), while yours appears to be WinDVD8 v8.0 B20.100 (Vista 64). The two archive files are not only different sizes, but contain different size files, so it's not just a compression difference. How did you find your version?

Also, one thing they have in common is that the archive file name includes a conspicuous "2ch". Do you know if these version of WinDVD are crippled and are limiting the 7 channel audio to 2 channel?

The reason I'm asking as I want to update my install guide to include links to the missing software for A1 users. Since I don't have a Blu-ray drive on my X1, I don't have a way to test this myself.
    A friend of mine working at Asus sent me that link a while ago

I've never used WinDVD so I can't say if the "2ch" means 2 channels or not. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM software provided by Asus are limited in comparison to the retail versions.
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

Ceiling Cat Is Watching U

A friend of mine working at Asus sent me that link a while ago
    Strange that the link hasn't made it to the site in a more obvious way as the version difference appears to be significant. I'm not suggesting that it's anything more than an oversight on their part.

I've never used WinDVD so I can't say if the "2ch" means 2 channels or not. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM software provided by Asus are limited in comparison to the retail versions.
    Yeah, I can see someone at Corel Corporation justifying it by saying, 'there's only two speakers on the laptop', completely overlooking that there is a HDMI connector on the side which supports 7 channel audio. Not that InterVideo would have done it differently when they owned WinDVD.

If it's all the same with you, I'll use your link instead of the site link.