Quantcast UL30 Backlit Keyboard Mod

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default UL30 Backlit Keyboard Mod

Welcome to the awesome UL30 backlit keyboard thread! Here you will find a mod that really shouldn't be here and should of come built in with the notebook... but oh well. Here's a semi-walkthrough of what I did.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Extra Tips/Modifications

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Materials
    • Backlit Keyboard - KEYBOARD 302mm BACKLIGHT (US)
      ***IF NOT IN STOCK, look up "U80 keyboard" "backlit" "302mm" (a combination of these terms) on eBay, you should find a backlit one for sale***
      The size must be 302mm, it seems to be there standard size for 12" to 14" so it shouldn't be an issue.

• Thin Gauge Wire - something around or less than 28-30 AWG

• Tape - to hold things down to make it easier

• Patience/dexterity - no need to rush ;D

Starting off... here is the monsterous box that it came in. At least there was no chance of damage haha...

Some pics between the normal keyboard and the backlit keyboard. Notice that the backlit keyboard is of much higher quality, looks and feels smoother and (imo) quieter too! The backlit keyboard is also slightly thicker by 1 or 2 mm, but I haven't seen any marks on my screen or anything so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Firstly, open up the keyboard by using a screwdriver to pry the clips holding the keyboard down. Try to be gentle, as they can break. (stole your pic Convoluted =D)

The keyboard clip thing is covered by tape. Take that off and pull the clip upwards to remove it. Here's a pic comparing the two keyboard connections. BE VERY CAREFUL, as this little orange thing is really fragile, and can rip easily, as I have done in the 2nd pic. I did manage to fix it, but it's not fun to do so.

You will (obviously) notice that there is an extra yellow flat flex cable. This is needed to power the LED backlight. Here are the points that you need to know of.

You can solder or wire glue some thin gauge wire onto these and have them around 5" long. Connect these to the points shown below by solder or wire glue or however you want to do it. Just ignore all that tape and stuff, I was just testing to make sure my LED's actually worked before I had it in place. UPDATE: I have added other pics of my revised mod, with a variety of different +5V sources you can choose from, and in the other pic you can see my actual point that I used. I choose this because it is really wide and much easier to access.

Connect that, tape it up to prevent shorts and stuff, and you will have a beautiful backlit keyboard that will always be on if your laptop is on! Enjoy! UPDATE: I changed the frame from black to silver, by just prying them off each other and switching them. It looks MUCH nicer.

And there you have it! If you have any questions/comments regarding what was done here, just post and I'll be glad to help you out.
    Last edited by Soulsaber; 16th February 2011 at 03:40 PM.
    Cool Stuff: ASUS UL30 Backlit Keyboard Modification

If it's a broken part replace it. If it's a broken arm then brace it. If it's a broken heart then face it.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: UL30 Backlit Keyboard Mod

awesome job : ) how did u do it

NBR Random Reviewer

Very nice job Soulsaber!

I was about to do this mod myself, but you beat me to it!
    Please provide instructions and pictures when you have time to share with others. I know many here on the forum are extremely interested in doing this mod.
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

Representing the Canucks

Wow looks amazing! GJ!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ValkerieFire View Post
    Reminds me of something I heard when I was freshman in college pledging my fraternity. I sat across a bar booth from one of the senior members of the fraternity. He looked me in the eye and said, "pledge, do you know what the best beer in the world is?" I learned toward him eagerly anticipating this knowledge he was about to impart. "No, what is it?" I replied. "Free beer" he whispered back to me.

Notebook Deity

Looks perfect! I would have never known it didn't come with a backlit keyboard.

Notebook Virtuoso

Looks great!

Gotta get me a laptop with a backlit keyboard...
    Current Laptop
    14" Samsung Series 7 NP700Z3C-S02US

Previous Computers
    Sony Vaio FW, Dell Latitude D420, Dell Inspiron 6000, Commodore 64, TRS-80, TI-30 Calculator

Notebook Deity

Is there an option for the backlit keyboard to be turned off?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by ckthepilot View Post
    Is there an option for the backlit keyboard to be turned off?
    There probably is with more skilled wiring... but I don't have enough knowledge to do this, so it's always powered on. I haven't noticed any hit in battery life so far if that's what you are worried about.

I'll post pics and instructions really soon!
    Cool Stuff: ASUS UL30 Backlit Keyboard Modification

If it's a broken part replace it. If it's a broken arm then brace it. If it's a broken heart then face it.

Notebook Evangelist

looks awesome soulsaber. One of the main things turning me away from the UL series
    Custom: E8400@3.8 | 4GB OCZ Platinum | SG 500GB 7200.11 | ATI 4850 | Lancool K-62BW
    Laptop: Asus F9J [dying] | Asus 1000HE | Soon to be M11X EDD: April 8th

Notebook Consultant

PL30JT + Backlit Keyboard Mod =

Soulsaber, those pics look awesome!

Post more pics + instructions asap .

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast