Quantcast Whats the difference = Eee PC 1005HA - 1005HAB

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Whats the difference = Eee PC 1005HA - 1005HAB

Ok... So I was on a quest for looking for a netbook and my choice is down to the Asus Eee PC 1005HA or this other netbook.

I looked at bestbuy and bam... they have it. But it is a 1005HAB. So what is the difference between 1005HA and 1005HAB? Also if you read this one comment in page one of this link ASUS Eee PC (Blk)1005HA Intel Atom 10.1" (10.5hr Batt) w/2GB Extra RAM-$369.99 Shipped @zipzoomfly.com! or $339.99 w/eBillme@! HOT he says that is different then the HAB.

By the way here is the bestbuy link:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218095770955

Oh sorry new question to add... Does this also apply to netbook?
    ASUS loves their customers - Free 1 year Accidental Damage Warranty
    -if it does that this will be the deal breaker between this and the other netbook.
    -if not then... I'd still get it ^^
    Last edited by PinoyBoy; 12th July 2009 at 03:14 AM. Reason: wrong title

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Whats the difference = Eee PC 1005HA - 1005HAB

Quote Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
    Ok... So I was on a quest for looking for a netbook and my choice is down to the Asus Eee PC 1005HA or this other netbook.

I looked at bestbuy and bam... they have it. But it is a 1005HAB. So what is the difference between 1005HA and 1005HAB? Also if you read this one comment in page one of this link ASUS Eee PC (Blk)1005HA Intel Atom 10.1" (10.5hr Batt) w/2GB Extra RAM-$369.99 Shipped @zipzoomfly.com! or $339.99 w/eBillme@! HOT he says that is different then the HAB.

By the way here is the bestbuy link:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218095770955

Oh sorry new question to add... Does this also apply to netbook?
    ASUS loves their customers - Free 1 year Accidental Damage Warranty
    -if it does that this will be the deal breaker between this and the other netbook.
    -if not then... I'd still get it ^^
    comparing Best Buy's to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002DYIXN2

The only difference is battery life. You're paying an extra 50 bucks for twice the battery life, but otherwise, every other feature is the same as far as I can see.

And as far as the accidental protection:

http://adw.asus.com/content/adp/default.aspx

"** ASUS ADW will be offered on ASUS Eee PCs purchased on or after April 1, 2009 at participating stores."

NBR Procrastinator

"** ASUS ADW will be offered on ASUS Eee PCs purchased on or after April 1, 2009 at participating stores."
    I am not sure that the "participating stores" for the 1 year ADW scheme includes BestBuy.
    Notebooks: ASUS F6Ve --- W7Sg --- V6J --- M6BNe
    Read before posting in ASUS: The Info Booth
    Guides: WinXP Install, Optimize Vista, Tips & Tricks, BIOS Update
    Reviews: ASUS F6Ve, ASUS W7S/g, Compaq C710ED, ASUS A8He

Well no, I'm still here..

Quote Originally Posted by E.B.E. View Post
    I am not sure that the "participating stores" for the 1 year ADW scheme includes BestBuy.
    EBE is correct. Asus has never extended the ADP to models purchased through BBuy in the past, and I doubt Eee units are treated any differently.... removing that, the 30day Zero Bright Dot replacement guarantee, and reducing some of the specs are how BBuy gets their pricing below full protection/spec reseller models. For some people, that's a good deal. For others, not so much.

Amazon sells the -VU1X version of the 1005 (as Moo linked above), which compared to the -PU1X steps down to a 48whr 6 cell (63w in -PU1X) 553 FSB (from 667), N270 cpu (from N280), has a matte screen and drops the Bluetooth.

At current $340, that's only $10-15 above what you'd probably pay for the BBuy model with tax included -- and you get the 6 cell battery and full Asus ZBD warranty.
    Last edited by ClearSkies; 12th July 2009 at 08:31 AM.
    Current notebook: 2013 MacBook Air 13" (Haswell) | Core i7 1.7GHz | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD
    My youngest daughter's now - may it serve her needs well...
    MacBook Aluminum (late '08) | 13.3 WXGA | P8600 (2.4Ghz) | 4GB DDR3-1066 RAM |
    Backlit KB | 640GB Samsung M8 HDD

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSkies View Post
    EBE is correct. Asus has never extended the ADP to models purchased through BBuy in the past, and I doubt Eee units are treated any differently.... removing that, the 30day Zero Bright Dot replacement guarantee, and reducing some of the specs are how BBuy gets their pricing below full protection/spec reseller models. For some people, that's a good deal. For others, not so much.

Amazon also sells the -VU1X version of the 1005, which compared to the -PU1X steps down to a 48whr 6 cell (63w in -PU1X) 553 FSB (from 667), N270 cpu (from N280), and drops the Bluetooth.

At current $340, that's only $10-15 above what you'd probably pay for the BBuy model with tax inluded -- and you get the 6 cell battery and full Asus warranty.
    Wouldn't you pay tax on both of them? So wouldn't it still add up to about 40-42 dollars more?

If you got Best Buy's warranty, it comes with a few extra things, like an extra year of accidental protection, and the battery and ac adapter after a year, and easier drop-off at Geek Squad, that would make the comparable Best Buy one about 80-90 dollars more. So between the two, at Best Buy you'd be paying about 80 more dollars, but you'd be getting a less powerful battery that would have a longer life span because you get a replacement after a year, along with an ac adapter which would cost about 80 dollars(could probably find it for 50 online), plus an extra year of accidental protection.

You pay more up front for the Best Buy version, but it would cost you less in the long run. So between the two, I'd say it depends on whether you expect to keep it for a year and a half before upgrading, or you need it for at least three.

Well no, I'm still here..

Quote Originally Posted by MooCwzRck View Post
    Wouldn't you pay tax on both of them? So wouldn't it still add up to about 40-42 dollars more?

If you got Best Buy's warranty, it comes with a few extra things, like an extra year of accidental protection, and the battery and ac adapter after a year, and easier drop-off at Geek Squad, that would make the comparable Best Buy one about 80-90 dollars more. So between the two, at Best Buy you'd be paying about 80 more dollars, but you'd be getting a less powerful battery that would have a longer life span because you get a replacement after a year, along with an ac adapter which would cost about 80 dollars(could probably find it for 50 online), plus an extra year of accidental protection.

You pay more up front for the Best Buy version, but it would cost you less in the long run. So between the two, I'd say it depends on whether you expect to keep it for a year and a half before upgrading, or you need it for at least three.
    OK, let's go over this again

1. Amazon does not charge sales tax anywhere yet, As far as I know. Legislation in NY, CA and WA may eventually change things in those locales, however.

2. Quality of service through GeekSquad's warranty is known around here to be suspect at best.

3. There is no 30day ZBD on BB units.

4. GS' two year warranty does not simply hand out new batteries or adapters after 12 months on consumables just because you bought the warranty. Unless people are walking in at month 12, just saying "my battery is dead," and GS doesn't bother to check... (their Terms for both battery/adapter says "repair or replacement if defective as determined by us, at our sole discretion"). That means, unfortunately, performance below what would be expected via normal wear/tear (which is not covered), and batteries are expected to lose ~15-20% charge per year.

5. Cost analysis remains essentially the same as above -- no appreciable advantage to the BB units in direct comparison unless you don't want to spend the $15.
    Current notebook: 2013 MacBook Air 13" (Haswell) | Core i7 1.7GHz | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD
    My youngest daughter's now - may it serve her needs well...
    MacBook Aluminum (late '08) | 13.3 WXGA | P8600 (2.4Ghz) | 4GB DDR3-1066 RAM |
    Backlit KB | 640GB Samsung M8 HDD

Notebook Consultant

OK, let's go over this again

1. Amazon does not charge sales tax anywhere yet, As far as I know. Legislation in NY, CA and WA may eventually change things in those locales, however.
    Cool, never knew that.

2. Quality of service through GeekSquad's warranty is known around here to be suspect at best.
    I've never heard any issues with it, at least with my location. The guys I've been working with for a while now haven't led me to have any reason to think that their service isn't good quality, and I've even helped them with some of those services. Could just be my location, though.

3. There is no 30day ZBD on BB units.
    Are you sure about that? I know the BB models aren't eligible for the 1 year accidental damage from handing warranty and the extra year of the regular warranty, but I haven't seen anything say that it wasn't eligible for the 30 day ZBD.

4. GS' two year warranty does not simply hand out new batteries or adapters after 12 months on consumables just because you bought the warranty. Unless people are walking in at month 12, just saying "my battery is dead," and GS doesn't bother to check... (their Terms for both battery/adapter says "repair or replacement if defective as determined by us, at our sole discretion"). That means, unfortunately, performance below what would be expected via normal wear/tear (which is not covered), and batteries are expected to lose ~15-20% charge per year.
    Thats not what I've been told by the guys back in Geek Squad themselves. They've been telling me, as an employee, that they don't bother asking for the old battery if its been a year after the original purchase, and that they just get the new battery sent to them, and I've seen this done already a couple times. Again, could just be my location does it differently.

That and I'd say its closer to 40-50% a year, especially with how often you're going to go through power cycles on a netbook.

5. Cost analysis remains essentially the same as above -- no appreciable advantage to the BB units in direct comparison unless you don't want to spend the $15.
    I'd still argue pretty differently, based on service and my experience and future costs. I still think it just depends on how long he plans to keep the netbook before upgrading.

Notebook Enthusiast

Not sure about anywhere else, but Amazon does currently (and has for as long as I can remember) charge sales tax to people in the Seattle, Wa area.

NBR Random Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Sielle View Post
    Not sure about anywhere else, but Amazon does currently (and has for as long as I can remember) charge sales tax to people in the Seattle, Wa area.
    Right, Amazon charges sales tax in KS, KY, ND, NY and WA

Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...512&#merchants
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

Notebook Consultant

Just to be clear, Best Buy has good warranty if i buy from them?
    And 1005HA is better than 1005HAB...

Thanks for your input guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast