Quantcast Asus Utility and Bloatware Guide - Page 29

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Asus Utility and Bloatware Guide

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Asus Utility and Bloatware Guide

I totally agree. My big theory is that Asus engineers are too far away than being aware of how to configure an OS (especially if it's a Windows) properly.

Notebook Evangelist

If stated as a "recommendation," I'd have to dispute some of those. Especially WinFlash, which is known to be a risky way to perform BIOS updates. But as a "choice," of course, personal preference for certain little utilities warrants their use. But honestly, I don't think any of those, except the ATK package and keyboard filter, are particularly useful.

For some other users, we should probably clarify that you're just talking about optional programs. (Though the ATK package isn't all that optional.) For less technically-experienced owners who might be considering a clean install, it's a given that Windows installation should always be followed by the Intel Chipset driver and MEI, as well as the specific audio, video, WLAN, LAN, USB 3.0 and touchpad drivers for your model. Then you can start thinking about what extra utilities & bloatware you want.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    For some other users, we should probably clarify that you're just talking about optional programs. (Though the ATK package isn't all that optional.) For less technically-experienced owners who might be considering a clean install, it's a given that Windows installation should always be followed by the Intel Chipset driver and MEI, as well as the specific audio, video, WLAN, LAN, USB 3.0 and touchpad drivers for your model. Then you can start thinking about what extra utilities & bloatware you want.
    MEI???????

Quote Originally Posted by stevae View Post
    MEI???????
    Intel Management Engine Interface

Probably not a high priority unless you are in an enterprise environment.

Intel Active Management Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just got new ASUS N55S Win7 x64 with some new crap software installed:

1. Asus Vibe 2.0
    2. Asus Vibe Fun Center (looks like part of the Asus Vibe software)
    3. Asus Music Maker
    4. Asus Video Magic
    5. Asus Virtual Camera
    6. Firebird SQL Server - Magix Edition
    7. CyberLink Media Espresso

and of course a lot of different crap which I've seen on the forum including Game Park Console - Oberon Media (I won't uninstall this after reading all of the posts).

Anyone knows is it safe to uninstall those software?
    Thanks for help.

Notebook Evangelist

Yes, you can safely uninstall all of that. It's all completely optional "added-value" freeware.

The only essential piece of Asus software is the ATK package. Everything else is optional, though something like Cineplayer (or whatever BD player they gave you) is "essential" for playing BDs if you don't install your own third-party media player software.

Hello friends, I just bought a N55SF, very happy with it. I deleted some bloatware, like the music maker and asus vibe. But i notice there is a program called Music Now! Deleted it too. It only appeared to be repared or uninstalled. What was it for? It's Ok to delete it? Thanks in advance

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus79 View Post
    Hello friends, I just bought a N55SF, very happy with it. I deleted some bloatware, like the music maker and asus vibe. But i notice there is a program called Music Now! Deleted it too. It only appeared to be repared or uninstalled. What was it for? It's Ok to delete it? Thanks in advance
    I believe it's associated with Vibe, their online store (though I'm not entirely sure how they work together), but in any event, it's their own little music player. Because you know, we don't already have enough of those.....

It's perfectly okay to get rid of it...it's non-essential freeware.

Notebook Consultant

For what it is worth, I've done bloatware removal on my G74SX two ways - one using a clean install and downloading drivers manually, and the other way via the control panel and uninstalling.

Both ways worked just as good in removing the various crap. However, the CP method is far, far, faster and easier as the clean install requires finding the latest drivers for various things, installing them, rebooting, etc. Oh, and you have to do the clean install to begin with.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by squawks View Post
    For what it is worth, I've done bloatware removal on my G74SX two ways - one using a clean install and downloading drivers manually, and the other way via the control panel and uninstalling.

Both ways worked just as good in removing the various crap. However, the CP method is far, far, faster and easier as the clean install requires finding the latest drivers for various things, installing them, rebooting, etc. Oh, and you have to do the clean install to begin with.
    Can you tell how to update Bios & is it worth it
    should we always update Bios, will it help in better performance
    in gaming ?

Thanks
    Brave Heart

Alienware 14 $3,400 (28Jul/22Sep 2013) Dell Alienware
    Asus G53JW $2400 (16 Nov 2010) GenTechPC
    Alienware m17 $4750 (16 Dec 2008) Alienware
    HP Pavilion zd8000 $3500 (16 May 2005) Hewlett-Packard
    Toshiba Satellite 5105 - S901 $3300 (16 Sep 2002) CompUSA