Quantcast G50V... Express Gate...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    DsH

Default G50V... Express Gate...

I have a G50 and I'm very happy with it, except that I have to take the battery everytime I turn it off so Express Gate doesn't suck it while I'm not using it.

Just a question: How do I turn it (Express Gate) off?

I know I can:
    -Take the battery;
    -Uninstall Express Gate.

But it's there another way? I mean, just turn it off when I go to bed or something like that...

I called Asus (well, you know... you give your name, they call later... later=8 hours later or next day... in this case, both... but it's ok, I don't mind) and on the first call they told me to unistall it and on the second the guy told me "there's an option to turn it off on the program"...
    AllI can see is the Exit button (leads to Windows) and Power button (turns the PC off, but not Express Gate), not to mention the other buttons (game, web, etc...)

Please, HELP.

PS: Just a detail (not about the same subject) on Computer it shows 4 HDDs, each with 149Gb. Is it ok? I mean, it should be 2 of 300, right? If you know how I can put it that way (2 of 300Gb), please, let me know. If you don't know (or just don't care or don't want to bother typing :P), no problem, it just bugs me a bit.
    Last edited by DsH; 16th September 2008 at 06:26 AM.

Default Re: G50V... Express Gate...

That stupid expressgate light won't ever go off even if you remove expressgate. At least I've not figured out how to get it to stop. It's the kind of thing they'd need a BIOS option for and there doesn't seem to be one.

In terms of ur hard drives, those are partitions, not physical drives. You can use your recovery cd to blast away those partitions and install to one full drive, or you can set up RAID 0 across both drives (so they show up as one), there are a few options you have. You can also delete a partition or two and extend your other partitions. But that isn't the cleanest way to go about things.

Notebook Consultant

I just suck it up and let it drain at this point. I'm usually plugged in with this laptop wherever I go anyway.
    Past: Dell Inspirion 8600, Asus W7J, Asus G50V-A1
    Current: Alienware m11x | su7300, 4GB DDR3, 500GB 7200rpm
    Dell XPS 15z | Core i5, 6GB, 1080p, 500gb 7200RPM
    ----
    The Metal Shrine

Notebook Evangelist

can you use express gate when using raid 0
    Lenovo T400
    Custom Desktop: Giga-Byte X48 MB, Q6700 CPU, 4 gigs Ram, 2 x 250 gig Raid, 2 x 750 gig Raid, 850 watt ABS power supply

Quote Originally Posted by killeraardvark View Post
    can you use express gate when using raid 0
    Doesn't seem to work for me. I tried installing ExpressGate just now and shut down. When I hit the expressgate button it throws an error message and reboots.

Does anyone even find it useful at all? Why does anyone really need to listen to music on their laptop in 5 seconds or to use Skype or whatever? It would be a lot better if it gave direct access to files on the hard drive, like word documents, but I don't think that's possible.

Notebook Evangelist

Great point Jim, I would like to access doc and mp3 and stuff from the hd. As for the point of it is for others to use your laptop without getting into the system and to be able to use it using minimal power so that you can use it longer. It is a great idea and feature but at the same time it needs time to mature.
    Lenovo T400
    Custom Desktop: Giga-Byte X48 MB, Q6700 CPU, 4 gigs Ram, 2 x 250 gig Raid, 2 x 750 gig Raid, 850 watt ABS power supply

Notebook Consultant

I'd rather have a more mature linux distro built into hardware. Like if i could boot suse or ubuntu and have it totally seperate from my hdds as an "insant on" that would be more useful. As of right now I've only used it maybe twice .
    Past: Dell Inspirion 8600, Asus W7J, Asus G50V-A1
    Current: Alienware m11x | su7300, 4GB DDR3, 500GB 7200rpm
    Dell XPS 15z | Core i5, 6GB, 1080p, 500gb 7200RPM
    ----
    The Metal Shrine

Master Viking

There is a term called RTFM :P

You can not turn off the light, its part of the hardware design, it says so in the manual.

You can not use Express Gate with Raid 0, it says so in the manual.

I highly doubt that little led is draining much battery power, if something is draining power its not the light. Test it yourself find a low voltage led and hook it to a little AA battery and see how long it lasts.

I personally dont use it (I dont even have a choice I have Raid 0) but there is nothing really to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
    There is a term called RTFM :P

You can not turn off the light, its part of the hardware design, it says so in the manual.

You can not use Express Gate with Raid 0, it says so in the manual.

I highly doubt that little led is draining much battery power, if something is draining power its not the light. Test it yourself find a low voltage led and hook it to a little AA battery and see how long it lasts.

I personally dont use it (I dont even have a choice I have Raid 0) but there is nothing really to complain about.
    In the manual, it says: "It is normal to see a dim light on this key even when the Notebook PC is powered off" and don't say anything about turn it off.

I had my G50v turned off with the battery on it for two days. Now I only have 80%.

btw, hey guys

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast