Quantcast Are ASUS laptops reliable? - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Re: Are ASUS laptops reliable?

I would get a Sony Vaio, but it's really hard to find one with the same specs as this computer for the same price. My budget is $1000, and the good DELL Laptops cost a lot more than that.

By the way, my parents are buying it for me because of my graduation and I'm going to use it in college. However, if anything goes wrong I don't want to hear my parents say "I told you so" for not doing enough research.

NBR Random Reviewer

As said previously, avoid the F3 if you can. Any other Asus should hold up well.
    If Dells are out of your budget, you can try looking for one at the Dell outlet store.
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

Notebook Guru

Are there any reliability issues with the M50sv-A1? I've read as many reviews as I can and only 1 has said anything about flaws in design (a creaky keyboard and slightly below average screen brightness).

I'm trying to decide between that and the Dell XPS M1530, becuase with the deal I'm getting, they will be priced almost the exact same with almost identical specs. haha, too tough to choose!

NBR Random Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by j-spec View Post
    Are there any reliability issues with the M50sv-A1? I've read as many reviews as I can and only 1 has said anything about flaws in design (a creaky keyboard and slightly below average screen brightness).

I'm trying to decide between that and the Dell XPS M1530, becuase with the deal I'm getting, they will be priced almost the exact same with almost identical specs. haha, too tough to choose!
    I never had experienced a creaking keyboard, but people have mentioned keyboard lag in Vista. I've already addressed the issue in my sig, and it seems like help most people. As for the screen, the brightness is not an issue. It's actually very bright, but some people have experienced graininess and light leakage from the bottom. I don't find the screen on my M50Sv to have graininess issues, but there is the slight light leakage. It's not at all noticeable when doing daily tasks, and can only be seen when you view a pure black background.
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mcfaddenator View Post
    Very reliable, however, I found them a little overpriced, even with the free 2-year accident warranty (which costs $90 at other companies). I can get the same features for a little less at other places like Dell. All for all, a great maker.
    Its dell that costs alot. I customized a dell to be exactly like the m50sv: The m50sv from newegg costs $1359.99, and the Dell costs $1989.99... Dell is the mac of the pc world. They just sell diamond paper weights.
    Last edited by Kdawgca; 9th July 2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Language

Notebook Evangelist

I used to have a W2JC and it had 3 mainboards in 6 months! Now have a G2S
    Asus G2S | T7500 | 3GB | 320GB | 8600M GT | 7 64Bit

Notebook Guru

General consensus seems to be that they are reliable. Unfortunately for me, my Z70VA seems to be an exception... the infamous "red ghosting," dead motherboard after a little over two years, Bluetooth stopped working, and I think the screen may be on its way out (occasionally, the refresh rate seems off).

Notebook Deity

Z63A that I've had for about two and a half years has also been quite reliable. Never had a problem except for one of the keys on the keyboard fell off. I brought it as a walk-in to the Canadian office long ago and they replaced the keyboard on the spot.

V1J that I've had for about a year and a half has been quite reliable, except for a few quirks:
    - batteries wear issue -> seems "fixed" when I got my new main battery.
    - crappy ATI drivers which BSoD once in a blue moon on hiberation (since ATI has always made good hardware with crappy drivers),
    - the docking station undocks if you bump the table (the docking station doesn't grip onto the unit like Dells do, this is the only ASUS series which has a sit-on docking station As far as I know).
    Current laptops: Dell Latitude E6420: 1600x900, 2720QM, 4200NVS, 8GB DDR3, 500GB Samsung HM500JJ/D, BT, DVDR, modem, 9-cell 87Whr battery, E-Port Plus | ASUS V1JP-AK006P (15.4" 1680x1050, C2D T7200, 4GB Kingston DDR2-667 (2844MB detectable), 500GB Seagate 7200rpm, BT, DVDR) modular battery, docking station | ASUS UL20FT-A1 (12.1" 1366x768, i3-330UM, 4GB RAM Mushkin DDR3-1333, 60GB OCZ Vertex2E)
    Older laptop: ASUS Z63A 14" 1280x800, P-M 740, 1GB Kingston DDR2-533, 80GB Seagate ATA/100, DVDR

Notebook Guru

Should I buy like an additional 2 years of ADH warranty from Newegg then? Just in case? If I did it'd be in my budget.

I have had a V1sB1 since November. I bought it in hopes it would do well with intense 3d and engineering software and withstand being lugged back and forth for at least 3 yrs by bicycle. I've dropped it twice, once from 4ft and have used it in Florida's sunny 91 degree weather with no cooling pad-dumb i know. I've had no problems with it (*knock on wood*) and have yet to even use all of its features/realize the features. My only complaints are it's a little on the heavy side (but I knew that when I bought it), there are only 3 usb ports (though it makes up for that with an abundance of other types of ports, including HDMI) and the fan sounds like a jumbo jet at times. Originally I wanted the F8sv but Asus were punks and kept pushing the release date back so I bought this instead. On researching it (in this very forum and other places) I read Asus in general has battery issues but I've never had a problem (*knock on wood*). Mine recharges to 98% or higher every time (*knock on wood*). My advice to you is to research it as much as possible and take solace in the accidental damage policy, which I've yet to use miraculously (*knock on wood*). Peace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast