Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Why should I buy an Asus?

I have narrowed my laptop choices down to:

Asus Z63A
    Toshiba M50
    HP dv1000
    Gateway M250

Let me start off by saying that I do not need a 'desktop replacement' as I have a very nice desktop for demanding work. I just need a mobile notebook to do Outlook, Firefox, Quickbooks, Photoshop, Dreamweaver...in that order of importance and use. Basically any lowend computer with integraded graphics will do. I do require a 14.1" widescreen and fairly thin...id like to stay as close to 1" as possible. All 4 of these machines seem to fit my needs. I'd also really like to have an SD reader if possible...I think all 4 have this.

I was thinking of going to barebones route with the Asus and just build it to my likings, which can be done pretty cheap, around $1100 or so. All 4 machines are virtually the same price, give or take $100 and some options. The HP is probably the best all around machine as far as options as price are concerned. I hear more positive things about Asus and Toshiba from the geek crowd and computer gurus...im suspecting because they cater more to the non "consumer" crowd and more to the hardcore computer guys.

Anyways, what would you say is better about Asus, overall, compared to these other choices?

thanks for your time

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Why should I buy an Asus?

Well, I configured the HP on their site with the same specs as the Asus I bought (see sig below). It came out to be $150 cheaper (after all the rebates) than what I paid (I paid a touch over $1400). So yes, it was cheaper, about a 10% diff.

The Asus also comes with a bag and wireless/optical mouse. Honestly, I think that is at least a $75 value (being conservative).

Then, you come to build quality. The Asus has a carbon fiber body - compared to plastic. Also, I donít think anybody will really question the Asus build quality. Check out resellerrating.com, see what people have to say about companies like Dell and HP. Then check out what they have to say about ISTNC or ProPortable (2 major Asus dealers). It is night and day.

Iím not saying you would go wrong with the others, but with Asus you could get something so very, very right.
    Last edited by GregM; 22nd July 2005 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Me not Englishing right
    <CENTER>Asus Z63A<CENTER>
    <CENTER>Intel Pentium-M 750 - 1 GB PC4200 - Seagate 5400.2 60 GB - DVD/CDRW - Intel Pro/Wireless 2200<CENTER>

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by GregM
    Well, I configured the HP on their site with the same specs as the Asus I bought (see sig below). It came out to be $150 cheaper (after all the rebates) than what I paid (I paid a touch over $1400). So yes, it was cheaper, about a 10% diff.

The Asus also comes with a bag and wireless/optical mouse. Honestly, I think that is at least a $75 value (being conservative).

Then, you come to build quality. The Asus has a carbon fiber body - compared to plastic. Also, I donít think anybody will really question the Asus build quality. Check out resellerrating.com, see what people have to say about companies like Dell and HP. Then check out what they have to say about ISTNC or ProPortable (2 major Asus dealers). It is night and day.

Iím not saying you would go wrong with the others, but with Asus you could get something so very, very right.

Thanks, good info. I didnt realize the case was made of carbon fiber on this model...do you have a link?

If it makea a difference, i priced them all OTD (out the door). Also, where im getting it from, agear, they dont give the same nice things as you got..mouse, etc.

NM= New mexico (out of state, family) Ca=Cali

Gateway - $1028 NM / $1051 CA
    HP - $1063 NM / $1200 CA
    Asus - $1263 NM / $1382 Cali (have to purchase cash, or add $100 for CC)
    Toshiba - $1312 NM / $1350 CA

These all have 256mb ram, except the Gateway with 512. I find it cheaper to get 512 from newegg and add it to the existing 256.

Notebook Consultant

After checking, I dont think the Z63A offers a Carbon case. The W3V does, however.

That would have been a nice feature though.

Notebook Evangelist

Wow, I was sure it was carbon fiber. It is the same as the W3V, just a different color (same chassis as the W3A). However, I have never seen it in writing (from Asus) one way or the other. Now you have me curious...

Justin (or anybody) - can you confirm this? (The CF issue)

Also, every place selling the Z63A should be including the mouse and bag. Asus sends these to the dealers with the notebooks for free. You should ask Agear to make sure. ISTNC, ProPortable, and Geared2Play all do.
    <CENTER>Intel Pentium-M 750 - 1 GB PC4200 - Seagate 5400.2 60 GB - DVD/CDRW - Intel Pro/Wireless 2200<CENTER>

Notebook Consultant

I bought a W3v from PROportable and I recieved a mouse and bag. I'm not sure about the Z63a? Is that just a different model of the W3v it looks exactly the same.
    Asus W3v
    1.8Ghz Pentium M
    512 MB Memory
    60GB Hitachi 5400RPM
    14" WXGA
    ATI Mobility Radeon x600
    Windows XP Pro

Notebook Evangelist

The Z63A is the barebone of the W3A (integrated instead of dedicated GPU). They are identical (case), minus the color and the Al lid (the W3A/Z63A does not have it). I am 90% sure both are a carbon fiber / plastic alloy.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by GregM
    Wow, I was sure it was carbon fiber. It is the same as the W3V, just a different color (same chassis as the W3A). However, I have never seen it in writing (from Asus) one way or the other. Now you have me curious...
    Justin (or anybody) - can you confirm this? (The CF issue)
    This is from another thread regarding Asus Construction. Special thanks to Justin of ProPortable...
    Quote Originally Posted by PROPortable
    As far as the current lineup goes..... they are call carbon fiber encased plastic... with the exceptions of below.
    All AMD models, A series, Z71 series..... they're plastic

The following are all carbon fiber but have aluminum touches:
    The W1 / W2 - lid and palmrest are brushed aluminum
    The W3 - the lid is brushed aluminum
    The V6 - the palm rest is brushed aluminum

Notebook Evangelist

No, because I know the W5A and Z70A are CF / plastic.
    Last edited by GregM; 22nd July 2005 at 11:57 PM.

Notebook Retailer

Wow this is like my dream thread.... so many questions and only need one post to answer them.

I think all of these have been answered over and over again and honestly, no one should have to talk anyone *into* buying an Asus. The forum is here as a point of research and frankly the - "convince me to buy Asus" threads are really over done. If you've made it this far you should have a fairly good idea why you should get them.
    Click below to read my Asus news sticky and to find out more about the NBR Member Discount Program (updated 05/10)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show....php?p=1961738

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast