Quantcast My screen is flickering on my Asus notebook

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default [solved] My screen is flickering on my Asus notebook

Hello everybody,

I'm writing on this forum because I want to know if I'm the only one in this case or not. When I bought my Asus A6Ja notebook in sept. 2006, it was working quite well, even better than my desktop computer in fact. But few months after, somewhere around february-march 2007, the screen began to flicker very strongly. Here's a video of what happened :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9kh5GEHkzc

At start, it was just flickering like this in the lower-left corner of the screen. The problem is that I ABSOLUTELY need my notebook at school (without it, I just can stop going to school, I'm studying in IT). So around the summer holidays, I returned it to Asus. They decided to replace the whole screen, it cost them around 500. They bring it back to me on september, and after just 2 power up, the SAME problem started to appear. The same in very worse, the whole screen's now flickering and I'm back to school now...

What I mean by "flickering" ?
    Several pixel-lines of the screen are switching from on to off, and/or moving from left to right, and/or changing colors. They do not flicker at the same speed nor at the same intensity, so the whole thing looks a bit like if the display was crypted.

Here's what I learnt :
    • When I move the lid from closed-state to opened-state, the problem disappears but come back a few seconds or minutes later.
    • It happens when there's bright colors displayed.. if I switch my Windows skin to a black one, the problem disappears.
    • Heat could be in relation since the laptop is always overheated at 60 or 65C (fans are working). I tried to put it outside, when the temperature was like 5C, and the problem disappeared, but came back a few minutes later.
    • The screen always start to flicker from the left side, then it grow form left to right until the whole screen seems crypted
    • Switching the screen on and off does nothing, brightening up and down does nothing, rebooting doe nothing too...
    • I tried using the Omega drivers for my graphics card, but this time, display was totally frozen and the colors seemed to be additive (i mean that, the longer the screen was frozen, the brighter the screen was becoming)
    • If let things becoming worse without moving the lid at all, the flickering grows, and grows, and grows, until display becomes stable again but is totally shifted. Display starts at 2 cm from the left of the screen and 1 cm from the top.

So, what should I do ? What is the problem ? Which component is failing ? What sould I do with Asus since they seem to keep on changing screens althought it doesn't seem to be the cause.

I'll try to make a more recent video or the problem monday.
    Last edited by NykO18; 23rd January 2008 at 07:39 AM.

Notebook Geek

Default Re: My screen is flickering on my Asus notebook

well, the failing component seems to be the graphics card try to load windows in safe mode using F8 key before windows starts, if the problem continues it's serious, if it doesn't try to underclock your graphics card if its easy

- Computing Power and Design Excellence -

Notebook Deity

Hook your laptop to an external monitor, see if the same issue happens with the external monitor. If it does, it might be the video card.

Also, if Asus has already replaced a screen and the problem keeps happening...ask them if they can try to replace the video card or the motherboard altogether.
    Dell Inspiron 9300

Notebook Enthusiast

my screen did something similar when i installed the newest beta drivers. once i switched back to 158.45 with modified INF from laptopvideo2go.com the problem has yet to show up again. not sure what video card you have, but try using an older driver, or just try several of them. hope this helps.

E6700
    8600M GT 512MB
    Mushkin 2GB (2x1GB)
    60GB 7,200RPM
    1337 KFC BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoofreak View Post
    Hook your laptop to an external monitor, see if the same issue happens with the external monitor. If it does, it might be the video card.
    Yep, that's what I did last year when there were monitors in the classroom, and the problem doesn't appear in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by IShb3w
    not sure what video card you have, but try using an older driver, or just try several of them. hope this helps.
    I've got a Radeon Mobility X1600 with 256 MB of memory.
    The drivers I'm using are already nearly 2 years old (Asus don't seem to find it could be a good idea to release more recent ones).

Notebook Deity

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/mobility-xp.html

Here is the link to newer ones. Try these and see if that helps?
    Dell Inspiron 9300

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoofreak View Post
    http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/mobility-xp.html
    Here is the link to newer ones. Try these and see if that helps?
    No, that's the first thing I tried, but official ATI drivers can't detect my graphics card at all. Neither the desktop or mobility ones. That's why I tried Omega drivers, but it was just worse. It looks like only Asus-made drivers can be installed on this computer.

Here's a video of what's happening now :
    http://www.dailymotion.com/NykO18/video/5491365

Notebook Deity

That is very NOT normal.

The issue is very clearly to do with the LCD itself, not the GPU. It seems like there's some sort of signal encoding problem somewhere after it leaves the GPU, since it works fine on the normal video output.

Did they give you an invoice when you got the unit repaired? What did they change? Maybe they changed the motherboard when there's something wrong with the screen itself? Or maybe there's a loose harness so that it worked when they looked at it but didn't work as soon as you got it back?

Either way, it looks like you'll have to send it back to them.
    Current laptops: Dell Latitude E6420: 1600x900, 2720QM, 4200NVS, 8GB DDR3, 500GB Samsung HM500JJ/D, BT, DVDR, modem, 9-cell 87Whr battery, E-Port Plus | ASUS V1JP-AK006P (15.4" 1680x1050, C2D T7200, 4GB Kingston DDR2-667 (2844MB detectable), 500GB Seagate 7200rpm, BT, DVDR) modular battery, docking station | ASUS UL20FT-A1 (12.1" 1366x768, i3-330UM, 4GB RAM Mushkin DDR3-1333, 60GB OCZ Vertex2E)
    Older laptop: ASUS Z63A 14" 1280x800, P-M 740, 1GB Kingston DDR2-533, 80GB Seagate ATA/100, DVDR

Notebook Deity

Alex has a point. Maybe its the inverter for your laptop thats connecting your lcd to the motherboard.
    Dell Inspiron 9300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast