Quantcast Why are Asus laptops not sold at futureshop and best buy in canada?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Why are Asus laptops not sold at futureshop and best buy in canada?

Asus is a decently well known brand out there and it provides solid and dependable laptops with many varieties ranging from ultraportable to powerful gaming laptops. Overall, a good company.

If so, why aren't Asus laptops sold at large electronic stores such as future shop and best buy?

Well no, I'm still here..

Default Re: Why are Asus laptops not sold at futureshop and best buy in canada?

Asus has only recently started to offer a diluted G1 at BestBuy in the US. They have always been a direct sales through resellers rather than big box retailers - this approach allows them to set and hold unit pricing as well as components to whatever their standard is, rather than the retailers' request (hence the lower-powered G1@BB). Also keeps them out of having to deal with customer returns / chargebacks for retail purchasing on a large scale.

Second, the notebook part of their business in North America is very small (some might even say insignificant) compared to their notebook presence globally or their overall business.

Finally, the US notebook market is dominated by Dell/HP/Acer/Toshiba for one main reason - the US populace values price above all else (the Wal-Mart effect) as a general rule over quality, and they make their profits off sheer volume on razor-thin margins. Asus is more about quality in their products, at reasonable pricing, and is essentially a niche brand among those who know. That leaves little incentive for a company making quality goods that sell incredibly well overseas to attempt broad entry into the NA marketplace.
    Last edited by ClearSkies; 19th July 2007 at 10:49 AM.
    Current notebook: 2013 MacBook Air 13" (Haswell) | Core i7 1.7GHz | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD
    My youngest daughter's now - may it serve her needs well...
    MacBook Aluminum (late '08) | 13.3 WXGA | P8600 (2.4Ghz) | 4GB DDR3-1066 RAM |
    Backlit KB | 640GB Samsung M8 HDD

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Number and price.

To sell in a large retailer, you need numbers, and ASUS doesn't produce that many notebooks at a time. If anything shipments from Taiwan for notebooks come in at 100-200 per model, which is very small.

Price, ask mentioned, is another factor. Consumers are all about money, the lower the better. I don't think anyone's gonna line up at BB/FS if a G1s goes for sale for $1299, but if a CD Acer with 256 ram is on sale for $499, who cares, I'm lining up cause everyone else is!
    Alienware M11x - SU7300 / GT335m / 8gb DDR3 / 60gb Vertex II

Notebook Deity

An Acer for $499? Where? I got me one of those!
    Macbook Pro (Late 2011, 13-inch Aluminum) - 2.4ghz i5, 8gb, 240gb OCZ Agility 3 (SSD), Mountain Lion
    Macbook (Late 2008, 13-inch Aluminum) - 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb, 320gb HD, Mountain Lion
    Macbook (Late 2007, 13-inch White) - 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb, 320gb HD, Lion

drum while you work

Quote Originally Posted by coriolis View Post
    Number and price.

To sell in a large retailer, you need numbers, and ASUS doesn't produce that many notebooks at a time. If anything shipments from Taiwan for notebooks come in at 100-200 per model, which is very small.

Price, ask mentioned, is another factor. Consumers are all about money, the lower the better. I don't think anyone's gonna line up at BB/FS if a G1s goes for sale for $1299, but if a CD Acer with 256 ram is on sale for $499, who cares, I'm lining up cause everyone else is!
    like many products, it's also hard to gauge a computer working solely on price. A $2000 Asus may well be as good or better than a $3000 Sony, but uninformed customers who don't look at the specifications or don't know what they mean and how they'll affect real-life usage aren't going to know that. Also, different brands work better in different price ranges. The average price spent on a notebook computer in the United States is $1000, which means that virtually everything Asus sells won't even be in consideration for about half US computer shoppers.
    My Devices:
    Lenovo Thinkpad W530
    Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Pretty much, and it's a factor here as well. In ads and flyers, most are under the $1400 Canadian mark, no matter what size.

Plus, a well educated consumer knows better then to buy in store, saves money from taxes if you buy online. Use models in store as a starting point
    Alienware M11x - SU7300 / GT335m / 8gb DDR3 / 60gb Vertex II

Notebook Evangelist

thanks for clearing that up guys

Notebook Evangelist

Two things i can think of...

One, is production
    theres approx 1100 BB stores i north america and less than 180 of those are in Canada (FutureShop and BB)
    Asus is having a hard enough time stocking all of 900+ BB US's stores alone with just a select few notebooks. And with a corp change in the horizon theres a bit of a strangle hold on full fledge production of all models.. which brings me to the second point...

Second, Asus just announced a worldwide corporate name change.
    So with that said it doenst make any sense to roll out a massive ad campaign and increase stock production to try make the Asus name more visible only to have it dissapear to be replace by some Moronictron name later.

Notebook Enthusiast

actually there are very few bb that carry asua it is almost exclusively online and in a few stores targeted to power users as well as the extremly large stores that carry everything. also not many associates know how to sell asus because they are not familiar with it i know from experience that many of them automatically turn to sony for the high end because it looks expensive and they think its high-end. that and consumers all think that hp dell and sony are the gods of quality for no apparent reason