Quantcast Notebook maintenance - Cleaning the fan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Nobel Laureate

Default ASUS Notebook maintenance - Cleaning the fan

This is a thread made to be attached to the sticky. Feel free to comment however.

Notebooks are tools of the trade, they are meant to be used. As mobile as they are, they also suffer from wear and tear, whether it be evident in such cases as keyboard and wrist rest wear, or tear from accidents. However, one of the most common cases of wear and tear is the cooling system in notebooks.

Due to the size constraints, notebook fans are usually small and come in small amounts, usually one or two depending on the size of the notebook. It may not sound like much, but the fan is a vital part of a notebook, and can make a difference whether or not the notebook will function well and at times, the lifespan of the notebook.

Often overlooked, there has been many questions and inquiries where the fan is the culprit:

1) Why is my notebook so hot?
    2) My fans are too loud all of a sudden!
    3) Overheating notebook?

Such cases is from these situations is because the fan is being clogged, as well as the air vents. The vents of a notebook let air ventilate the notebook, but where there is air, there is dust, particles, insects, and other various minuscule objects that may be sucked into the vents.

This results in the fan being clogged and can not move hot air in the notebook effectively. As mentioned above, some of the situations there are only some symptoms of what can happen if a notebook is not cleaned enough, or thoroughly.

My ASUS V6va has been maintained quite well, I own a few cans of compressed air and bi-weekly I spray some air into the vents and I could see dust and particles blow out. I would of thought this would be effective enough to clean my notebook and have it purring. It has been almost 19 months since I have bought the notebook and used it heavily wherever I go, be it at school, a coffee shop, the library or a friends house.

This is a simple guide, a generic guide as most notebooks are not the same in where the insides are. If you find yourself unsure what to do, feel free to ask or contact your dealer so you do not harm your notebook.

Bottom of notebook, there are a handful of screws to open up the back plate. The screws marked 'K' are for the keyboard removal.

As of late, I found my notebook running excessively hot, and the fans would be on very often at max when I play games, or even when I'm watching movies. At idle, the CPU would be at 58-63, and under stress, it ht up to 80 degrees, with NHC warning me about the temperatures. At first, I did my regular routine, take off the back plate, the keyboard and clean the vents with a can of compressed air.

Opening up the back plate, the fan is attached by 3 screws. Make sure there are no 'WARRANTEE VOID' stickers. IN my case, there was none except for the one on the CPU heatsink.

However, being the curious person I am, I decided to take out the fan and see whats up. Well, I found what was the problem.

The fan itself was caked in dust, which was pretty bad considering the maintenance I did with the notebook. Think of what would be the case if a person did not do maintenance with the insides!

Looking further in, I saw the main source of the problem, and it wasn't pretty!

Caked with more dust, hair, and whatnot, the other side of the main vent was pretty clogged. Think of what would be the case if a person did not do maintenance with the fans! Yikes!

I used the can of compressed air to blow majority of the dust and particles away(outside of course), but there were still some that wouldn't come off. To further clean the insides and the fan, I used a handful of Q-Tips, some of them damp, to clean the insides. After a pretty nasty cleaning session, I put everything back together and let it dry for a bit.

What I found inside were a mix of dust, small hairs, coffee grinds(I worked at a coffee shop for a year as a Barista) and lots of unknown bits I don't think I would want to identify.

After a few hours, I booted up the notebook, let it run for a bit and now it's running much much better. The surfing temperatures fell down into the low 50's, gaming would peak at a bit over 70.

Maintenance may seem like a hassle, but to improve notebook temperatures and a healthy lifespan, it's well needed. Like a vehicle, regular changes are necessary, and this notebook is humming away happily.
    Last edited by coriolis; 15th May 2008 at 08:26 AM.
    Alienware M11x - SU7300 / GT335m / 8gb DDR3 / 60gb Vertex II

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Notebook maintenance - Cleaning the fan

Awesome post.

I'll be getting cans of compressed air on my way home today!
    Play: Asus G50VT-X5
    Work: Thinkpad X60s
    Retired: Dell Dimension 8200, Thinkpad T40, Thinkpad T60, HP dv9000t, Asus G1S-A1

Notebook Enthusiast

hey just cleaned it like mentioned in the post before i used to only clean my fan but once i took it out completely and looked around where it sat saw alot of dust clumped together around the vents.. cleaned the vents with toothpicks to take out all the dust it even reduced the temps by like 5-10 degrees and laptops much quieter now...

Great post

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Glad to hear it helps. And yea, as simple as it sounds, it can really benefit in the end.

Updated thread with larger pictures.

ZzzZzz

Thanks Cori
    I used this guide to clean my W3J and it matches.
    Thinkpad T400
    Older laptop : ASUS W3J

Notebook Consultant

Does anybody know if the fan set up will be similar too my ASUS F3 series because after 7 months of use at home and college i may have a similar issue since i have noticed high temperatures, at first i thought i may be due to the higher room temperatures so i bought a Notebook Cooler, but now i will be doing this.

Would it matter what i used to clean the insides of it with? As in could i use cotton buds to clean it? Also where could i get cans of compressed air from?
    Dell XPS M1530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4GHz / 3mb / 800MHz
    4096mb 667MHz RAM (Samsung, CAS 5)
    Samsung SATA 320GB 5400rpm
    GeForce 8600M GT 256mb DDR3
    1440x900 WXGA+ 'AUO'
    Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)

Notebook Consultant

Quick tip: Use a clean toothbrush to get some of the hard-to-reach areas. And if you need to use a liquid to clean anything, use rubbing alcohol (BUT NOT ON THE SCREEN!!!!). It will evaporate quickly. Use a water-moistened cloth to clean the screen. No chemicals, no windex (seen it done )
    Close the world. .txen eht nepO

--Asus C90s-- --E6420 2.13 GHz-- --3GB DDR-2 667-- --9600M GT 512 DDR3-- --Bluray Multi-Optical drive--
    --Asus 1201N-- --Atom 330 2.1Ghz-- --4GB DDR-2 333-- --Nvidia ION-- --WD Black 320GB 7200--

Notebook Deity

Great info, Coriolis. Silentheero makes a good point too.

I usually use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water when cleaning small areas with q-tips. Breaks down some of the gunkier gunk and drys quickly.
    Brent

Asus A8JP
    Asus UL30VT-X1
    Asus Eee S101H
    Compaq V2000

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith of Vern View Post
    Does anybody know if the fan set up will be similar too my ASUS F3 series because after 7 months of use at home and college i may have a similar issue since i have noticed high temperatures, at first i thought i may be due to the higher room temperatures so i bought a Notebook Cooler, but now i will be doing this.

Would it matter what i used to clean the insides of it with? As in could i use cotton buds to clean it? Also where could i get cans of compressed air from?
    yeh its basically the same i got my f3ja about 7 months ago as well and started getting fustrated with the high temps so gave it a good clean. the main area to concentrate on is the 3rd picture after you unscrew the fan.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

I used a QTip, but I made sure to loosen up the cotton at the end. I also used a tiny bit of water to help clean off the harder particles.

Compressed air can be found at any electronics stores, even Staples or Best Buy carries it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast