Quantcast HDMI Port... what are the uses?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Guru

Default HDMI Port... what are the uses?

I'm aware that this is a complete newbie question, but I've looked around and can't find a ton of definitive information on the HDMI port's capabilities. I mean, I know what HDMI is (that's what all the information you can google/wiki tells you... specifications, etc) but I don't know exactly what you can DO with it.

So... what do you do with a high def port? Connect a high def monitor? How does this link together with the HD rendering capabilities of the 8 series GPUs?

I don't need a technical brief, I'm simply looking for general uses to put the port to.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: HDMI Port... what are the uses?

Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I'm aware that this is a complete newbie question, but I've looked around and can't find a ton of definitive information on the HDMI port's capabilities. I mean, I know what HDMI is (that's what all the information you can google/wiki tells you... specifications, etc) but I don't know exactly what you can DO with it.

So... what do you do with a high def port? Connect a high def monitor? How does this link together with the HD rendering capabilities of the 8 series GPUs?

I don't need a technical brief, I'm simply looking for general uses to put the port to.
    You can play all those high def bit torrents of movie trailers on your High Def TV through the HDMI port!

Petrov.

Notebook Deity

If you have a TV, monitor, or stereo receiver that accepts HDMI input, you can use HDMI to send video+soung signals to it.

Or you can use an HDMI -> DVI adapter and connect to LCDs.

Its just a connector for video and sound.
    Lenovo ThinkPad Helix - Core i7-3667U 2.0 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3, 256 GB SSD, WWAN, Wacom
    ASUS UL30VT - C2D SU7300 1.73 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3, 120 GB OCZ Solid 3
    ASUS Z33Ae - P-M 760 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 GB DDR2, 80GB 7K100 7200RPM, 9-cell, Prime95 Stable < P-M ULV Voltages

Notebook Virtuoso

With an adapter you can convert it to DVI-D so you can connect external LCDs (not just HD-TV but any LCD) with a DVI port. The quality is better then analog especially at high resolutions.

Notebook Guru

I see. Thanks for the help. So basically it boils down to: you can send any high def media on your laptop through the connection to any high def playing device you own, eh?

That's kind of neat... kind of! I don't own a high def TV yet so it'll most likely never get used... but whatever.

Notebook Deity

It's not limited to high-def media... It's generic display output like DVI is. You can use HDMI to connect a second display device (an HDTV or an LCD) and use it to display your Windows desktop, programs, movies in full-screen, etc. It lets you connect a second monitor.

HDMI is exactly the same as DVI electrically.
    Lenovo ThinkPad Helix - Core i7-3667U 2.0 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3, 256 GB SSD, WWAN, Wacom
    ASUS UL30VT - C2D SU7300 1.73 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3, 120 GB OCZ Solid 3
    ASUS Z33Ae - P-M 760 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 GB DDR2, 80GB 7K100 7200RPM, 9-cell, Prime95 Stable < P-M ULV Voltages

Notebook Consultant

Except HDMI includes audio.

Notebook Consultant

You can hook up a laptop to a HDTV and use it as a monitor, but TV's typically have an overscan of 3-10%, so you'll lose quite a bit of the outside edges of the picture.

If you have a video card that can compensate for the overscan or allows custom resolutions, the entire desktop can be fit.

Notebook Consultant

It's easy to wiki before you post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is an all-digital audio/video interface capable of transmitting uncompressed streams. HDMI is compatible with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) Digital Rights Management technology. HDMI provides an interface between any compatible digital audio/video source, such as a set-top box, a DVD player, a PC, a video game console, or an AV receiver and a compatible digital audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV) ...