Quantcast The ASUS Eco-Bamboo Laptop Thread!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBR Reviewer

Default The ASUS Eco-Bamboo Laptop Thread!

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39...9288082,00.htm

If you ask me, it's basically a MacBook with special "covers" and a stylus compatible touchpad. I really would like to see this laptop in person, especially the keyboard. Looks very interesting. Now if only it had a C2D T7200, 7200 RPM 100 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM, and a 1680x1050" 15.4" Widescreen....

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: The ASUS Eco-Bamboo Laptop Thread!

I don't get it, how is cutting down a tree to dress a laptop eco friendly? The bamboo seems to be just for looks since the laptop looks fine naked. It's like painting a car green and claiming it now gets better gas mileage. I'd be more impressed if they took steps in the production process to reduce waste and energy consumption.

Notebook Guru

Doesn't bamboo grow back when cut, like grass?

Notebook Evangelist

I don't know. Now that I think about it, is it even a tree?

Notebook Consultant

Notebook Enthusiast

I guess it is an Eco Friendly laptop because a lot of its parts are readily recyclable. Unlike plastic and carbon fiber where you need to process them first and may leave unwanted residue..
    Last edited by engr19698; 11th March 2007 at 10:05 AM.
    My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." -- Forrest Gump

ASUS V1JP (XP PRO OS) T7200/X1700/15.4" WXGA+/2GB DDR2 667 - SG ITSHOW

Stock Drivers: PCMark05 - 4544 / 3DMark06 - 2159

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Bamboo can grow up to 6 meters PER day, and is a very environment friendly type of material. And yes, it is grass!

The Eco-book has pretty sweet features, enlarged touchpad that supports using a stylus, under the touchpad are LEDs which prevent waste instead of etching out certain parts. The whole 'modular' design seems pretty sweet.
    Alienware M11x - SU7300 / GT335m / 8gb DDR3 / 60gb Vertex II

Asus MVP + NBR Reviewer

This notebook is very interesting, thanks to Coriolis pointing out there was more images and features it has.

Features:
    • Bamboo paneling, which can easily replaced, because of screw inserts
    • Innovative touchpad design - big, allows for the use of stylus and LED integrated LED indicators, appose to having a dedicate placement on the laptop for it.
    • intriguing keyboard design to match the bamboo paneling
    • PowerGear button is now interactive, it will glow different colours according to how much power you are consuming.
    • Environmentally friendly

I can now see that this is one of the most innovative designs, that touchpad is now a 3 in 1 device, touchpad, stylus pad area, and LED indicator, which should help reduce costs.

I hope Asus keeps that design as well as the interactive PowerGear button on all of their future laptops.

By the way, the laptop looks amazing, might be expensive? Specs? 1 Year till release

Thanks,

MysticGolem
    ASUS V1JP
    • 15.4" WSXGA+, XP Pro
    • T7200 2.0Ghz
    • 1700 512MB
    • 1x 1024MB DDR2 667
    • 120GB @5400RPM SATA (Seagate)
    • 8x Super Multi DVD Burner

Click Here to View my Review on the ASUS V1JP. | Click Here to view the Battery Life Issue Article

Notebook Retailer

This is AWESOME! I doubt it will drive the price of the notebook down but i am personally a nature lover and i do recycle and get pissed of when i see people throw away stuff that can be sold or donated. where i live there is no paper recycling so once a month i will take my cardboard garbage and give it to my parents and they will give me their plastic and glass because in their neighborhood that is not recycled. I may be a freak but i live on this planet so does everyone else. Long story short i would definitely consider something like this over any other even though the pics posted there are not very pretty

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Quote Originally Posted by Geared2play.com View Post
    This is AWESOME! I doubt it will drive the price of the notebook down but i am personally a nature lover and i do recycle and get pissed of when i see people throw away stuff that can be sold or donated. where i live there is no paper recycling so once a month i will take my cardboard garbage and give it to my parents and they will give me their plastic and glass because in their neighborhood that is not recycled. I may be a freak but i live on this planet so does everyone else. Long story short i would definitely consider something like this over any other even though the pics posted there are not very pretty
    TREEHUGGERS UNITE!
    Alienware M11x - SU7300 / GT335m / 8gb DDR3 / 60gb Vertex II

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast