Quantcast Asus G73JW-3DE Owners Lounge - Page 20

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Asus G73JW-3DE Owners Lounge

THanks for the help Jelski.I did a clean install of the drivers.That fixed the Problem.Now they are running great and i m loving the improvement that comes with it specially the colours.

Also i would like to confirm the marginal increase in Frame rates

Dirt 2 - all maxed out - 1-2 fps increase
    Mafia 2 - all maxed with physx disabled - 4-5 fps increase

Notebook Consultant

Seagate Firmware Update done.Succesful at one go.Everything looks good until now.

Also read through all the posts in the thread.Its good see wonderful people helping each other out in this forum.Its gives you great assurance coz you know where to look for in case of a problem.

This has been the best Laptop i have owned by far.

Question Time : Has anyone tried upgrading the Bios version to 205 ? If so any problems or complications or methods i should be aware of ?

cheers

Notebook Enthusiast

The bios update went fine with me in one time. Just use newest winflash downloaded from the asus site.
    goodluck
    Ill be sending mine next week for service to asus since my stutter problems aren't gone yet. even after 4 clean install's

Well enjoy your system.

Notebook Consultant

At this the only problem i have is the 2D video would stutter with 3D vision enabled...u have to disable 3D vision with the ROG button..this happen after updating NVIDIA drivers..Stock drivers worked fine..Nothing serious tho

@Jelski..I m really sorry for u man..i wish u could have got a better problem free one..hope its just the HDD :-/

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by souravsunny View Post
    THanks for the help Jelski.I did a clean install of the drivers.That fixed the Problem.Now they are running great and i m loving the improvement that comes with it specially the colours.

Also i would like to confirm the marginal increase in Frame rates

Dirt 2 - all maxed out - 1-2 fps increase
    Mafia 2 - all maxed with physx disabled - 4-5 fps increase
    Glad its worked out for you, but I am seeing very different results. I don't have Dirt 2, but I do have Mafia 2. After reading your posts I downloaded the latest nVidia driver and updated (from 267.?? can't remember the last digits) to the 270.?? version.

Mafia 2 settings: 1080p, no physix, no aa, aniostropic filter at 2x

267 drivers on Mafia 2 benchmark = 37 - 38 FPS average
    270 drivers on Mafia 2 benchmark = 34 FPS

Minor variations of course, but I think I might revert back to my older drivers.

Notebook Enthusiast

im not impressed of the new driver as well. i read more ppl have trouble with the new driver.
    something simple like solitaire is not playable at all anymore with me heheh

maybe stay with the older 267 version indeed

Notebook Enthusiast

Just to update I went back and did some further testing using the Mafia 2 benchmark. As before, 1080p, no physx, no aa, asf 2x and all other settings on max.

Testing with 270 drivers - 34.0 FPS average

Reverted back to 267 drivers and reran the test - 38.4FPS average

The average doesn't tell the whole story either. The lows are about the same on both drivers though slightly less dramatic on 267, however at the higher end some scenes were about 48 on 267, but nearer 38 on 270.

I am sticking with 267 for now and will wait until the next release before upgrading again.

Quote Originally Posted by jelski View Post
    im not impressed of the new driver as well. i read more ppl have trouble with the new driver.

Really sorry to hear you still having such grief with your machine. It really does sound like a nightmare. For all its quirks I am pretty happy with my machine. Having imported to the UK, I have ended up with a hell of a lot of laptop for my money and it has impressed some friends. Hopefully you get yours sorted. It definitely sounds like its needs to be RMA'd

Hey guys,

First of all I have to thank you to have created such a great forum. Very helpful!

Unfortunately I had nothing but trouble with my G73JW-3DE since I had bought it last December.

First I had trouble installing my old Canon printer. Got a new one. Same problem ("printer not responding" - no matter if it was connected via USB or WLAN). Nobody seemed to be able to help me - neither the ASUS nor the Canon support. I finally got it working with a new cable...even though it stopped working again yesterday for no reasons as I hadn't changed anything. The model is the Canon MG5220. Has anybody experienced similar problems?

More importantly though I have trouble installing new NVIDIA drivers. Tried the 267xxx and the new 270xxx ones. Every time I install them over the old preinstalled ones (260xxx I believe? No clean install) the 3D completely stops working and I will only get a purple colored set up wizard in which I am not able to set up the 3D. Only way to get it working is to uninstall the 3D controller driver and reinstall it. This doesn't solve the problem though...

...that every time I run Firefox 4 the 3D Vision mode is automatically enabled (even though I set it to not start with any program in the control panel) with no green light (no light at all) and Firefox completely lags. Only thing I can do is to disable it with the ROG button or disable the hardware acceleration in the Firefox options.

The same thing (Firefox 4) happens when I do a clean install even though I am able to get the 3D running right away.

I have the following (preinstalled) NVIDIA drivers and software on my computer:

NVIDIA 3D Vision Video Player 1.6.4
    NVIDIA Display Control panel 6.14.12.6114
    NVIDIA Drivers 1.10.62.40
    NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D driver 7.17.12.6114

Since I am not an expert when it comes to installing new drivers it would be great if somebody could provide me with a step by step tutorial about what exactly I have to uninstall and to install (which drivers?) to get it working. I feel stupid about asking this but I have already spent a lot of time trying and researching online so I am getting quite desperate. BTW I downloaded the complete 3D Vision Notebook CD 267xxx and the new 270xxx where all drivers should be included, right? Or do I need anything else?

Last thing is that my laptop doesn't switch to High Performance when it runs on battery even though I enabled this in the power settings. Very strange. I tried to update the BIOS but this also didn't help. This means that I can never play any games on battery mode because they all lag.

So...overall I am quite annoyed at having spent 2200 $ (including a SSD) on a brand new high end machine and having to deal with these stupid problems.

I hope you can help me figuring this out. Thanks so much in advance.
    Last edited by nestor-pa; 22nd April 2011 at 03:33 AM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi Nestor,

Obviously a few things to address in your post so here goes.

1) The Canon printer. To be honest, I cannot really help you here. I have never actually tried to setup a printer on my laptop yet. Have a Brother printer/scanner at home, but not needed it so far. Sorry.

2) The drivers. This I do have some experience with. First of all, excluding the drivers that came with the laptop, nVidia releases up unitl 270 did not include the 3D Vision IR emmiter drivers. 270 changes this and is now a full package. When I first tried to upgrade to 270, depsite selecting "clean install" in the custom menu, my 3D Vision was broken. To fix, I used Add/Remove programs in Control Panels and uninstalled everything nVidia. After a couple of reboots I installed 270 from scratch, using express settings, and everything worked fine including 3D vision. However, framerates were slower than 267 as per my other posts.

When going back to 267 I uninstalled everything through the Control Panel again and installed the 267 drivers. However, this broke 3D vision as the 267 pack does not included the emmitter drivers. I tried installing the standalone IR drivers from nVidia's website, but this just gave me the coloured anaglyph 3D style. To fix, I uninstalled everything, installed the original drivers the came with the laptop, then installed 267 over that. Now everything, including 3D vision works fine.

3) Laggy Browser. I don't use Firefox, but I had the same problem with IE9 (only the 32bit version though, 64bit is fine). I have since found that using the ROG button to disable 3D once seems to keep that setting indefinitely. Now, bu default, 3D vision is disabled when I load the browser and I don't get lag. I might be wrong, but I think its an issue with Flash, which would explain why it lags on Firefox as well.

4) High Performance on battery. Well, my laptop lets me select High Performance whilst on battery. No real issues. However, I do notice that game performance is impacted when on battery. I assume that there just simply isn't as much power, regardless of settings, when on battery. Playing COD MW2 for example, is fine at 1080p normally, but when on the train recently I was playing it, but dropped to 720p to minimise lag when on battery. Works fine. Don't think you have anything to worry about here.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre2k View Post
    Glad its worked out for you, but I am seeing very different results. I don't have Dirt 2, but I do have Mafia 2. After reading your posts I downloaded the latest nVidia driver and updated (from 267.?? can't remember the last digits) to the 270.?? version.

Mafia 2 settings: 1080p, no physix, no aa, aniostropic filter at 2x

267 drivers on Mafia 2 benchmark = 37 - 38 FPS average
    270 drivers on Mafia 2 benchmark = 34 FPS

Minor variations of course, but I think I might revert back to my older drivers.

I will try and do a benchmark this weekend and let you know the results..as far as i remember last benchmark i did was to show a friend and the settings were

1080p,no AA,anistropic filtering was 1x ,geometric details High,
    make sure the POwer profile is set to High Performance,dont remember if had the turbo button enabled ,and Mafia 2 gave me roughly 40fps or more...this was with the 270.61 drivers..
    will try and post actual results as soon as i manage some time..

Quote Originally Posted by jelski View Post

i somehow have a feeling either its a driver issue or a hard disk issue.Considering u installed windows a number of times leaves it to the hard disks...only if u could remove the OS hard drive and try installing windows on the 2nd hard drive and see if it works...but that would require a bit of courage ... :-|

also do u have the Power4Gear set to High Performance or Entertainment mode... ?

Also i would like to mention for the NVIDIA driver updates always unsinstall the older drivers before installing new ones.

i think i had provided the Link couple of pages back for the 270 drivers ..its NOT the 3D Vision CD package..

U will find the NVIDIA drivers for Windows 7 64-bit here NVIDIA DRIVERS 270.61 WHQL

after uninstalling the previous drivers download the new ones and select clean install from the menu..

the only problem i have after installing 270 drivers is that when not using 3D i have to keep the 3D vision disabled by pressing the ROG button otherwise the 2D videos start lagging...thats the only prob i m facing now...and thats just a driver issue..i guess i can live with that..

Just managed some time out from work..here is the benchmark..pic attached below..please excuse the low quality(taken from a smartphone :-|)

Settings

Power Profile : High Performance
    Turbo : Disabled
    Resolution : 1080p
    AA : Off
    Anisotropic Filter : 1x
    PhysX :Off
    Geometric Details : High
    Avg FPS : 43.4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23042011007.jpg  
    Last edited by ALLurGroceries; 25th April 2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: merged 4 posts