Quantcast Asus N73JQ Owners' Lounge - Page 27

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 139 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Asus N73JQ Owners' Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by hatcher View Post
    I found this in depth review of the N73JQ online and thought it may be of interest... Review Asus N73JQ Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews
    I'm glad somebody criticized the keyboard. I hated settling for it, but so many otherwise excellent laptops are using this same garbage! So there!

I'm going to take Hatcher's suggestion and use the rubber strips--as soon as I can find them.

Hatcher, it would be a service to the forum if you took photos of your fix. Thank you!

On the other hand, my touchpad buttons are very quiet, and the pad itself is smooth.
    Last edited by Cary Ader; 24th December 2010 at 02:37 PM.
    Asus N73Jq-A2: 17.3" 1600x900 LED Backlit; Intel i7-740QM; nVidia GT 425M; 12GB DDR3 1333MHz Corsair RAM; Crucial 256GB M4 SSD; Seagate 500GB 7200RPM; Bang&Olufsen ICEpower sound; Intel Advanced-N 6200 wireless adapter; USB 3.0; Windows 7 Ultimate; built-in webcam lens cover ; spare battery

Notebook Consultant

So Iīve finaly got my hands on the X7B and it turns out that driver DVD says: Driver and utility: N73JQ/PRO7BJQ/X7BJQ
    So these 3 are the same with some minor differencies in config.

I hope Iīll get the backup burned soon and then get rid of the bloatware.
    The wifi works but the switch is somewhat strange - it shows when the WIFI is disableb but not when enabled. The FN switch workes only sometimes. So I have some work cut out for the rest of today

BTW Someone said that he could not fit the laptop in the laptop compartment of the bag that came with it - no problem here. Only the reversal process of taking the laptop out of the bag is a bit tricky
    The bag is a Targus brand and has logos of ASUS on it

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Ader View Post
    I'm glad somebody criticized the keyboard. I hated settling for it, but so many otherwise excellent laptops are using this same garbage! So there!

I'm going to take Hatcher's suggestion and use the rubber strips--as soon as I can find them.

Hatcher, it would be a service to the forum if you took photos of your fix. Thank you!

On the other hand, my touchpad buttons are very quiet, and the pad itself is smooth.
    The keyboard is probably my biggest complaint about this unit. Not just that it seems pretty flimsy and low-quality compared to the rest of the machine, but the layout is poor. If they had recouped even just 3/4" of that empty space on the left, they could have vastly improved the user-experience of typing on this thing.

A numeric keypad shouldn't just be squeezed in for the heck of it.....it should be assumed that people who choose a unit with that feature need it, and as much thought should be put into its usability as goes into the rest of the keyboard. Oh wait, I think that's exactly what Asus did here....

I'm surprised you say your touchpad buttons are quiet. Mine are fairly stiff and have a loud click. The touchpad, in fact, is my second biggest complaint. While it's still better than all the others I looked at, and as you say, it's very smooth, I am in fact still having a hard time getting used to it. But I suspect the issue has more to do with the Elan software than the physical component, so I think I may experiment with alternate drivers.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Ader View Post
    Hatcher, it would be a service to the forum if you took photos of your fix. Thank you.
    Unfortunately i don't have a digital camera, if you remove your hdd cover and take a look at the rubber(ish) strips attached to the underside of the cover that's the exact same thickness and density you need for the keyboard "fix".

I hear the G73 chiclet style keyboard is a direct fit and offers more rigidity though i have yet to confirm this for myself so that's a possible remedy as well.

Notebook Consultant

Guys, who has a TV tuner in their N73?
    I canīt find any software to use the damn tuner. Driver is installed but I donīt know any free software.
    The winamp TV plugin I had on desktop with AVER TV card doesnīt work.
    Should I use the AVER MEDIA?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by deekaysk View Post
    Guys, who has a TV tuner in their N73?
    I canīt find any software to use the damn tuner. Driver is installed but I donīt know any free software.
    The winamp TV plugin I had on desktop with AVER TV card doesnīt work.
    Should I use the AVER MEDIA?
    The U.S. models don't have a tuner. It wouldn't be much use here, since the cable systems use pretty effective access controls (i.e., you need their tuner boxes or CableCards to access anything worth watching). I believe Windows Media Center has some basic TV/DVR functions.

Notebook Consultant

Thanks, Media center works, although itīs a bit anti-customizable in terms of fine tuning the frequency etc. but itīll do for now.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi everyone,
    First of all Happy Holiydays!!!
    I just sign up because i finaly managed to get this beautiful machine. I want to thank for all the advices in this thread.
    But I have a question. Is there on the web any disassemby guide for this notebook? Thanks again

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by ionutd123 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    First of all Happy Holiydays!!!
    I just sign up because i finaly managed to get this beautiful machine. I want to thank for all the advices in this thread.
    But I have a question. Is there on the web any disassemby guide for this notebook? Thanks again
    Welcome! I have not seen any disassembly guide or instructions beyond the basic directions for accessing the HDD/WLAN/RAM compartment. I too would like to see one, so I'll be watching and hoping someone posts something like that. Is there a particular upgrade you want to do that requires more complete disassembly?

2Cary Ader
    How memory works on your N73JQ: dual-channel or triple-cannel mode?
    What program or game uses all from 12 Gb of memory?