Quantcast Asus G51Jx Owners Lounge - Page 106

+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 223 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 2222
    FFC

Default Re: Asus G51Jx Owners Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by wolverin0 View Post
    i pasted the wrong address... my bad

NEW LCD ASUS G51J G51J-A1 G51J3D 15.6 WXGA GLOSSY LED - eBay (item 320524416490 end time Oct-25-10 14:23:41 PDT)

So, anyone willing to try this? I think i'll order one G51J3D and try
    Are there any really good 3D games though? Anyone know how this would compare to the our regular full HD displays?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jack2727 View Post
    HEy rex what would you say the average 3DMark is for our laptop?
    Edit: Have you tried VirutalMark? from futuremark, its pretty good, can get a good estimate in a few seconds of your systms score (9600) no overclocked or turbo
    Edit: My overclock settings crashed my driver half way through LoL game, I am confined to default settings "To bad" it would seem with my inability to overlock my gpu, i will never reach 10,000 score on this laptop
    Jack, I'll betcha with some "patience and understanding" you can overclock your GPU to some extent, maybe not to where you think you should be but surely more than standard settings, where you seem to be mired presently.

My suggestion would be for you to start the overclocking with the Core and Shaders locked together and take it slowly but surely up with the Core Clock first, and see if you could get somewhere up near 610-620 base Clock (Core) with the Shaders in the low 1500's, for starters this is where I would go with a difficult to clock GPU chip.

Once you get that stabilzed, wherever you end up there should be between 600-625 Core clocks with the locked Shaders, and just leave that alone as your base setting.

Then work on the Memory clock and see if the scores in 3DMark06 continue to improve. And I'd start with the base setting on the Memory clock and do NOT go higher than 5Mhz per clocking attempt, test with the two methods (OCCT then restart with the 3DMark06 attempt after that restart), and see if your scores continue to increase...take that up until the scores start to decline or you get instability, with the Memory/Shaders left at their highest overall setting you achieved earlier, and see where you can take that GPU.

I'll betcha you can get it overclocked, even a little bit doing that particular technique, and albeit conservative it is a legitimate way to clock a GPU that is difficult as yours seems to be, and that will definitely improve your 3DMark06 scores and FPS in games also, both will improve definitely if you can get the technique to work for you.

Try it! See what happens, and be patient, Jack be very patient and slow and methodical with your clocking upward and you will get *somewhere* other than where you are right now, just try my method and see if I'm right and it works, albeit slowly--but it should work and get your GPU clocked up a bit!

Good luck, and I sure hope this idea helps you out, as I think it should...I have overclocked Sassimac's GPU doing that technique also, and I got him to moire than 10,500 3DMarks with his difficult to clock GPU chip, so I think it can also be done with your GPU, which seems to be of a similar type to his GPU.
    Asus G73SW-3DE-Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.0 to 2.9Ghz-Vertex 3 120GB SSD+500GB 7200RPM HD-Sony Optiarc 6X 5730S BluRay Burner-16GB 1333Mhz RAM-Full HD 3D 120Hz LED LCD 1920x1080P (LG)-nVidia GTX 460M 1.5GB DDR5-Intel "Ultimate" N-6300 WiFi-nVidia P854 3D StereoVision Glasses-16,231 3DMarks in '06!//-G51JX-A1 SOLD!+Three (3) Core i7 920 & 970 CPU Custom-Built Desktops 'CLOCKED to 4.2Ghz On AIR-Doing FAHome 24/7 for Team EVGA!

Notebook Deity

Memory and Stability with G51JX-A1/X5 Core i7 CPU Notebooks

This is a further explanation of where I think this notebook benefits best from its 1333Mhz memory allocation, as we know it is capable of using up to 16GB SDRAM, in a matched or random batch of high-quality 1333Mhz SODIMMs (be they 4GB SODIMMs in 2x 8GB matched "kits" or simply 4GB SODIMMs bought individually and assembled into a 16GB allocation of RAM); we also know it can support 12GB RAM in the configuration that I extensively tested for our mutual benefits previously, which is 2 x 2GB 1333Mhz SODIMMs paired with 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz SODIMMs, either an 8GB "Kit" or a pair of 4GB individual SODIMMs, totaling 12GB RAM, and I found that this particular combo of 12GB yielded the highest througput in Everest Utltimate Benchmark Testing, across the board, plus it tested to be much more stable than 16GB did overall, as the memory controller gets "overloaded" or shall we say "saturated" at the 16GB quotient, and the notebook suffered freezes, and significant performance bottlenecks with 16GB vs 12GB RAM, or so I found testing the Corsair brand of RAM in this notebook.

However, I've even gone further into this whole genre of a subject this past week in my spare time (the little I've had getting SassiMac's notebook together and assembled, tested, and off to Australia, as that took up virtually all spare time I had the past 10 or so days), as even 12GB RAM seems to have some issues with the notebook especially considering that the RAM is "shared" with video VRAM from the nVidia GTS-360M video card when performance demands it, thus the onboard RAM is combined with VRAM to yield up to 4GB or more VRAM during demanding game play, and/or testing situations too.

So then we get into just how "stable" the combination of onboard RAM and VRAM is with a given combination/contingent or collection of the two kinds of RAM when it is being used, for example, for 3DMark Vantge or 3DMark06 testing, as those are pretty much the standard bearers for legitimate video notebook testing these days.

Well, guys and gals, guess what I found out doing EXTENSIVE testing with 3DMark06 and Vantage both? Overall the simplest manner of conclusion that I cam to after a shirtload of tests of both Vantage and 3DMark06 was this: the notebook yields the highest, best scores in both of the Futuremark tests using 6 or 8GB of 1333Mhz RAM from onboard RAM paired with the 1024MB VRAM from the nVidia video card, compared with using 12GB onboard RAM or 16GB RAM (either one, it didn't matter, the tests were 100% conclusive either way) and the VRAM from the nVidia card.

Now this seems rather strange, does it not? Well, to me it did, and Thanks to God that I had both MY notebook and SassiMac's notebook to use, so I had not just one, but two of these G51JX-series notebooks with identical RAM and video card characteristics to compare, so the results were stunning, and somewhat controversial in nature, but nonetheless there they were, and they were undeniable: the notebook works best with simply the OEM RAM contingent, and/or 8GB RAM, ie 3 x 2GB 1333Mhz SODIMMs or 4 x 2GB SODIMMs, either way it didn't matter, time and time again I achieved higher scores in both Vantage AND 3DMark06 with BOTH NOTEBOOKS!!!

And I am talking a BIG DIFFERENCE to boot, not just 50 or 100 points or more, but up to 500-700 3DMarks (points) difference between having the 6/8GB contingent or collection of RAM in the notebook, or 12GB or 16GB RAM in the notebook paired with the VRAM from the nVidia video card. So I dunno I was somewhat shocked and surprised with these findings, but it appears that the OEM RAM/VRAM combination is the truly best setup for testing purposes, and that the Futuremark Suite of tests yielded consistently over and over again the best results BY FAR, BY REALLY FAR and away the best results by using the 3 or 4X 2GB SODIMMs vs any combination of 4GB SODIMMs and the OEM RAM, or just all 4GB SODIMMs themselves, it didn't matter, the stock RAM plus the VRAM worked better every time, every test, in BOTH notebooks!

I called up Corsair about these findings, and my tech experts there, a John M, and a Gary D, both told me that they were equally as surprised as I was about the findings, but that in reality the notebook's memory controller was the mutual bottleneck in the testing, and that the bigger amounts of RAM in the notebook might be "great bragging rights" as one of them put it, and/or "best for Photoshop or other high-RAM yield applications" like video programs, sound editing programs, etc etc., but for performance testing it was the OEM 6GB or 8GB of RAM plus the VRAM that worked best, time after time again, and that was the end of the story line that I found, shocking or not, the facts were there and I stand by my testing 100% since I was able to use not one, but two notebooks doing the testing before I had to ship SassiMac's notebook off to Australia, and a much better life than being my 2nd tester!!

Consequently Corsair suggested that I RMA my 8GB of their RAM in any case, as an aside to my testing, because it was suspect in several of my tests, while SassiMac's Corsair RAm outperformed my set of 8GB of the Corsair RAm time and time again, so there's something amiss about my RAM that I bought from Amazon.com vs how SassiMac's was performing, so Corsair has offered to replace it for me on an RMA. So off it's going tomorrow to Fremont, CA, land of the notebook RMa it seems, what with Asus being there, Corsair being there, and any number of other large-scale RAM or hardware computer operations including my favorite hardward HD enclosure company FirmTek, LLC, they are there in Fremont, also!

So right now I am using 8GB RAM in my notebook, as I added a 2GB SODIMM of Patriot "signature series" notebook RAM to the OEM Kingston 3x 2GB RAM contingent, and strange as strange would be, I have tested my notebook with this setup the past day and lo and behold I am getting my best 3DMark06 and Vantage test scores, over and over again last night and tonight both, by using 8GB RAM in the notebook vs 12GB or 16GB, either one, so go figure! I cannot for the life of me guess why this is happening, but it must be related to that memory controller for the computer and its inability to properly administer a large contingent of RAM to any great benefit to the notebook or program use, and certain testing results be damned!

The Patirot RAM is in fact, according to Everest anyway, Micron RAM, and Micron RAM shows up in System profiler for the Everest application, as seen in the graphic that I am including in tonight's post, strange as that may seem also...so now we know who supplies Patriot with their 1333Mhz RAm modules! Good old Everest Ultimate, it's the Truth Serum for any sort of hardware situation, and it tells no lie here either!

So that's the story tonight, and I am here to report it faithfully to all you who are thinking of using more than 8GB of RAM in the computer, and basically guys and gals, if any, it seems to be a waste of good old All-American $$$'s to stock up one of the G51's with 12GB or 16GB of RAM...it might turn a few heads, and it might be of some benefit when one is using multiple high-yield RAM programs at the same time while working hard on a project or assignment of whatever sort you can think of...but overall using 6GB or 8GB of RAM in this notebook seems to be the logical way to go with it! That idea is congealed from much thinking about this subject, a ton of testing results and efforts both in my notebook and SassiMac's to boot, albeit his being virtually new and mine being an earlier example of the breed, they are both G51JX-series notebooks through and through, and representative of the genre such as it is, and I feel 100% justified in writing the conclusions I came to in the past couple of days, and strange though they are, they are what they are, end of story!

Thanks for bearing with me in this and the other posts about this RAM issue, but so be the story of RAM in this notebook, and I for one will keep both 8GB handy, and 16GB handy, for whatever reason I don't actually know at this point considering the results of my tests and gaming and program use the past two weeks, but that's what I am personally doing with respect to RAM use herein with this notebook of mine.

It's a great notebook, it seems, and quite able to go about its business with 8GB of RAM vs 12GB or 16GB of RAM on board, or even the OEM 6GB of RAM is adequate for most tasks, so don't feel like you have to score an extra 2GB to come up with 8GB RAM because 6GB works awfully well in the notebook, too! As for having 12GB of 16GB of RAM in this notebook: it might be of some great benefits for those owners who need such a continent for Photoshop, Avid Cinema or Sony Vegas,or maybe Pinnacle Studio programs and working with huge amounts of data or various things like sound tracks or publishing books, manuscripts, etc and the like, so there's a place for 12GB of RAM or even 16GB RAM in one of these notebooks too, it turns out!

It's nice to have the ability to use so much and such a varied allocation of RAM in a small form factor device like a G51-series notebook in any case, so Kudos to all of us who own these fine notebooks! Yah? I think so!!
    Have a nice rest of the week fellow owners of this great notebook, and I hope that i haven't bored to death any of you with my writing about this subject, as I really didn't have a mind to do any such thing, it's just that the subject matter is sort of "long in the tooth" to start with, and it doesn't get any better to have to combine a lot of statistical data in with the writing to boot, so my bad on these complex, but interesting subjects!!

If any of you have any questions about any of the above, please don't hesitate to ask, and I'll do my best to help you understand something that may or may not be clear as a bell about all of this so be my guest, write me here in the thread of send me a PM, I'll answer both quickly, and with all due diligence.

I love my G51JX-A1 notebook! It's the best notebook I've ever owned, and I cannot imagine a better one for all purposes, be it gaming, testing, work, and pure and unadulterated FUNZ! May God Bless and Keep us All!
    Last edited by rexrzer727; 20th October 2010 at 02:41 AM.
    Asus G73SW-3DE-Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.0 to 2.9Ghz-Vertex 3 120GB SSD+500GB 7200RPM HD-Sony Optiarc 6X 5730S BluRay Burner-16GB 1333Mhz RAM-Full HD 3D 120Hz LED LCD 1920x1080P (LG)-nVidia GTX 460M 1.5GB DDR5-Intel "Ultimate" N-6300 WiFi-nVidia P854 3D StereoVision Glasses-16,231 3DMarks in '06!//-G51JX-A1 SOLD!+Three (3) Core i7 920 & 970 CPU Custom-Built Desktops 'CLOCKED to 4.2Ghz On AIR-Doing FAHome 24/7 for Team EVGA!

Notebook Deity

Here's that graphic that I alluded to in my last post, sorry about that but I neglected to post it I got so involved with writing that couple of graphs there, as some of it confused even me!

The graphiX here simply shows what Everest conceives of the 2GB SODIMM of Patriot memory that I am presently using in the notebook to make up 8GB of RAM with the OEM 6GB of Kingston 1333Mhz RAM.

It shows that indeed Micron makes the RAM for Patriot in this instance, and perhaps others also, I dunno, but surely in this instance that is the case: Micron RAM it is!

That's about it, again sorry I neglected to post this in the last write I did about this complex RAM subject...
    Last edited by rexrzer727; 24th October 2010 at 06:24 AM.

Notebook Consultant

had to uninstall the Intel management engine, because AVG detected it as a virus and wouldnt let it run....
    Even after uninstall and reinstall AVG still thinks its a virus, I did some browsing online and other people are also having this problem with AVG

Update: I know as a fact that ASUS wouldn't put a virus infected file o nthere own website, not to mention I had that thing installed since i got this comp, so i just added the SUPPOSIVE infected file to the exceptions list (UDS.exe)

Uninstalled and reinstalled just to make sure it wasnt a virus
    Last edited by Jack2727; 21st October 2010 at 12:10 PM.
    ASUS G51Jx-A1 - i7 720QM - GTS 360M - 8GB Ram 3DMark06 11,173
    Computer Systems Technician Year 1 Passed
    Computer Systems Technician Year 2 Passed
    Graduated

Notebook Enthusiast

had to uninstall the Intel management engine, because AVG detected it as a virus and wouldnt let it run....
    Even after uninstall and reinstall AVG still thinks its a virus, I did some browsing online and other people are also having this problem with AVG

Update: I know as a fact that ASUS wouldn't put a virus infected file o nthere own website, not to mention I had that thing installed since i got this comp, so i just added the SUPPOSIVE infected file to the exceptions list (UDS.exe)

What does that intel management engine do?

I wouldn't trust the asus download site if I were you. last time I updated my wireless driver, I end up with BSOD right after restart.

Notebook Deity

It really doesn't matter which one of these you pick as they will *both work* fine in your laptop, however there's a review from an owner of an Asus G73JH that is on the page with the 1st listed RAM, which is a companion model notebook to our G51 series notebooks, and he said that the RAM is "perfect" for his computer...so at least there's a recommendation there for the 1st listed RAM which you could use to justify a purchase of that 1st listed RAM type module.

So the choice is yours really, as they'll both work fine in your new laptop if it's a G51-series of some sort, as you don't identify which notebook you own in your post...so which notebook do you have, then may I ask?

We should have a hard and fast rule here that people can't post if they don't identify which notebook they presently own, but it will never happen at notebookreview.com I'll betcha, and I wouldn't have to be asking this person the question I just did.

It is a good idea however, generically speaking about RAM purchases, to buy the same BRAND of RAM that your notebook has, if possible, and if the notebook in question here has Kingston RAM in it then I'd be inclined to purchase the same brand I already have in the notebook if you get my drift here.

When I bought a 2GB SODIMM for my notebook, to fill up the available slot to make up 8GB RAM vs having 6GB RAM in the notebook, I had the opportunity to purchase Kingston RAM at Amazon.com, but I passed because there was one review about the Kingston RAM at Amazon.com that gave it a bad rating, saying it was "fake" and some other interesting comments, so I went with the Patriot brand RAM and it has worked out purrrrfect in my notebook, when I am using 8GB RAM, instead of 12GB or 16GB RAM, which are the other choices I have. I have 4 Corsair 4GB SODIMMs for use when I want/need 16GB RAM in the notebook, or when I want/need to have 12GB RAM I have that contingent available also, with two Corsair SODIMMs along with two Kingston SODIMMs, I guess...you could say that "I have all bases covered" with respect to RAM in my G51-series notebook!

The notebook works optimally for testing and game playing with 8GB RAM, and for Photoshop extended use, or when I am working with my cinema programs such as Avid or Sony Vegas, or Pinnacle Studio for sound track work, I have the option to install up to 16GB RAM in the notebook...my choice... It's quite simple, at this point having done it so many times, to pop off the back cover of my notebook and install whatever contingent of RAM I prefer for a given day's work, but in all honestly I feel most secure and prepared for any assignment or use with 12GB RAM, as that feels like the size contingent that is best for ALL uses.

But right now, with 8GB RAM on the way up to Corsair for an RMA exchange I am using the 4 x 2GB SODIMMs for an 8GB pairing and things couldn't be better, if you ask me...so that may be my *permanent* contingent with my G51 notebook, however since I own 4 x 4GB SODIMMs of the Corsair brand I'll keep my options "open" with respect to RAM use and just take it in stride right now about RAM allocations...

Jack, why don't you just dump the AVG stuff, it's sort of my worst favorite type of anti-virus program...just an aside for your uses of the notebook. I suggest that you use Microsoft's free "Security Essentials" as that one is pretty seamless, works great in my experience as a virus catcher/scanner and overall security system.

Plus it's *made* by Microsoft itself, and for that reason alone it works very, very well with the OS by MS, my opinion only right there but it seems to be the case as I use it in two of my Core i7 desktops right now and it's been great so far...I can't even tell it's On or Off when it's working, there's no lags, keyboard stuttering, or other tell-tale signs of a laggy anti-virus program using the Security Essentials suite.

That would be my suggestion for you today, and again it's simply my subjective view of AVG as I had very bad luck using it in the past, and will not use it in any computer that I own or work on for friends, family, or business either!

thanx for the info. I have the asus g51j-x1 currently with 4gb. I figured they both would work but I value your Opinion with this choice. I read these forms all the time and I think you do more things for this laptop than asus themself with all the testing and see what works the best.....you really know what your doing so thanks for all you been doing for us users who read these forms. I defenly got to get a ssd drive I read that post so I bet your laptop flys....oh and how do I remove the throttleing again 106 post is alot to read again.

Notebook Consultant

invest into SSD first ;-) more than 4GB is useless for 98% of programs and games
    ASUS G51Jx-SZ168D
    Core i3-330m 2,13Ghz@2,72Ghz
    2x2GB DDR3 1066Mhz@1360Mhz
    GTS 360M 550@658 1300@1675 1800@2150
    500GB 7200rpm seagate
    3DMark 2006 10942
    3DMark Vantage 6506