Quantcast What ASUS USB Charger Plus?

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Clintlgm

Thread: What ASUS USB Charger Plus?

Notebook Consultant

Default What ASUS USB Charger Plus?

Noob question, I KNOW! But, i need it answered. What is it? What does it do? Finally, Does it matter if i remove it or never use it?

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity[

Life is too short to remove USB

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: What ASUS USB Charger Plus?

Anyone gonna answer?

Notebook Consultant

Please Answers!

Notebook Evangelist

Just google it instead of spamming ><

It allows you to charge an iPod faster.
    Alienware M11X R1 | 11.6" 1366*768 | SU 7300 @ 1.73 GHz | GT 335M 1GB DDR3 | 4GB RAM DDR3 | 320 GB HDD |
    SOLD Asus G74SX | 17" 1920*1080 | Core i7 2630QM @ 2 GHz | GTX 560M 3GB DDR3 | 8GB RAM DDR3 | 2X 500 GB 7200RPM Momentus XT |
    Razer Stuff : Imperator - Nostromo - Blackwidow Ultim. - Naga Epic - Carcharias - Moray+ - Ferox - Goliathus - Kabuto - Onza TE
    Alienware M17X R4 | 17" 1920*1080 | 3610QM | ATI 7970 2GB | 6GB RAM DDR3 1600 | Intel 320 120GB SSD | 500 GB HDD |

lsn
    Notebook Enthusiast

congratulations. When you start typing Asus USB in to Google, Google suggests Asus USB charger plus.

guess what pops up?

Now that some time has passed, how about a bump for this thread and a user who is willing to lend some convenient information?

Notebook Consultant

ok here is more info..

If you slow charge a device the battery will last longer.

So Ausu hating Apple, made a simple program to help you destroy your apple products faster..

So you will in turn hate apple and buy product made by Asus instead.

This is just 1 idea...

It lets you use a USB port to charge a device while the laptop is in sleep mode. Basically it just allows the USB port to draw more power while the rest of the system is in a low power state.

ASUS Ai Charger - Quick charge your iPod, iPhone and even iPad!

Asus software, like the drivers they write, is frequently buggy, and usually only updated for a few months after a computer's manufacture date, when it's frequently still buggy.

All the local Asus rep could tell me about Asus USB Charger Plus when quizzed during their short free-advice-after-purchase period was, "Oh, you're better off leaving all our supplied software running." I've learnt since from sad experience that this is about the opposite of the actual reality.

Asus USB Charger Plus is a buggy piece of crap. Attached is a screencap of the program's options. Looks like the program might be handy, if you could actually change options. But left, double-left and right clicks on the program icon in the system tray all get no response. The options window popped up only once in the 1.5 years I've had it running (and clicked in hope periodically). As also experienced by another user here. Oh, and there's no newer version at the Asus website, reinstalling it didn't help, the program doesn't get a mention in my laptop's manual, and it has no help file provided with it (at least they're consistent).

For those who for some strange reason want to keep running USB Charger Plus, the defaults [see attachment] are both options ticked, and Threshold Limit at 25%, if they happen to be what you want maybe it's of some use to you. Though as Hrogi pointed out above, since it charges devices faster, which is harder on batteries, it will wear them out faster.

Fortunately plugpacks for USB-powered devices are cheap, compact and lightweight, so there's no need to rely on this piece of unreliable Asus crapware while travelling.

Some nice 'gee whiz' spin from Asus here on what seems to be the program under a previous name (trying to escape a bad rep?). And a user instruction, yay. "To enable the charge function under S3, S4, S5 mode, make sure your... device is well connected to PC under S0 first." Err, yeah, I'll be sure to spend hours googling power modes and fiddling with BIOS settings so this crappy program can still not work properly.

Just uninstall it. I won't be buying Asus next time round, their sleep/hibernation works poorly on my laptop too, hanging, bluescreening or failing to boot about every second time, which I've learnt since purchase Asus are renowned for. They should !$#% test what they write properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Asus USB Charger options [spotted only once!].jpg  

Notebook Retailer

USB3 is only capable of delivering 900mA of current at 5V, so to charge devices that want more then you have to have a special driver since the spec does not allow the port to deliver more normally. Mostly this only supports apple products though.

That's the engineering explanation of what is going on but you don't really need to know that. Catzoo gave a pretty adequate explanation.
    Sales@PowerNotebooks.com | Phone: (US) 877-711-1777 - CALL US FOR NOTEBOOKREVIEW ACTIVE MEMBER DISCOUNTS

Custom Built Sager, MSI, PowerPro, ASUS and Alienware Laptop computers, and Custom Built Crown Desktop Computers
    ResellerRatings.com Customer Satisfaction Rating =
    10/10 Better Business Bureau A+ Rated

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by RampageX View Post
    Noob question, I KNOW! But, i need it answered. What is it? What does it do? Finally, Does it matter if i remove it or never use it?
    You don't need it for anything, My right front port charges with my NB turned off. I did not install the Charger Plus after clean installing Win 8.1. Having it installed causes problems with all ports USB 3.0 Asus NB have problems supplying enough power to to all port the charger Plus only make it worse. MHO
    G75VW-DS72 Intel Core i7-3610QM, 8.1 Pro MC
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB, Seagate ST9750420AS, BD-MLT UJ240AFW