Quantcast Asus G74SX number pad "problems"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Asus G74SX number pad "problems"?

I just received my brand new Asus G74SX gaming notebook last Friday. I was really satisfied with the looks and the build quality of the machine. When starting up you really notice the speed. Fist off I installed the game WoW (World of Warcraft) which is my primary reason for buying this machine.

The game looked great and the response was good and everything was fine until I tried flying. If you are a regular gamer you know that key bindings are very important. In my WoW settings I have bound the “zero” key on the number pad to “jump / fly up”.
    But when I hit the “zero” button on the number pad I just registers as a normal “zero” and not as “zero” on the number pad.

This is a huge problem for me, if this is working as intended you would lose 4 to 6 good buttons for key bindings on the number pad. Sins this is a gaming machine I hope I am doing something wrong, or else I will return the PC to the seller, which is sad as this is a realy fine machine. But this is as I said after all a gaming "rig", but if the number pad is just a replica of the normal keys it will not go down very well with a lot of players.

Anybody with any experience ragarding this "problem"?

Notebook Retailer

Default Re: Asus G74SX number pad "problems"?

When you bound the key to the 0 on the num pad, was your Num Lock on? That would affect whether or not it registers the number 0 or just that location.

Notebook Enthusiast

There are no "numlock" on this model. Where the numlock button usualy are there is a button that opens the calculator of all things.
    It might be useful for gamers who needs a quick calculation midgame??? :-)

Notebook Retailer

Lol...I took a look at that model and it does not come with a num lock as you mentioned. That does seem odd that they would replace that with a calculator. Unfortunately, I am not sure if there is a solution to that.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Brett@XoticPC View Post
    Unfortunately, I am not sure if there is a solution to that.
    That is what I am very afraid of, I have a 45 day free return on the machine and I am starting to think about using it.

Notebook Enthusiast

I had a look at the Toshiba Qosmio X770 but it "only" supports 1600x900 screen resolution.

Notebook Guru

While I don't have my G74 yet (it has shipped!!) there has to be something overlooked. Looking at images inside the manual it does show a number lock button but the keyboard itself shows a different icon (pointer) on the same button. Have you guys tried to hold FN while pressing this pointer button? Maybe Chastity can answer better since she has a G74 for review.
    Here's from the manual. page 42 Just trying to help.

When the numeric keypad is engaged by pressing [Fn][Ins/Num LK], the number lock LED lights up.
    Asus G74SX-A1: [17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type"] [i7 2630QM] [12GB DDR3 1333MHz] [Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB] [Pri-500GB Seagate XT Hybrid HDD] [Sec-500GB HDD(7200)] [Blu-Ray Player] [Stock Wireless + BT] [Win 7 Premium(clean) w/DVD] [Backpack and Gaming Mouse] [New designed keyboard]

Notebook Enthusiast

I think that the description on page 42 is for using part of your keyboard as a number pad.

If you look at page 43 it says: "Extended Keyboard (on selected models)
    An extended keyboard is available on selected models. The extended keyboard has a dedicated numeric keypad for easy number entry. Use [Num Lk / Scr Lk] to toggle between using the extended keypad as numbers or as pointer directions."

The picture on the page is not what you get on your computer. I tried holding down the "FN" button to no succsess.
    Clearly they have made some changes to the production model after the manual was maed, I just cant figure out WHY? A calculator button????
    Well you can say its a new thing....

I have sent an support ticket to Asus and have gotten sort of an answer they said: “Thank you for your feedback, unfortunatly we don't have any solution for your issue.”
    I replied that thy must be able to tell me if the number pad is working as intended by the designers.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcleaver View Post
    I think that the description on page 42 is for using part of your keyboard as a number pad.

If you look at page 43 it says: "Extended Keyboard (on selected models)
    An extended keyboard is available on selected models. The extended keyboard has a dedicated numeric keypad for easy number entry. Use [Num Lk / Scr Lk] to toggle between using the extended keypad as numbers or as pointer directions."

The picture on the page is not what you get on your computer. I tried holding down the "FN" button to no succsess.
    Clearly they have made some changes to the production model after the manual was maed, I just cant figure out WHY? A calculator button????
    Well you can say its a new thing....

I have sent an support ticket to Asus and have gotten sort of an answer they said: “Thank you for your feedback, unfortunatly we don't have any solution for your issue.”
    I replied that thy must be able to tell me if the number pad is working as intended by the designers.
    Oh well worth a try. No solution is not acceptable. How could they overlook this when designing the keyboard? Have you tried the second keyboard option? Maybe connecting a usb keyboard will allow control of the number lock? dunno...now I'm getting worried about mine when it arrives...
    Asus G74SX-A1: [17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type"] [i7 2630QM] [12GB DDR3 1333MHz] [Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB] [Pri-500GB Seagate XT Hybrid HDD] [Sec-500GB HDD(7200)] [Blu-Ray Player] [Stock Wireless + BT] [Win 7 Premium(clean) w/DVD] [Backpack and Gaming Mouse] [New designed keyboard]

Notebook Enthusiast

I have tried to connect a USB keyboard and that numberpad works just fine, but the pad on the Asus doesent.

Pressing the numlock on the usb keyboard does nothing on the Asus.

Note that this is only a problem if you bind spesial keys to the number pad that is diferent from your 1 to 0 keys. Playing WoW I loos 4 keybindings i need. Looks like a return for me.
    Please let me know if your model has the same layout. If your model has "numlock" I will buye it, but i do not think so. Real sad because it realy is a "kikk ¤%# " PC in every other aspect. Looks great, silent and cool.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast