Quantcast ASUS G73JW - boot up problem and hard drive disapears

+ Reply to Thread

Default ASUS G73JW - boot up problem and hard drive disapears

Hi all,

Has anyone encountered the following problems?

1)does not boot up. i hit the switch on button and after about 10 seconds the fans go into overdrive and it just stays that way. this happens repeatedly and seems to be getting worse. I wonder if it has to do with a bad hard drive.

2) Hard drive simply disappeared. rebooted and still not there. reappeared the next day.

any tips would be greatly appreciated

John

Default Re: ASUS G73JW - boot up problem and hard drive disapears

It sounds like one of your hard drives may either be failing or has a bad connection.

Take off the access panel on the bottom and unscrew the hard drive trays. Then slide them out and put them back in carefully, making sure they are well seated.

ok i can attempt that, but am concerned i will lose my warranty if i mess it up

That is highly unlikely. You won't get anywhere near voiding the warranty by reseating hard drives on a G73. See this: Asus G73 Series Disassembly Guide

You need to take off 2 screws on the access panel, and a few more screws holding in the drive caddies. Then the caddies slide to unlock and you can lift them up. You don't even need to go that far. Just slide them out and back in to make sure they are well seated and screw them back in.

If the behavior continues, try booting with only one drive in at a time. Even though your OS might not boot if you don't have that drive in, you will be able to tell from the messed up power on self test if that drive is the culprit.

It could be the controller or something else, but the first guess would be the hard drive. You can also run memtest86+ to see if your RAM is a problem.

Thanks
    ill give this a try

Quote Originally Posted by johncrosa View Post

1)does not boot up. i hit the switch on button and after about 10 seconds the fans go into overdrive and it just stays that way. this happens repeatedly and seems to be getting worse. I wonder if it has to do with a bad hard drive.

John
    I am having this same problem - will try to "reset" the hard drive, but I am curious if this has been resolved for others?