Quantcast Asus G73JH A1 PSOD Twice

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Asus G73JH A1 PSOD Twice

Hi everyone,

My laptop's LCD just PSODed for the second time after 7 months.

The 1st time it happened I RMAed it immediately just to get an inferior LCD that can't display vertical lines properly. I sent that back too. I'm now using my 3rd LCD. In the 3rd month, I'm getting temporary PSOD for 2 seconds whenever I change my resolution. But not always, maybe around 50% chance it'd go PSOD and get back to normal after 2 seconds. Of course it scared the hell out of me. And then it snapped. It won't get back to normal. I wasn't surprised, in fact I was even expecting it to happen eventually.

I'm wondering if this issue happens only for G73JH with HannStar LCD. I will be sending back my G73 again but I will insist them not to replace it with another HannStar LCD.

Does anyone here replaced their G73's LCD to another brand that is not a HannStar? How is it going then? Do you see any signs of getting PSOD even temporarily?

Do I need to replace my video card?

Changing resolution triggered the problem and that's for sure. But why? What the hell is wrong with the HannStar LCD?

Thanks

PSOD = Psychedelic Screen Of Death - Screen split into two, one half all white and the other half displays rainbow effect. http://img.youtube.com/vi/TlZo25aPWps/0.jpg

Company Representative

Default Re: Asus G73JH A1 PSOD Twice

I'm thinking that perhaps the vid card should be replaced as well.

Need help? Visit on irc.freenode.net IRC port 6667 #asus-rog

Quote Originally Posted by Chastity View Post
    I'm thinking that perhaps the vid card should be replaced as well.
    Why do you think so? My hunch is maybe because the video card have been operating within 98c to 104c when playing heavy games and might somehow have become faulty that it might be over volting the LCD.

I hate that even after a year Asus seems not to care to at least inform their customers what causes these damn PSODs. I'm starting to think that it might be a design flaw to their video card.

G73JH's design is based on a stealth bomber. I guess they were right it is indeed a ticking stealth bomber waiting to die after warranty.

Notebook Enthusiast

If you've been playing at those temps for 7 months, you'd be bound to burn out some transistors or something. I imagine you got a bad paste job on yours, so it should be a warranty issue.

Mine has been working well for over 6 months at pretty much the same temps as when I started using it. (below 60c when browsing web and such, maxes out at just about 85c if I really try to push it.

Company Representative

The PSOD iirc is caused by too high voltage levels being fed to the panel. If you have had 2 PSOD's, then either the mobo or vid card is feeding too much to the panel, and the screen, plus possibly one or both need to be replaced as well.

Quote Originally Posted by daevil1 View Post
    If you've been playing at those temps for 7 months, you'd be bound to burn out some transistors or something. I imagine you got a bad paste job on yours, so it should be a warranty issue.

Mine has been working well for over 6 months at pretty much the same temps as when I started using it. (below 60c when browsing web and such, maxes out at just about 85c if I really try to push it.
    What's your ambient temperature? Only 85c? I remember having that temp while playing heavy games when in battery mode or if the power options -> vid card is set to maximize battery life.

The PSOD iirc is caused by too high voltage levels being fed to the panel. If you have had 2 PSOD's, then either the mobo or vid card is feeding too much to the panel, and the screen, plus possibly one or both need to be replaced as well.
    I'm not sure if mobo is connected to the panel. I just think it is the vidcard that is connected to the panel.

Would you mind telling me what temperature you're getting running furmark while the power option -> vid card is set to maximum performance and not maximum battery life? And the ambient temperature as well

Shinobi of the wind

shes right. Normally, only solution to psod is to rma unfortunantly
    Owner of Win 7 - Asus G73jh-A1 - i7-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 - 8 gig ram - 1920 x 1080 res.
    My Bro's M17x R3 3D - i7-2720QM - GTX 460M - 8 gig ram - 1080p res @ 120mhz

Company Representative

Quote Originally Posted by frankie609 View Post
    I'm not sure if mobo is connected to the panel. I just think it is the vidcard that is connected to the panel.

Would you mind telling me what temperature you're getting running furmark while the power option -> vid card is set to maximum performance and not maximum battery life? And the ambient temperature as well
    The Video Card pops into the MXM port. The motherboard has a panel connection port. You can watch the G73 Disassemble Video to see the port.

Quote Originally Posted by Xellon View Post
    shes right. Normally, only solution to psod is to rma unfortunantly
    It happened to me twice. I RMA-ed it immediately the first time it happened. What good is the RMA if it's going to happen again and again until the warranty ends?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast