Quantcast OS (C:) or DATA (D:)

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default OS (C:) or DATA (D:)

I'm wondering what's the difference between them and how i move items from C to D since my (C is almost full, and (D is empty.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: OS (C:) or DATA (D:)

Quote Originally Posted by Ceadeus View Post
    I'm wondering what's the difference between them and how i move items from C to D since my (C is almost full, and (D is empty.
    Difference - C: has your OS on it and D has technically your "data" on it. You can install programs on D instead of C to remedy the space problem, move your my documents, desktop, etc to D drive. Or uninstall programs and reinstall them on D:

ASUS G73JH-A1 - i7 720QM - 8GB DDR3 RAM - 80GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD + 500GB Seagate Momentus HDD - 1920x1080 FHD Screen

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by frosty5689 View Post
    Difference - C: has your OS on it and D has technically your "data" on it. You can install programs on D instead of C to remedy the space problem, move your my documents, desktop, etc to D drive. Or uninstall programs and reinstall them on D:
    Any specific way to do that?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Ceadeus View Post
    Any specific way to do that?
    Move My documents folder to D: drive? There's Windows 7 optimization tools that do that for you (Windows 7 Manager by Yamisoft is one). Or you can simply right click My Documents folder - > Properties and change its location.

ASUS G73JH-A1 - i7 720QM - 8GB DDR3 RAM - 80GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD + 500GB Seagate Momentus HDD - 1920x1080 FHD Screen

Notebook Deity

My suggestion is to install this utility. It is small and free.
    JAM Software - Windows Freeware

With it, you can right click your C drive and choose "TreeSize" and it will begin parsing all files, folders, and sizes. You can browse through the tree it creates and see where all your space has gone. The key to moving things successfully is to find things that are using gobs of space but aren't truly tied to a location. Trying to move an installed program would be foolish. It will break a lot of things. Moving the "My Documents" folder is a great idea assuming that TreeSize tells you that it's taking up a bunch of space.

If the C and D drives are on the same disk, there is a pretty easy way to get rid of the D drive and then extend the C drive you use all the space. You can find the directions here: Jason S: How to easily merge two partitions (C and D drive) in Windows Vista .: The most Authoritative Technology Blog :.

There are several advanced ways to extend you C drive onto other partitions. You can use a junction. You can extend the partition through a directory. There are also some programs that will move an installed program to another drive letter and then move the registry settings that reference it to a new drive letter. All of these things are a little more complicated and NOT for the feint of heart.
    Current: MSI GT60 20D-026US i7 4700 - 1TB Samsung EVO mSATA

--Selling: MacBook Pro Retina 15" - i7 3820 - 768GB SSD - 16GB RAM
    --Sold: Alienware M17x R3 - i7 2670 - NVidia 580m - Blu-ray - 3D Display - 16GB Kingston HyperX - 512GB Crucial M4 SSD - Intel Centrino WiFi - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - Repaste MX4
    --G73JH-X1 i7 720 Radeon HD 5870m 500GB 7200RPM 17.3" 1920X1080 LED backlit LCD GPU Repasted with IC Diamond 7 Added Sony Optiarc BD-Rom/DVDRW, Second HD Caddy and Intel 6200N Wireless