Quantcast Best Wireless Card for G73

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    405
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Best Wireless Card for G73

    WHat is the best wireless card that can be used with a G73? I am looking for both speed and long range connectivity.

    I want a card that has long range connectivity or is there any type of device I can get to help me connect to connections that are a far distance away? I use my laptop alot fo work and some places I cant a good connection depending on where i am in the building. The wireless card thats with the G73 is decent, but my friends Dell can get way better conection than I can get being in the same area. Hhaha I just want to show him up really. What is the most powerful card out there or is there some sort of device to boost connections? for laptops, or that is compatible with this g73?

  2. #2
    Ceiling Cat Is Watching U
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Off-line
    Posts
    1,021
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Best Wireless Card for G73

    I think the consensus is the Intel 6200.

  3. #3
    Company Representative
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,859
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: Best Wireless Card for G73

    Well, you could get the Intel 6300 and run a third antennae wire (disassembly required)

  4. #4
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    572
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Best Wireless Card for G73

    I say 6200
    ASUS ROG G73JH-A2 and couldn't be happier (especially now that we have overclocking for 720qm's)
    Core i7 720qm@3.2GHz|ATI 5870 1GB DDR5|1920x1080 LED 17.3"|8GB DDR3 1333MHz|500GB 7200rpm + 128GB Indilinx SSD|Intel Wifi 6200|Windows 7 Professional x64

  5. #5
    Ceiling Cat Is Watching U
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Off-line
    Posts
    1,021
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Best Wireless Card for G73

    Quote Originally Posted by Chastity View Post
    Well, you could get the Intel 6300 and run a third antennae wire (disassembly required)
    I suppose the third wire could always stick out of a small 'mouse hole' out of the back?

  6. #6
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    860
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Best Wireless Card for G73

    Quote Originally Posted by kwantz View Post
    WHat is the best wireless card that can be used with a G73? I am looking for both speed and long range connectivity.

    I want a card that has long range connectivity or is there any type of device I can get to help me connect to connections that are a far distance away? I use my laptop alot fo work and some places I cant a good connection depending on where i am in the building. The wireless card thats with the G73 is decent, but my friends Dell can get way better conection than I can get being in the same area. Hhaha I just want to show him up really. What is the most powerful card out there or is there some sort of device to boost connections? for laptops, or that is compatible with this g73?
    Funny- I've got some older Dell Latitude D600/610's around the house and the G73 gets much better reception than they do and see networks they can't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalim View Post
    I suppose the third wire could always stick out of a small mouse hole out the back?
    Or you'd mount it internally along with the other ones along the LCD. Personally I'd just get the 6200. I'm debating getting it myself just to hit the 300mbps speeds since I'm stuck at 150mbps currently.

    G73JH-X1 - Intel M-25 160gb SSD w/ 500gb HD | Intel Centrino 6200 Wireless card | Sony BD-5730S 6x BD Blu-ray Writer
    Want to swap out the bezel on your optical drive?
    G73 Disassembly Guide

  7. #7
    Company Representative
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,859
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: Best Wireless Card for G73

    Would have been nice if the G73's EXT_ANT port was legit

  8. #8
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    860
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Best Wireless Card for G73

    Quote Originally Posted by Chastity View Post
    Would have been nice if the G73's EXT_ANT port was legit
    So, uhm... it's not? I haven't messed with it at all but I assumed that rubber stopper would come out and there'd be an antenna port there with threading.

    G73JH-X1 - Intel M-25 160gb SSD w/ 500gb HD | Intel Centrino 6200 Wireless card | Sony BD-5730S 6x BD Blu-ray Writer
    Want to swap out the bezel on your optical drive?
    G73 Disassembly Guide

  9. #9
    Company Representative
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,859
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: Best Wireless Card for G73

    It's rubberstopped and will not come off easily.

  10. #10
    NBR Random Reviewer
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8,734
    Rep Power
    59

    Default Re: Best Wireless Card for G73

    If you're daring enough to disassemble your laptop to install an extra antenna around the main chassis and around the screen bezel, the Intel 6300 would be the top choice. If not, stick with the 6200.
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1