Quantcast G73JH-A1 Blu-ray Player requires an update?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default G73JH-A1 Blu-ray Player requires an update?

I have installed the "WinDVD BD for ASUS" Blu-ray player, but can't play any BD movies. Whenever I place a Blu-ray Disc into the drive, I get a big red window (inside WinDVD BD for ASUS) that comes up and says "WARNING Your Blu-ray Player requires an update in order to play this disc. Please visit your Blu-ray Player manufacturer's website and follow their instructions to update your Blu-ray Player."

The drive is set for Region 1, and plays DVD's just fine. According to the device manager it is a "MATA BD-CMB UJ141AS" unit. I did a google search for drivers and / or firmware updates, with no luck. I couln't find any info on this drive (other than it is made by Panasonic) let alone any instructions or updates.

This is all after I installed the SSD, did a clean OS install, and "Anytime" upgraded to Windows 7 Professional x64. I only installed the drivers that were suggested by Kalim here: Complete Walk-through For Doing A Clean Windows 7 Install

Do I need to install something else, not ckecked off by Kalim's list, in order to get the Blu-ray player to work?

The original "factory" install had a "Cyberlink" player that played a Blu-ray that I tried out when I first got the notebook. I did not have to install the WinDVD player from the ASUS site. I can't seem to find this player anywhere on the ASUS Driver & Utilities DVD, or the ASUS site.

If it's of any consequence, the Blu-ray discs that I tried are "UP", "X-Men Origins Wolverine", and "Avatar".

Ceiling Cat Is Watching U

Default Re: G73JH-A1 Blu-ray Player requires an update?

Hmm, I don't see anything in the guide that would have any impact on playing Blu-ray discs on your G73. When you say you installed the "WinDVD BD for ASUS" Blu-ray player, is that the one linked from the guide? If not, you could try that one.

I don't have much experience with Blu-ray drives on a Windows platform. I purposely chose the G73JH-X1 because it doesn't have a Blu-ray player. For Blu-ray, I use a PS3.

I thought when WinDVD needed something, it simply phoned home to Corel and downloaded it. Could the application be blocked by your Firewall?

The drive is a Panasonic/Matshi ta (<-- forum censored the name, LOL) and I too couldn't find any firmware, not even the current version.

Notebook Enthusiast

Did you update the AACS key after you installed WinDVD BD for ASUS?
    Try this:
    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...5X832&trkid=CJ

Notebook Guru

I just installed the WINDVD8 from Asus site and it asked to update itself once installed.

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

I played EARTH blu-ray w/o a hiccup.
    G73-A2|i7-720QM|ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 (1GB GDDR5)|8GB 1333MHz DDR3|80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD|500GB Seagate 7200rpm 16MB|17.3-Inch Full HD LED Display|Sony BD-5730S|Win7 64-bit

Notebook Retailer

All you have to do is make sure you are connected to the internet and:
    - Right click WinDVD icon on the desktop
    - Run as Administrator and it'll update the AACS key.

You only have to do this once.

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, this is the WinDVD for ASUS version that I downloaded from the ASUS site. Yes, I right clicked on the shortcut and ran it as administrator to update the AACS key. It went to the Corel site, I logged in, and it updated successfully. Yes, I tried to temporarily disable the firewall and (Avast) antivirus. That didn't work either.

Just for giggles and grins, I tried all the discs from my entire BD collection, all (6) of them. These were the results:

District 9 - Plays fine
    UP - Plays fine (I put in the wrong disc when I stated it did not play earlier)

X-Men Origins Wolverine - Warning message
    Something, Something, Darkside - Warning message
    Ice Age, Dawn of the Dinosaurs - Warning message

Now I'm really confused. Seems that it can play some BD's, but not others. Could this be some sort of codec issue? Does the WinDVD player need to be updated instead of the BD drive itself?

Can anyone successfully play any of the BD's (on their machine) listed here that I can not play (on my machine)? Just curious.

Ceiling Cat Is Watching U

Keep in mind that, although the link I included in the guide for WinDVD comes from ASUS, it is not the same version you will find when you navigate the ASUS website. The guide version is newer.

I say this for clarification and not because I think the guide version would fix the issue you are having.

Notebook Guru

I just tried to play Avatar & X-Men Origins on my G73 and couldn't. I did go to Corel website and found this.

http://corel.custhelp.com/app/answer...ag%3D%3D/sno/0
    G73-A2|i7-720QM|ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 (1GB GDDR5)|8GB 1333MHz DDR3|80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD|500GB Seagate 7200rpm 16MB|17.3-Inch Full HD LED Display|Sony BD-5730S|Win7 64-bit

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gruvin2 View Post
    I just tried to play Avatar & X-Men Origins on my G73 and couldn't. I did go to Corel website and found this.

http://corel.custhelp.com/app/answer...ag%3D%3D/sno/0
    OK, so at least I know it's not just me. I guess that the BD drive itself is working properly. It just seems to be a player issue.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Kalim View Post
    Keep in mind that, although the link I included in the guide for WinDVD comes from ASUS, it is not the same version you will find when you navigate the ASUS website. The guide version is newer.

I say this for clarification and not because I think the guide version would fix the issue you are having.
    Kalim, could you please give me the link to this "newer" guide version. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast