Quantcast ASUS G51 Cooling mod

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default ASUS G51 Cooling mod

My primary motivations were curiosity and I hate fake hood scoops and such. I really thought that big round thing on the bottom of the G51 was an air intake with a permeable covering.

UPDATE2 8/25/09:

I strongly recommend you not mod the stock backplate like I (impulsively) did. Instead, order this: http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp...4675&catid=606

For 8 bucks, you can mod this backplate and keep your stock one...stock. It might be hard to get warranty service with a big hole in your notebook.

UPDATE1 8/25/09:

IT WORKS. These temps were all obtained with me holding the notebook on my lap and ensuring the intake was unobstructed. Ambient temp is 72F in my house. It is CRITICAL that the vent have a reasonable source of cool, fresh air (like sitting on my lap). If it's sucking in the dead, hot air that exists directly under the laptop, you may not get the max effect. Further testing to see the effect on a desk with the rear propped up is to come soon. I suspect the temp drop will NOT be as great as what we're seeing here. BUT, I also think that combining this mod with a good laptop cooler will lead to GREATER decreases than this.

Full 3Dmark run after a clean boot:
    Before - max 94c (P7350, all stock clocks)
    After - max (are you ready?) 81c (X9100@3.4Ghz, 600-800-1500)
    RESULT = 13c decrease

Furmark run #2:
    1366x768 8x AA
    Before: max 97c and climbing (P7350 and GTX260m at stock clocks)
    After: Max 90c, then falls to equilibrium of 84c (X9100@3.4Ghz, GTX260m@600-800-1500)
    RESULT = also a 13c decrease

ASUS, you can officially kiss my as*. They must have made an "engineering" decision that, as long as the GPU stayed below 108c (the throttle speed), the cooling system was "good enough".

Idiots.
    Last edited by kondor999; 26th August 2009 at 12:40 AM.
    Home: Level 10GT | i7-2600k@5ghz | GTX670 | 16gb | A lot of drives.
    Road: Clevo W230ST | i7-4700MQ | GTX 765m | 8gb | 128gb mSATA Plextor M5 + 750gb hdd | Questionable battery | Amazing notebook overall.
    Retired: Acer 4820TG | i5-460m | AMD 5650@700mhz | 128gb Agility 2 + 750gb HDD | 9-cell battery | Best laptop I ever owned (until the W230ST).

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: ASUS G51 Cooling mod

Looking very nice.

And if it doesn't help, oh well. It can't hurt either, right?

Banned

I was the first of the G50 and G51 owners to do thislmfao. I did it about 4 months ago with my G50 cover. I drilled the hole about 3 inches in diameter and used window netting as a cover to keep out some dust and physical contact.

Obviously you did a MUCH better job. Plus 10 broman it looks really nice.

Unfortunately it did take 3 months for me to realize that with this mod you are getting fresh air into the fan but....the cpu and gpu are no longer having the surface heat pulled away, thus making not much of a difference unless you have a custom cooler blowing air into the fan and the gpu vent like I did.

The smartest thing to actually do would be to carefully and precisely drill out a rectangle shaped hole above the gpu and use a metal mesh like material to cover it, also doing the same above the ram and the hardrive. That way the surface heat is pulled away and more air is easily pulled by the fan from remote locations.

Notebook Consultant

Thanks for your kind remarks. I agree with you about increasing passive cooling around the GPU. But it does already have vents above that area - I wonder if it would do any good? Is that your WRX btw? I loved mine but lost it in the divorce (which is cool - very safe car for my ex).

I'm starting to think that the cooling system for the GPU just can't transport enough heat to the fan in order to ultimately reject it. That's maybe why increasing the fan's efficiency (via mods such as this) doesn't do much.
    Last edited by kondor999; 25th August 2009 at 06:08 AM.
    Road: Clevo W230ST | i7-4700MQ | GTX 765m | 8gb | 128gb mSATA Plextor M5 + 750gb hdd | Questionable battery | Amazing notebook overall.
    Retired: Acer 4820TG | i5-460m | AMD 5650@700mhz | 128gb Agility 2 + 750gb HDD | 9-cell battery | Best laptop I ever owned (until the W230ST).

Banned

lol dude I didn't mean to come off as a , I was just saying what I noticed with my laptops lmao. The gpu is cooled but it still radiates a bit of heat which the fan also sucked from the surface of it. If its on a cooler, you see a big difference though, flat on a desk the temps rise up even more.

Yea it's my rex, sorry about yours dude what year was it? Any mods?
    Mines a cobb stage 2 remap. No major engine work. Has a kevlar clutch, turboxs uppipe, hks down pipe, hks carbon ti exhaust, k&n typhoon intake and a stock turbo pushing out a good 21lbs steady. It's a great car, only regret I have is buying an 02. The tranny is already rebuilt twice O_o.

Notebook Enthusiast

this mod lowered the temperatures?

how much?

thx

Notebook Consultant

I will post data as soon as I can. I want to make sure it's good data before people start cutting open their cases. Thus far (subjectively), I don't believe it's done much. But it may magnify the effect of a laptop cooler
    (since that would provide a better source of cool air).

Quote Originally Posted by lucretio View Post
    this mod lowered the temperatures?

how much?

thx

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by kondor999 View Post
    I will post data as soon as I can. I want to make sure it's good data before people start cutting open their cases. Thus far (subjectively), I don't believe it's done much. But it may magnify the effect of a laptop cooler
    Please do. Also is that just a free air solution or did you install a fan to force air in/out?

Also depending on the results or if people would like to do it themselves they can always order a replacement bottom to "mod" while leaving the original alone. This way if they mess up or dont like their individual results they are not stuck with it. Not to mention the assembly is cheap i.e sub $8 (it looks like this is interchangable with the G51)
    http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp...4675&catid=606

I plan on picking one up to mod but more through an increase in free air slits near the CPU and GPU.

Notebook Prophet

So is anyone going to put spinners on their G51?

Notebook Enthusiast

Great man...i was thinking the same way too...just cutting the "skin" maybe nothing happens, but when combined with a notebook external cooler this mod could start taking effect

my gtx260m is operating in 60c iddle and 85c full (average)

i'm waiting for your results...

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kondor999 View Post

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast