Quantcast ASUS G71GX BIOS 1201 Update

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default ASUS G71GX BIOS 1201 Update

To all who need it or are interested, BIOS 1201 for the ASUS G71GX is now available (as of this post, ASUS hasn't put an official link out, but I found the URL to it). The BIOS file is on the official ASUS download server so I assume it is the official release. I take no responsibility for what happens using their file.

To download it, it is available at:
    http://dlsvr.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G7...-ASUS-1201.zip

Please see Edit 2 and Edit 3 for update instructions.
    ASUS WinFlash is available at:
    http://dlsvr.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Ap..._VT_080722.zip

To update your BIOS, please visit this website for details:
    http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...Language=en-us

Please update to the this BIOS (ASUS and several users claim it fixes the throttling issue). Also, anyone who is willing, please write up a detailed review of the notebook after you have updated the BIOS. Thanks!

Edit 1: I accidently put the wrong link to the BIOS update, it has now been corrected. Please make sure the file you downloaded is G71GX-ASUS-1201.zip or else it is not the correct update. I appologize for the mistake I made.

Edit 2: It appears that WinFlash doesn't work, you need to use EZ Flash from a flash drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Make sure you run the bios off of a Jump drive IE USB stick

Also use EZ flash to do so , reboot and hit i think its F3 cant remember now but you will see the message pop up on what key to hit .

If your not seeing the option its because you have the Asus logo that pops up and covers up the bios screen upon boot so disable that in the bios options you will see it in there.

That bootblock error is because your running it straight from the harddrive

Hope this helps .
    Edit 3: Appears that the WinFlash method does indeed work, but you need to have the BIOS on a flash drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob1182006 View Post
    I just updated using WinFlash, selected the rom from USB drive and it restarted to a program that did the BIOS flash and then loaded OS. Going to get 3dmark06 to test.
    Last edited by Matrinix; 3rd July 2009 at 09:32 PM.
    Notebook: Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch (Early 2011)
    15.4" WXGA LED | Core i7-2720QM 2.2GHz | Radeon HD 6750M 1GB | 4GB DDR3 | 750GB HDD

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: ASUS G71GX BIOS 1201 Update

I downloaded the update, started WinFlash and flashed. When it restarted, it came up with an error message "error occurred while reading the file"

I have the G71GX-RX05, anyone else having the same problem. Thanks for the help guys.
    Vigor Gaming Force Recon AXE
    &
    Asus G71GX-RX05

Notebook Enthusiast

can someone please try running crysis for about an hour. if this is fixed im popping over to best buy today

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriumTrigger View Post
    I downloaded the update, started WinFlash and flashed. When it restarted, it came up with an error message "error occurred while reading the file"

I have the G71GX-RX05, anyone else having the same problem. Thanks for the help guys.
    Where exactly is it saying "error occured while reading the file"? Did you select the "Load Optimal Defaults" option in the BIOS menu after flashing?
    15.4" WXGA LED | Core i7-2720QM 2.2GHz | Radeon HD 6750M 1GB | 4GB DDR3 | 750GB HDD

Notebook Enthusiast

lol, I have the entire box set of crysis installed so that once I get it fixed I can put it through the paces. The only problem is that WinFlash wont read the ROM properly...
    &
    Asus G71GX-RX05

Notebook Consultant

lol, I have the entire box set of crysis installed so that once I get it fixed I can put it through the paces. The only problem is that WinFlash wont read the ROM properly...
    You might want to try using the DOS method or it is possible that the BIOS file on the ASUS download server isn't ready (but I don't know why it would be on there if it wasn't).

Notebook Enthusiast

When i select "Flash", it restarts the computer and enters the "MS-DOS" style (sorry, lack of a better word, my terminology is not up to par) and immediately gives me the error message. I then pressed the spacebar and the computer booted up the OS

EDIT: is the EZ Flash option in the setup the "Dos version" and could I use that to install the new BIOS. I just worry about bricking the computer. I def dont wanna do that to a new machine. NEWB ALERT
    Last edited by DeliriumTrigger; 3rd July 2009 at 04:35 PM.
    &
    Asus G71GX-RX05

When i select "Flash", it restarts the computer and enters the "MS-DOS" style (sorry, lack of a better word, my terminology is not up to par) and immediately gives me the error message. I then pressed the spacebar and the computer booted up the OS

EDIT: is the EZ Flash option in the setup the "Dos version" and could I use that to install the new BIOS. I just worry about bricking the computer. I def dont wanna do that to a new machine. NEWB ALERT
    Same here...basically the Winflash utility doesnt flash this ROM file while in Vista...it asks you to hit FLASH and when you do it says it will reboot and flash the BIOS. But...when the Lappy reboots it starts the DOS level FLASH routine and says "Error reading the file"

Notebook Deity

wow, they can't even do a bios right
    Asus G71GX-RX05
    Processor= P8700 2.53GHz Ram= 6 gig DDr2 800 Hard Drive500GB SATA2 Video Card=GTX 260M

Hey, i think winflash version in the link is not working in win vista! Check the screenshot in the third link it says it goes until winxp!! Maybe bios file its fine just need to find another software to update the bios!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast