Quantcast When is the perfect time to buy a Macbook? - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBR Reviewer

Default Re: When is the perfect time to buy a Macbook?

You've keyed on one of the common differences I've seen between Mac users and Windows users.

Window's users are frequently concerned with the latest, greatest, fastest, most feature rich hardware and seem to stay on a never ending upgrade path between hardware and software (new software slower, need faster hardware).

Mac users tend to be more "Does it do what I need it to do now and what I think I want to do in the near future". The software and hardware upgrade cycles are much slower and Macs tend to age better as a result.

So as everyone else says - buy it now!

And maybe Apple is much better than a lot of PC manufacturers, but being from PC land, I would never buy a "fresh out" product, I'd wait for issues to surface and if the waters looked good, then dive in. Any comments from all you long time Mac users out there?

Notebook Evangelist

I would say generally, mac is much better with newly released product regarding "issues", than any PC. Surely that's because they design both hardware and software. The only exception was perhaps coreDuo introduction, which wasn't bad, but certainly worse than apple had dealt with in some time. I've used both mac and pc together for about 6 years. I don't fore see any problems with the next transition and wouldn't hesitate to buy it straight from the gate. Still, the current generation is awesome, so my only real reservation is "do i need it now?" But macs are software supported for so long it's hardly a worry of life-span and viability.
    "candied apple" MacBook Pro, 2.33 C2D / AthlonXP 2200+/ Imac 20" C2D/ Mac Ti-PBook G4-667/ "blueberry" ibook "clam shell" G3 300mhz, 100% original

Notebook Evangelist

If you're looking for refurbs, UK has a C2D MB on their refurb page but no C2D on the US page. There was a few this morning but sold out FAST. no C2Ds though...
    13" Macbook Pro P8400 | 4GB | 320GB
    24" iMac T7700 | 2GB | 320GB
    Hackintosh X4 635 | 8GB | 2TB
    iPhone 16GB 4 | 4.1 | Devil Incarnate AT&T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12