Quantcast Disable startup programs in Lion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mmp
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Disable startup programs in Lion

I'm relatively new to Macs and just upgraded to Lion. I would like to disable several programs that automatically load when I login...these include LibreOffice, Adobe, .... I already checked each of these programs in the Dock and the option to have them start at login is NOT checked. I also checked in System preferences > Users & Groups but none of the programs are listed under Login Items. I'm out of ideas at this point and a google search did turn up much info. that I can decipher. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    ThinkPad T61p 15.4 WSXGA+ | Core 2 Duo 7300 | 2GB RAM | 100GB 7200rpm | NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M | ThinkPad 11a/b/g | 9 cell

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Disable startup programs in Lion

I too am new to macs and don't know how to do this, but I was curious to see what your opinion is about Lion should I upgrade to it for $30? I haven't seen the need for it meaning i don't think I'd be utilizing any of those benefits. I'm starting to think that the $30 would be better spent on upgrading to 8gb of ram instead of my current 4.
    2012 Macbook Pro 15" 2.3ghz 650m, Retina, 8gig ram, 256 gig SSD
    H2O Desktop, i5 750, 780 GTX , 27" LCD, 16gb DDR3 Corsair, Samsung SSD 512gb
    2013 Macbook Pro 15" 3.8 Ghz 750m 2gb, Retina, 16gb ram, 512 gig SSD
    Dell XPS 9530 3.2 Ghz 750m 2gb, QHD, 16gig ram, 512 mSata SSD, 91whr Batt

Without ME its just AWESO

make sure you close the programs when you shut down, or Lion will restart them

Closing the window does NOT usually close the actual program on OSX, you have to actually select to quit it. I do not like how Lion handles things by default. I go in system preferences and turn on the indicator on the dock so you can see when programs are really running, and then right click and quit them easily.

You can also look under your User Account in System Preferences for Startup Items.
    Wineskin 2.6 is available!. Turn Windows apps into Mac apps for free!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by darkloki View Post
    I too am new to macs and don't know how to do this, but I was curious to see what your opinion is about Lion should I upgrade to it for $30? I haven't seen the need for it meaning i don't think I'd be utilizing any of those benefits. I'm starting to think that the $30 would be better spent on upgrading to 8gb of ram instead of my current 4.
    I agree. Lion is great, but unless you qualify for the free-upgrade, that is unless you have recently bought a mac that will let you upgrade for free, there is no reason why you should spend $30 for Lion. A lot has been changed in Lion, but a lot of the changes are also aimed at touch-screen capabilities. The UI remains largely unchanged, so the question of enhanced UI experience is out. Add to that the fact that Snow Leopard is one of the best versions of OS X, and the coming of Lion doesn't change that fact a bit. On the other hand, you can always do with a bit more RAM. It will give your computer that extra boost, and multi-functioning will be that much smoother. It's always a good investment, unless you already have 8 gigs... in which case any more would be overkill.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by leopardhunter7 View Post
    I agree. Lion is great, but unless you qualify for the free-upgrade, that is unless you have recently bought a mac that will let you upgrade for free, there is no reason why you should spend $30 for Lion. A lot has been changed in Lion, but a lot of the changes are also aimed at touch-screen capabilities. The UI remains largely unchanged, so the question of enhanced UI experience is out. Add to that the fact that Snow Leopard is one of the best versions of OS X, and the coming of Lion doesn't change that fact a bit. On the other hand, you can always do with a bit more RAM. It will give your computer that extra boost, and multi-functioning will be that much smoother. It's always a good investment, unless you already have 8 gigs... in which case any more would be overkill.
    And when Windows 8 arrives and the asking price is say $199 people will gladly pay it just to get the one and only major feature in it (Metro) that many will just end up turning off out of frustration, but you can't see any value in paying only $30 for Mac OS X Lion? Apple has addressed a lot of concerns that many of their customer base (and Windows switchers) have asked for such as Cut N Paste, Full Screen apps, easier method for keeping the Dock from getting cluttered and many small features that make it worth much more than $30. The new Mail alone is worth the $30 and for me (since I use it for business) Image Capture got a nice upgrade for scanners requiring no additional scanning software unlike Snow Leopard's Image Capture which is close to worthless.
    That's fine if you don't care for Lion or see any value but to tell people it's only worth it if you can get it for free is just false.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by mmp View Post
    I'm relatively new to Macs and just upgraded to Lion. I would like to disable several programs that automatically load when I login...these include LibreOffice, Adobe, .... I already checked each of these programs in the Dock and the option to have them start at login is NOT checked. I also checked in System preferences > Users & Groups but none of the programs are listed under Login Items. I'm out of ideas at this point and a google search did turn up much info. that I can decipher. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Did you buy AppleCare? If yes, contact Apple support. If not, you have 90 days of complimentary support from Apple after the date you buy your Mac. Contact Apple and they will help you if you're still within that time frame. Otherwise, maybe try reinstalling the programs? And, when you shut down there's an option to reopen windows, maybe you're accidentally leaving that checked...

MacBook Pro 15 Late 2011 | Core i7 2760QM 2.4 Ghz | ATI Radeon HD6770M 1 GB GDDR5 | 750 GB 7200 RPM SATA| 8 GB 1333 Mhz RAM | 1680x1050 Hi-Res Glossy Display

iPad 2 64 GB Wi-Fi + 3G Black

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by leopardhunter7 View Post
    A lot has been changed in Lion, but a lot of the changes are also aimed at touch-screen capabilities.
    Wait, are you saying there are touch-screen Macs?

MacBook Pro 15 Late 2011 | Core i7 2760QM 2.4 Ghz | ATI Radeon HD6770M 1 GB GDDR5 | 750 GB 7200 RPM SATA| 8 GB 1333 Mhz RAM | 1680x1050 Hi-Res Glossy Display

iPad 2 64 GB Wi-Fi + 3G Black

The guy from The Notebook

Quote Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
    And when Windows 8 arrives and the asking price is say $199 people will gladly pay it just to get the one and only major feature in it (Metro) that many will just end up turning off out of frustration, but you can't see any value in paying only $30 for Mac OS X Lion?
    Saying that's it's a better deal than a bad deal isn't a good enough justification, but ultimately I agree that Lion is easily worth $30.

Notebook Deity

Alright Alright Alright I asked Santa for Lion for Christmas and was told that he'll add it to my Aps, such a nice and swell guy.
    2012 Macbook Pro 15" 2.3ghz 650m, Retina, 8gig ram, 256 gig SSD
    H2O Desktop, i5 750, 780 GTX , 27" LCD, 16gb DDR3 Corsair, Samsung SSD 512gb
    2013 Macbook Pro 15" 3.8 Ghz 750m 2gb, Retina, 16gb ram, 512 gig SSD
    Dell XPS 9530 3.2 Ghz 750m 2gb, QHD, 16gig ram, 512 mSata SSD, 91whr Batt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
    And when Windows 8 arrives and the asking price is say $199 people will gladly pay it just to get the one and only major feature in it (Metro) that many will just end up turning off out of frustration, but you can't see any value in paying only $30 for Mac OS X Lion? Apple has addressed a lot of concerns that many of their customer base (and Windows switchers) have asked for such as Cut N Paste, Full Screen apps, easier method for keeping the Dock from getting cluttered and many small features that make it worth much more than $30. The new Mail alone is worth the $30 and for me (since I use it for business) Image Capture got a nice upgrade for scanners requiring no additional scanning software unlike Snow Leopard's Image Capture which is close to worthless.
    That's fine if you don't care for Lion or see any value but to tell people it's only worth it if you can get it for free is just false.
    Dude! Quite being so touchy about all things Apple ! I am an Apple user myself, and will agree wholeheartedly with anyone claiming that overall OS X is a much better built end-product compared to Windows. And no, I won't pay $199 for Windows 8... I won't even get it. Heck, I don't even use bootcamp or any VM. But to claim that Windows 8 only adds metro and nothing else, is like being the other side of the mac-sucks coin! The dock could be kept clean in SL too... in case you haven't figured it out. And the new Mail is good, but no way in hell it's worth $30. I have used it, I loved it... but it is NOT a paradigm shift. Good thing it's packed in with Lion... coz I wouldn't pay a buck extra for it. That being said... Yes, Lion is a great OS! But nothing that should make the people who are still on SL weep tears of blood. Let's stop acting like Apple exists to make people's wishes come true. They make amazing products, true. But anyone who claims that Apple leads the market in listening to customer opinions, is living in a fool's paradise. I love Apple products, or at least most of them (iPHONE 4S comes to mind as an exception. I returned it to get the Galaxy Note . Even the SII was better in my opinion), but I know that Apple is faaaaaar from perfect. Period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast