Quantcast OS X won't boot! (stuck on loading screen!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Default OS X won't boot! (stuck on loading screen!)

Okay so, my OS don't wanna boot now and i'm going to explain the problems and everything i could remember.

My operating system is 10.6.8 latest patch. My battery suddenly died (27%) when i'm working on a document, and 2nd time i was organizing my file. After the last sudden shutdown, I tried to boot my mac, it displays the normal grey screen first and a bootup chime. Then the apple logo come to the screen, but shortly after there's this little bar that's very weird, it doesn't load, or make any kind of animation. Then 60 second after the normal boot screen w/ loading circle appeared. For 3 minutes (yeah it take a long time).

Now it wouldn't boot AT ALL, it's stuck on the loading bar thing. So if anybody can help it would be appreciated

If anybody's wondering my 120GB windows partition still boots normally. I am on a momentus XT 500GB (hybrid) and on SD25 as reccomended.

It's a 2008 metal unibody macbook w/ 2GHz c2d (P7350), and 8GB Corsair RAM (DDR3)

Well no, I'm still here..

Default Re: OS X won't boot! (stuck on loading screen!)

Try starting up in Safe Boot/Safe Mode (link describing this here and here) by pressing the Shift key from the tone until the progress indicator shows up.

Sometimes this can solve bootup issues when you're stuck on the rotating B&W pinwheel or other. When the system finishes boot go ahead and shut down, and then when you restart everything will work normally. I've had this happen.
    Current notebook: 2013 MacBook Air 13" (Haswell) | Core i7 1.7GHz | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD
    My youngest daughter's now - may it serve her needs well...
    MacBook Aluminum (late '08) | 13.3 WXGA | P8600 (2.4Ghz) | 4GB DDR3-1066 RAM |
    Backlit KB | 640GB Samsung M8 HDD

Notebook Consultant

PRAM reset
    Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
    or hold option while booting and select OSX partition

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSkies View Post
    Try starting up in Safe Boot/Safe Mode (link describing this here and here) by pressing the Shift key from the tone until the progress indicator shows up.

Sometimes this can solve bootup issues when you're stuck on the rotating B&W pinwheel or other. When the system finishes boot go ahead and shut down, and then when you restart everything will work normally. I've had this happen.
    i'll try that once the charger fixes itself (won't charge or power the computer)

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

safe boot, SMC reset and PRAM reset didn't work

i even tried fsck and disk utility on the boot disc D:

wat do now?

Notebook Virtuoso

Sounds like a failing hard drive.

Notebook Enthusiast

try boot with your dvd and run disk utility. Check if it detects your hard drive.

Notebook Consultant

try to reinstall osx if all else fails

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Ok, i'm booting on mac os lion from a 160gb 5400rpm and i can mount my 10.6.8 on disk utility and back up my documents.

thank god

Notebook Evangelist

Yes, keeping frequent backup images and making a cloned drive ( a 500GB 7200rpm 2.5" hitachi is only about $50 - $70) is an easy way to determine if it is a HDD problem. Swap in the cloned drive and if it works then the problem was likely a HDD issue. There is a newer firmware SD26 for your seagate hybrid but you'll want to do some research on that if you've not done so already, SD26 may introduce other problems.

The seagate hybrid drive is fast, and when it is working I hear it is wonderful. But I've also heard it is not the most reliable in Macs. Some Mac owners have no issues ever with the seagate hybrid while others do (tons of negative blogs from Mac users).
    Last edited by ygohome; 6th October 2011 at 11:29 AM.
    2010 DELL M6500 i7-920xm - 2x256 GB Samsung SSD - 16GB RAM
    2010 DELL M6500 i7-740qm - 250GB single platter HDD - 8GB RAM
    2009 MBP17 - 2.93GHz T9800 - Samsung 830 512GB SSD - Hitachi 500GB HDD in optibay - 8GB RAM
    2008 MBP15 - 2.4GHz - Hitachi 500GB HDD - 8GB RAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast