Quantcast Do I need to buy 8GB Memory? - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Do I need to buy 8GB Memory?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-R View Post
    As a normal users + some games. I would stick for 4GB.

Reason why I now have 8GB ram laptop xD... My photoshop ate 4GB of my ram already for editing a 12,000 x 9000 resolution at 300 DPI... 2gb PSD file...

And that's when you need 8gb+ ram. Otherwise to the OP, just stick for 4GB and save your money until you really need 8GB then by the time you get them it will be around $300 cheap for 4GB x2 stick DDR3.
    eeeeh.

your photoshop would do better with 4GB of system ram and by moving the scratch pad off of the drive Photoshop is stored on. you can get even faster by putting $ towards a good SSD.

of course, the scratch pad tip only works if your system supports dual or tri-HDDs. no Mac laptops do. several PC laptops do.
    17" Apple MacBook Pro | i7 2720m | 160GB SSD + 750GB | 16GB | HD 6750M 1GB
    Dell 435MT | i7 920 | 10GB RAM | 7.64TB HDDs | HD 6970 | Win7+SL
    HP Elitebook 2710p Tablet PC | 1.8GHz C2D | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD | X3100
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB | Apple iPad 64GB (Gen 3)
    Stop random laptop wakeup | 5K500.B bench data | How to Disable PowerMiser
    Disable Vaio beep when pressing volume or special keys

Master of Notebookery

4GB tend to be enough for most folks. Something else would likely bottleneck before your RAM did anyway. I'm a huge multitasker and I've never hit the 4GB mark (and I do use RAM heavy programs, like photoshop and dreamweaver).
    Alienware M15x (Space Black) | Intel Core i7 620M | 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM | 1GB NVIDIA 260M | 1600x900 display | 500GB 7200rpm HDD | Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard | Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse | Logitech G35 Headset

NBR Prisoner

If you are going to be running VM then i would suggest 6gigs. 4gbs is JUST ABOUT ENOUGH for me so if you wanted to be on the safe side then getting 6 gigs would be good.
    Macbook Pro 2.2 Core i7, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6750, Hi Res Anti Glare, Crucial M4 256GB + 750GB Optibay

Notebook Evangelist

If snappy performance is what you are looking for then 6gb and a SSD are king. If I had to choose between the 6GB and the SSD I'd choose a SSD.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I guess I am going to go with the 15' (70% chance) over the 13' and just going with 4GB of memory. I guess I probably wont go overboard on multiple processes at once anyways. The reason I came to the conclusion of buying 8GB of memory was after viewing this website (http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2354) for the Photoshop speed test.

I want an SSD as well, but I will probably get an Intel 160GB once the price drops down to around $200 and will just replace my optical drive in the MAC with it.

Also just curious, can someone give me a list of examples for which 8GB memory would be necessary or beneficial because I always thought virtual machines was the case almost all the time?

The guy from The Notebook

4 GB is plenty for running OS X and windows alongside it.

Unfortunately, there are many other factors involved with system performance, and, especially when running two operating systems, "amount of system memory" is an issue, but just the campground by the base of a mountain of issues.

Don't expect super fast performance in your virtual machine and OS X running at the same time regardless of the laptop components you buy.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by reducky4me@yahoo.com View Post
    Also just curious, can someone give me a list of examples for which 8GB memory would be necessary or beneficial because I always thought virtual machines was the case almost all the time?
    Not many applications really, the only thing that comes to mind is serious photo editing and even then I'm talking formats like RAW.

The guy from The Notebook

Quote Originally Posted by akin_t View Post
    Not many applications really, the only thing that comes to mind is serious photo editing and even then I'm talking formats like RAW.
    meh. even big raw files are only like twice as big as jpeg files.

8GB could be useful for certain science and computational mathematics applications.

not necessary for gamers or normal users, or even virtual machine users, unless you intend to run multiple virtual machines (like 4 vm's)

but if you are running 4 vm's, you are going to have serious performance issues anyway, because you are splitting your actual computational resources 5 ways.

having enough memory is like having a big enough house to fit the members of your family comfortably. without a sufficiently large house, the family dynamic will break down. you can still get by, but you will have to make serious compromises. once you have a sufficiently large house, getting additional rooms and space doesn't help anymore. and having sufficient house space doesn't mean that the family dynamic is good or bad, there are a whole set of other things to consider.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123