Quantcast Do I need to buy 8GB Memory? - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Do I need to buy 8GB Memory?

I guess my question is why are you buying a MBP? Is it for the physical build quality of the laptop itself?

All the applications you listed can be run on Windows 7. Moreover, it seems you're really looking for some serious multitasking performance, there are PCs that are more powerful than any thing Apple is offering right now.

I'm in the same boat as you, I really like the build of the MBP; however, I don't need OSX. All I want to do is have my MS Word, email (Mail client is a nice touch, I really liked it on the iPod touch), MATLAB, and streaming and playing HD content flawlessly.

I actually am waiting for the Core i5-540m (heat dissipation on the i7-620m worries me) and I will be probably getting the smallest screen size MacBook Pro that has it. Also I do like OS X, but I also know that I cannot live without Windows. I believe that a best of both worlds experience would benefit me more than just buying a high end PC for which I can say "been there, done that." I am just wondering if getting 8GB would be a complete waste altogether or relatively beneficial when simultaneously processing multiple applications based off the ones I listed?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by akin_t View Post
    I guess my question is why are you buying a MBP? Is it for the physical build quality of the laptop itself?

All the applications you listed can be run on Windows 7. Moreover, it seems you're really looking for some serious multitasking performance, there are PCs that are more powerful than any thing Apple is offering right now.

I'm in the same boat as you, I really like the build of the MBP; however, I don't need OSX. All I want to do is have my MS Word, email (Mail client is a nice touch, I really liked it on the iPod touch), MATLAB, and streaming and playing HD content flawlessly.
    Because he wants a Mac. Precieved quality by the consumer is more important than actual quality. "Ignorance is bliss:" yes he could get a much faster and stronger PC, but that doesn't matter if he buys a Mac and thinks its faster. For example, you like the build quality of the macbooks, even though the unibody design is weaker than most comparable PC's. However rarely would the strength of the laptop come into play, meaning the MacBook would be a better choice for you because you believe it is stronger. For the op's needs both a MacBook and a mobile workstation PC are quite fast enouph. Since the speed of the PC would rarely be needed, he would be happier with a Mac, because he would think it was faster.

I bought a MacBook because of its supperior batterylife at the time. Now that is no longer he case. If I were the op I would wait for the refresh, I'm sure they will be amazing.

Notebook Evangelist

Short answer: You don't need 8 GB of RAM.

The long answer would have been something along the lines of you not understanding the limiting factors in OS virtualization. RAM size is seriously the least of your problems.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Xhibit View Post
    Because he wants a Mac. Precieved quality by the consumer is more important than actual quality. "Ignorance is bliss:" yes he could get a much faster and stronger PC, but that doesn't matter if he buys a Mac and thinks its faster. For example, you like the build quality of the macbooks, even though the unibody design is weaker than most comparable PC's. However rarely would the strength of the laptop come into play, meaning the MacBook would be a better choice for you because you believe it is stronger. For the op's needs both a MacBook and a mobile workstation PC are quite fast enouph. Since the speed of the PC would rarely be needed, he would be happier with a Mac, because he would think it was faster.

I bought a MacBook because of its supperior batterylife at the time. Now that is no longer he case. If I were the op I would wait for the refresh, I'm sure they will be amazing.
    What do you mean by the bolded? Your Macbook's battery life has deteriorated over time or have other machines out-shadowed it in that department? I ask because I'm considering a MBP pretty soon.

I am thinking of waiting for a refresh, however ... I don't know that apple will be able to maintain that 7 hour battery life with the i5's (Do they really consume less power?)

The MBP as it stands is enough "power wise" for me, I'm really not glued to me computer ... The most tasking thing I will need it for is streaming HD content ... Something I'm not sure the current line can do flawlessly.

I'm also considering the Sony Vaio SR ... It's much more powerful, has slightly shorter battery life and has VGA and HDMI (I don't want to bother with a dongle).

This is the configuration I am considering ... It will cost me $1,600.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80GHz)
    Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Classic Black
    128GB SATA Solid State Drive
    4GB (2GBx2) DDR2-SDRAM-800
    CD/DVD playback/burning
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4570 Graphics (512MB VRAM)

Still, I just love the build of the MBP ... And I really wish it had the above specs.

Notebook Consultant

guys, don't justify what to get. He is just asking if the ram if it is necessary for him.

Pointing to get PC instead of this and etc.. you guys is going making another dead thread soon... I am starting to see this on every thread.

Whatever it is some of us like to get official OSX computers like myself 15years of Windows user. I would like a change and I actually prefer OSX finder over Windows folders...

I dislike OSX hackintosh... not a fan of it. So speaking of Sony Z sig.. is a no no + plus I have a PC laptop already.. check sig..

GEEK TIMELINE
    1981 Nikon F3 + 2x Lens | 1984 Polaroid Sun 600 | 2004 Dell Inspiron 9300 | 2009 HP HDX-16 Modded http://bit.ly/d3eplu | 2009 iPod Touch 3G 32GB (sold) | 2010 Nikon D90 + Sigma 18-250mm + F3's Lens | 2010 iPhone 4 32GB | 2010 Apple MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 http://bit.ly/bIYEI1 | 2010 Razer Orochi Bluetooth | 2010 Pioneer HDJ-2000

Notebook Consultant

What do you mean by the bolded? Your Macbook's battery life has deteriorated over time or have other machines out-shadowed it in that department? I ask because I'm considering a MBP pretty soon.

I am thinking of waiting for a refresh, however ... I don't know that apple will be able to maintain that 7 hour battery life with the i5's (Do they really consume less power?)

The MBP as it stands is enough "power wise" for me, I'm really not glued to me computer ... The most tasking thing I will need it for is streaming HD content ... Something I'm not sure the current line can do flawlessly.

I'm also considering the Sony Vaio SR ... It's much more powerful, has slightly shorter battery life and has VGA and HDMI (I don't want to bother with a dongle).

This is the configuration I am considering ... It will cost me $1,600.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80GHz)
    Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Classic Black
    128GB SATA Solid State Drive
    4GB (2GBx2) DDR2-SDRAM-800
    CD/DVD playback/burning
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4570 Graphics (512MB VRAM)

Still, I just love the build of the MBP ... And I really wish it had the above specs.

No, power consultation is the same... Core 2 Duo most are 35W top for 7 hours...
    http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ifications.htm

Core i7 Series 35W except Quad Core 45W

Core i5 Series 35W top

Now stop worrying about the CPU and Battery... so a little research on the Intel site..

GEEK TIMELINE
    1981 Nikon F3 + 2x Lens | 1984 Polaroid Sun 600 | 2004 Dell Inspiron 9300 | 2009 HP HDX-16 Modded http://bit.ly/d3eplu | 2009 iPod Touch 3G 32GB (sold) | 2010 Nikon D90 + Sigma 18-250mm + F3's Lens | 2010 iPhone 4 32GB | 2010 Apple MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 http://bit.ly/bIYEI1 | 2010 Razer Orochi Bluetooth | 2010 Pioneer HDJ-2000

Notebook Evangelist

You're right, I guess ... I too enjoy the thrill that comes with learning a new OS. It's one of the reasons, although not a top one, I was considering the MBP.

As for the OP's question, it seems to me he's already made his mind up to get 8GB of RAM and just wants some verification that he's making the right choice.

Your processor will become the limiting factor long before the 8GB of RAM can be properly put to use.

I have said it before ... You don't need 8GB of RAM. 4 will suffice for anything really. Realistically you will not be running Maya/3ds alongside all those programs ... You just don't need 8GB of RAM.

Notebook Consultant

As a normal users + some games. I would stick for 4GB.

Reason why I now have 8GB ram laptop xD... My photoshop ate 4GB of my ram already for editing a 12,000 x 9000 resolution at 300 DPI... 2gb PSD file...

And that's when you need 8gb+ ram. Otherwise to the OP, just stick for 4GB and save your money until you really need 8GB then by the time you get them it will be around $300 cheap for 4GB x2 stick DDR3.

GEEK TIMELINE

Notebook Virtuoso

Short answer: You don't need 8 GB of RAM.

The long answer would have been something along the lines of you not understanding the limiting factors in OS virtualization. RAM size is seriously the least of your problems.
    this.

4GB-6GB is plenty.
    17" Apple MacBook Pro | i7 2720m | 160GB SSD + 750GB | 16GB | HD 6750M 1GB
    Dell 435MT | i7 920 | 10GB RAM | 7.64TB HDDs | HD 6970 | Win7+SL
    HP Elitebook 2710p Tablet PC | 1.8GHz C2D | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD | X3100
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB | Apple iPad 64GB (Gen 3)
    Stop random laptop wakeup | 5K500.B bench data | How to Disable PowerMiser
    Disable Vaio beep when pressing volume or special keys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast