Quantcast Overclocking the CPU and GPU of a macbook pro!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Overclocking the CPU and GPU of a macbook pro!!!

I am just wondering if it is possible to safely overclock the 2.8 ghz cpu on a macbook pro to run at speeds above 3.0? Intel's website lists that the 2.8 ghz cpu has a "turbo" mode. Has anybody tried this?

Also is it possible to safely overclock the GPU? has anybody tried it?

Not that I am planning to do this! but just out of curiosity.

thank you very much.

Without ME its just AWESO

Default Re: Overclocking the CPU and GPU of a macbook pro!!!

I've overclocked GPUs in Windows on Macs fine.. but there's no software made (and I really don't feel like doing it myself) to overclock the CPU or GPU in OSX...
    Wineskin 2.6 is available!. Turn Windows apps into Mac apps for free!

Notebook Consultant

Actually i think its pretty easy to overclock both if you have the newer MBP with the Nvidia chipset. By using the Nvidia Control Panel you can up the multiplier (or i think it was the FBS, i don't recall) and GPU clocks very easily with the correct drivers. I've only up the GPU clocks to Nvidia specs, I didn't do the CPU. My temps stayed the same at load. (this was on Windows) Other people have gone further but i didn't risk it. It's a free way to squeeze out a few more FPS.

NBR Prisoner

I overclock and undervolt my GPU via the VBios, so the clocks and frequency stays the same for OS X and Windows, it gives me higher performance and lesser heat then the default settings.

For the CPU I just undervolt in OS X via coolbook, and then Undervolt and Overclock in Windows.
    Macbook Pro 2.2 Core i7, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6750, Hi Res Anti Glare, Crucial M4 256GB + 750GB Optibay

NBR Reviewer

I prefer using the default settings. sure it gets a little hot, but definitely not hot enough to damage the components. overclocking the gpu will certainly lead to failure sooner or later as the gpu is already hot at default settings.
    Macbook Pro 15.4"
    Desktop
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4Ghz 1066Mhz FSB
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8Ghz 800Mhz FSB
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    750GB, 4GB DDR2 RAM
    250GB, GeForce 9400m + 9600M GT GDDR3
    Ati 5770 1GB DDR 5
    Mac Os X Snow Leopard + Windows 7 Home Premium
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by MKang25 View Post
    I overclock and undervolt my GPU via the VBios, so the clocks and frequency stays the same for OS X and Windows, it gives me higher performance and lesser heat then the default settings.
    How did you do this? This sounds like a much better option if it works in both OS.

uber doomer

If you have the 9400m motherboard you can overclock cpu, gpu's and memory timings using Nvidia system tools.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_...ools_6.05.html

My Toshiba Qosmio has the 9400m g sli, and I can get my p8400 to 2.7ghz.

Qosmio X305-Q706/ Windows 7 Ultimate 64/ Core2Extreme Q9200@ 2.8ghz/ 9800m gts sli/ 6gb 1066 ram/Intel X-18m 80GB ssd +320gb Hitachi hdd

Desktop: Thermaltake SwordM case/Asus P6X58D Premium mobo/ i7-930@4ghz Noctua DH-9F HSF/HD Radeon 5970/ 12gb Kingston HyperX/3x100gb OCZ VertexLE+90gb Vertex2 RAID 0/ Asus MT276 27" monitor
    PCMark Vantage HDD Suite 109,105

Notebook Enthusiast

Is there any way to help with the heatcycles in the GPU? I mean some software that can bring down the GPU heat progressively after some hard gaming or something alike?

NBR Prisoner

Quote Originally Posted by tasty_chicken View Post
    How did you do this? This sounds like a much better option if it works in both OS.
    Well it is a bit risky because if you do a bad flash you will have a black screen so you will have to boot up blind. I've owned a Sager before this and did alot of tweaking so I am comfortable with this. You would first have to download NBitor, and google the web for the stablest VBIOS for the 9600M GT in which you can overclock it the most. Then you apply the bios first, then go into NBITOR and mess around with the VID levels and gpu clocks and do multiple tests to see which one is the most stable. This method would apply the voltages and clock settings to both OS X and Windows i.e Hard Overclock. Whereas using the nvidia tools would be a soft overclock as you would need to open the program for it to take effect.
    Macbook Pro 2.2 Core i7, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6750, Hi Res Anti Glare, Crucial M4 256GB + 750GB Optibay

uber doomer

Quote Originally Posted by castillo4141 View Post
    Is there any way to help with the heatcycles in the GPU? I mean some software that can bring down the GPU heat progressively after some hard gaming or something alike?
    The display drivers routinely downclock the gpu's in my windows 7 computer.
    Here is a couple of screenshots taken seconds apart.

Qosmio X305-Q706/ Windows 7 Ultimate 64/ Core2Extreme Q9200@ 2.8ghz/ 9800m gts sli/ 6gb 1066 ram/Intel X-18m 80GB ssd +320gb Hitachi hdd

Desktop: Thermaltake SwordM case/Asus P6X58D Premium mobo/ i7-930@4ghz Noctua DH-9F HSF/HD Radeon 5970/ 12gb Kingston HyperX/3x100gb OCZ VertexLE+90gb Vertex2 RAID 0/ Asus MT276 27" monitor
    PCMark Vantage HDD Suite 109,105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast