Quantcast MacBook Air as main computer with external monitor /keyboard/mouse. Anyone?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default MacBook Air as main computer with external monitor /keyboard/mouse. Anyone?

I'm thinking on using my MBA as my main computer, therefore I'm considering buying the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and the Mighty Mouse and hooking up to my HP Monitor for when I'm at my desk for long periods.

It's very easy to hook up ... this MBA seems quick enough and a usb hub can be added if need be ... why not use it as a main pc?

Further, the only windows app I'm really going to miss is Publisher, I'm thinking on being daring and installing Vista on the Mac with Bootcamp and then run Publisher in Windows. If that worked well I could get rid of the T500... (I have a desktop I could use for heavier app's, movie/music downloading) ...

Seems like a lot of work for such a small little machine, lol, can it handle it? Has anyone there done this before with success?

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: MacBook Air as main computer with external monitor /keyboard/mouse. Anyone?

it should be able to handle it. Just make sure you get 4gb + ram...
    Also, maybe consider the dell adamo or the lenovo (x300 i think?)

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: MacBook Air as main computer with external monitor /keyboard/mouse. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by aan310 View Post
    it should be able to handle it. Just make sure you get 4gb + ram...
    Also, maybe consider the dell adamo or the lenovo (x300 i think?)
    I thought maximum amount of RAM was 2GB, and you have to get it when ordering (it's soldered on)

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by chyidean View Post
    I thought maximum amount of RAM was 2GB, and you have to get it when ordering (it's soldered on)
    well, i was going to check, but apple.com is not loading :/

Yes I am better than you!

The Air comes with 2gb of memory soldered on to the mainboard. You can not upgrade it at any time.

Technofile Extraordinaire

2GB is enough for almost any general activities you do. Even power use on Vista will work with 2GB no problem... Hey Unique, you may want to consider a cooling pad w/usb hub. Kills two birds with one stone. I am cheap, so I would go with 3rd party, usually Logitech, for my peripheral needs just to save a couple bucks. You can just keep the pad with the dongles for the keyboard/mouse, maybe a printer cable, etc. ready then just set it on and plug in. Would be a very cool setup ;D

Road Warrior (soon) | Droid X | Phenom 955 Black + 460 GTX SuperEE | Asus EEE PC 1000H (2GB/160GB)
    Asus G2S-B1 (3GB RAM)[RIP...your thermal failure will not be forgotten] | Acer Aspire 1690-DDR1 (still alive)
    Palm Zire 72x2 + TX + Centro

Undervolting Guide by Flipfire

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by gengerald View Post
    2GB is enough for almost any general activities you do. Even power use on Vista will work with 2GB no problem... Hey Unique, you may want to consider a cooling pad w/usb hub. Kills two birds with one stone. I am cheap, so I would go with 3rd party, usually Logitech, for my peripheral needs just to save a couple bucks. You can just keep the pad with the dongles for the keyboard/mouse, maybe a printer cable, etc. ready then just set it on and plug in. Would be a very cool setup ;D
    I'm sure others, especially the OP, would disagree (as he's about to use it as primary computer), but my personal opinion is that the Air is first and foremost a fashion statement. My conclusion is based on the obvious marketing angle from Apple that emphasizes its thinness and light weight. As a result, if the purchase was based from the aesthetic appeal of the computer, third party peripherals may not complement the design as much as something directly from Apple would.

But then again, it's just my personal take on it.

Technofile Extraordinaire

Are you suggesting that anything non-mac is not stylish? fan boy much?

Road Warrior (soon) | Droid X | Phenom 955 Black + 460 GTX SuperEE | Asus EEE PC 1000H (2GB/160GB)
    Asus G2S-B1 (3GB RAM)[RIP...your thermal failure will not be forgotten] | Acer Aspire 1690-DDR1 (still alive)
    Palm Zire 72x2 + TX + Centro

Undervolting Guide by Flipfire

ORLY???

not a bad idea,but
    1)better install xp,will run much better!
    2)
    Seems like a lot of work for such a small little machine, lol, can it handle it?
    you didn't mention what works are you going to do

ORLY???

Quote Originally Posted by gengerald View Post
    Are you suggesting that anything non-mac is not stylish? fan boy much?
    nope,he was just saying that apple wants you to buy their accessories so the styles will "match".please stop thinking that every poster here is a blind fanboy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast