Quantcast Insert Key on Macs

Closed Thread
    wmi
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Insert Key on Macs

Hi,

I was recently looking at MacBook Pros at a shop and realised that the keyboard does not have an insert key.

Do Mac guys manage it without the insert key or is there any other key that works like insert key.

I work a lot on Unix/Linux environments and for me Shift-Ins is an everyday essential.

Sam
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Insert Key on Macs

There probably is another key to do what Insert does on Windows. I don't use Insert much, so I don't personally know.

Most keyboard shortcuts in Windows works in OS X, just kinda differently. Like instead of Ctrl + C for copy, its Command + C.
    Apple MacBook Pro 13 | OS X Snow Leopard | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB RAM | 250 GB HDD | SuperDrive
    Raidmax Desktop | Windows XP | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad | 4 GB RAM | 500 GB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Apple iPhone 3G S | Bell Canada | 16 GB | Incipio Feather Metallic Black

Mac Switcher's Guide | Windows on a Mac Guide | My Flickr

NBR Janitor

Insert is used in word processing programs, and it's actually hard to explain with words.

For example, if you have the world "notebook", and you want to type "my" in the middle of it, with insert on, you get "notemybook". With it off, you get "notemyok".

Other than that, I've never seen insert used before.

Edit: I should add "in Windows" after the last sentence.
    Last edited by Lithus; 8th December 2007 at 11:14 PM.
    Desktop: Core i7 960, 1 TB HDD, 6 GB RAM, Radeon HD 6870
    Asus G50vt-X1: P8400, 320 GB 7200 RPM, 4 GB RAM, 9800m GS
    Asus G1s-A1 - Dead Video Card

wmi
    Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lithus View Post
    For example, if you have the world "notebook", and you want to type "my" in the middle of it, with insert on, you get "notemybook". With it off, you get "notemyok".
    No, no, no.

For example:
    To copy and paste text following shortcuts are very common. (Of course, you select the text before copying)

Windows:
    Copy: Ctrl+C
    Paste: Ctrl+V

Unix/Linux:
    Copy: Ctrl+Ins
    Paste: Shift+Ins

Now to put it in perspective, I've heard that Macs have Unix shells for command line interface. Now to copy and paste text if I want to use Ctrl-Ins and Shift-Ins methods what keys do I use?

I'm sure there must be a Mac/OSX equivalent of these but if I buy an MBP, I will not be running OSX on it; that's why the question.

Please ask for clarification if I'm not clear enough.

Cheers!

NBR Super Moderator

Terminal in OS X enables the use of Cmd+C and Cmd+V for copy pasting. If you wished to kill a program or something, you still use Ctrl+C etc.
    So, in that aspect, the Cmd key serves as an alternative shortcut key.
    Notebook - 13" Macbook Air 1.3Ghz Core i5 4250U; 1GB Intel Graphics 5000(!!); 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; 256GB SSD; 12 hours battery

Notebook Deity

Yea within osx you use cmd+ (shortcut, like c for copy), but if you were to go into linux/windows and want to use the insert key for shortcuts or just use it i dont think there is one.

I would think though with linux and its customizibility you could change it from insert to c or something else that you want.

im sure its come up though, because i cant see everyone wanting to use control insert and shift insert for copy an pasting stuff.

Notebook Guru

This probably isn't going to help, but in case you're using VMware Fusion on your MBP you can hit Fn + M for the Insert key.

I AM using VMWare (lovin' it) so thank you for taking the time to post. Perfect for MS Project. Thanks, again.