Quantcast usb flash drive wont work

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default usb flash drive wont work

hey,

im trying to use a sandisk cruzer micro usb flash drive on my new macbook but it doesnt appear to be working..either that or i have no idea how to use it properly. anyone know how to save onto one of these things?

thanks!

Sam
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: usb flash drive wont work

Is it recognized in OS X? As in, do you see an icon of your flash drive on the Desktop?

If it is recognized, then to save any file on a flash drive just drag a file to the flash drive. On a file such as document or PSD file, you can also click Save As... from File in the Menu Bar and select the flash drive.
    Apple MacBook Pro 13 | OS X Snow Leopard | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB RAM | 250 GB HDD | SuperDrive
    Raidmax Desktop | Windows XP | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad | 4 GB RAM | 500 GB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Apple iPhone 3G S | Bell Canada | 16 GB | Incipio Feather Metallic Black

Mac Switcher's Guide | Windows on a Mac Guide | My Flickr

Notebook Enthusiast

hmmm ok so i clicked on save as i selected the flash drive called "U3 system" but when i did that it wouldnt let me save it and a msg came on saying "the default format for word 2004. this format is shared by word 97 through word 2003 fo windows and word 98 through word 2004 for mac. i ran a compatiblity report and nothing was found. i then tried to just click my document over the icon in my desktop but the follwing msg came up "the item could not be moved because "U3 system" cannot be modified". so does that mean this product isnt compatible with my mac??-+

Notebook Enthusiast

oh ya and i do c the icon in my desktop its an icon of a cd and underneath it says "U3 system"

Sam
    Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by atrottie View Post
    hmmm ok so i clicked on save as i selected the flash drive called "U3 system" but when i did that it wouldnt let me save it and a msg came on saying "the default format for word 2004. this format is shared by word 97 through word 2003 fo windows and word 98 through word 2004 for mac. i ran a compatiblity report and nothing was found. i then tried to just click my document over the icon in my desktop but the follwing msg came up "the item could not be moved because "U3 system" cannot be modified". so does that mean this product isnt compatible with my mac??-+
    Well, at least the flash drive is recognized by OS X, so it should be compatible. Try to drag a file to the flash drive's folder first. Like a photo or something. If it shows up in the flash drive's folder, then the flash drive is fine.
    Apple MacBook Pro 13 | OS X Snow Leopard | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB RAM | 250 GB HDD | SuperDrive
    Raidmax Desktop | Windows XP | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad | 4 GB RAM | 500 GB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4850

Notebook Enthusiast

oh my god, thank you! i just realized i was dragging my documents to the wrong icon. for some reason when i put the usb stick in2 my computer 2 icons pop up on my desktop and i was putting my documents into the wrong one..thanks!

Sam
    Notebook Virtuoso

Lol, no problem, atrottie . Glad to be of help!

Paranoid Android

That’s because the SanDisk Cruzer Micro comes with U3 Smart functionality that is not Mac OS compatible. So each time you plug the drive into a Mac you will see the USB Drive icon (where you store data files) and the U3 System icon (looks like a CD).

If you have access to a computer with Windows, I’d recommend you Uninstall the U3 LaunchPad system software.

See Frequently Asked Questions About U3 for more information:
    Can I remove U3 technology from my USB drive?
    Yes. To remove the U3 technology from the drive, simply go to the U3 Launchpad and, under Settings, select U3 Launchpad settings and click Uninstall. This will completely remove the U3 Launchpad from the drive.

Can I restore U3 technology after removing it?
    Yes. SanDisk’s U3 website features a U3 Launchpad Installer utility that you can use to re-install the U3 Launchpad on the Cruzer smart drive. (http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/DriverDownloads.aspx)
    Last edited by Xander; 27th August 2007 at 04:59 PM.
    15" 2.4GHz Apple MacBook Pro | OS X 10.7 Lion | Windows 7

Option-Command-Eject
    Control-Option-Command-Eject

Notebook Consultant

the U3 software is kinda cool but it only works for windows...

When i tried using it with my mac, it didnt work at first...

i had to plug it back into my windows using bootcamp or etc then disable launching U3 in the setting tab...
    [ THiNKPAD x230 ] i5 3360 | 500GB HDD | 16GB mushkin Ram | Bluetooth 4.0 | 720p Camera | Fingerprint reader | Intel Centrino Wireless Advance N-6205 AGN