Quantcast PCFx - AlienFX lighting depending on things like CPU temperature

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: PCFx - AlienFX lighting depending on things like CPU temperature

Notebook Consultant

Default PCFx - AlienFX lighting depending on things like CPU temperature

PCFx 0.5 (Supported M14x Chassis, possibly others too)

Other chassis can be supported, let me know if you have problems.

Description:
    Allows the user to identify computer activity or statistics such as CPU temperature from colour variations on the AlienFX laptop. Simply select what you want the zone to show and the low and high colours. Values that are in between low and high colours will be visualised as a gradient, so gradual colour changes rather than sudden colour changes.

PCFx currently updates colours every 1/5th of a second (200ms), uses the LightFX.dll from the AlienFX SDK and is able to retrieve the sensor information such as CPU core temperatures without third party programs.

Screenshot:

Known Bugs:
    - (ViolentArmy) Status lights dropdown box has some old options that are no longer required. This will be corrected in version 0.6+.

Future Improvements:
    - 'Battery Capacity %' added to all dropdown boxes as an option.
    - Dynamic calibration of supported chassis zones, e.g. M15x has zones which work somewhere else other than where PCFx states.
    - Control temperature low and high values.

Virus Scan Report from VirusTotal:
    VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner - Version 0.1 Alpha x86

Download is attached to this post. Extract it, run it, and enjoy! Any questions or ideas please feel free to suggest, and as always if you find the program useful and want to make a donation please do so via the donation button in the program.

Please choose the correct version for your operating system, e.g. if you run 32-bit please download x86, otherwise download x64 if you run 64-bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ixel; 25th July 2011 at 04:42 PM.
    Alienware M14x Black: Intel i7 2720QM - 1600x900 - NVIDIA GT555M 1.5GB - Kingston 8GB RAM 1600MHz XMP (Profile 2) - Bigfoot Killer 1102 - Seagate Momentus XT 500GB SSHD 7200RPM

My Programs:
    - PCFx - AlienFX lighting depending on values such as CPU temperature

NBR Community Moderator

Default Re: AlienFX - Lighting depending on values (project proposal)

Excellent idea - we need more folks with the desire to play with the AlienFX API. Sounds interesting. Look forward to seeing how your project progresses if you decide to go forward.

Have fun!

Notebook Deity

you got my vote .... that's an amazing idea though.......

Notebook Evangelist

Amazing idea for the colors depends of the temps, so no need to alt tab while gaming to know if the system is getting hot or not. Can't wait.

Notebook Consultant

Well based on the positive replies so far I've decided to start an alpha version now, it won't be anywhere near as complete as I want, but initially it will be able to control keyboard elements on all laptop models (or at least that's what I believe from reading the AlienFX SDK and what I've coded so far on my M14x).

Progress as of this post is as follows:
    - GUI is 70% complete, just need to add some helpful elements to explain certain things (e.g. About PCFx).
    - Changing the left, left middle, right middle, and finally the right zones on the keyboard are possible, with four settings. The settings are Solid Colour, CPU Load (% scale), CPU #0 Temperature (Low as 40C, gradient colour/morph up to 100C as High), Disk #0 Load (% scale).
    - Changing the Low and High colours for each zone is possible, rather than having one Low and High colour for all zones.
    - Saving settings will be done shortly.

Requirements:
    - .NET Framework 4, which all AlienFX laptops should theoretically have anyway as AlienFX requires it.
    - An AlienFX capable laptop.
    Alienware M14x Black: Intel i7 2720QM - 1600x900 - NVIDIA GT555M 1.5GB - Kingston 8GB RAM 1600MHz XMP (Profile 2) - Bigfoot Killer 1102 - Seagate Momentus XT 500GB SSHD 7200RPM

My Programs:

Notebook Geek

Superb idea, can't believe no ones thought of this before.

Good luck!
    The Mothership Has Landed M14x, i7 2630QM/GT 555M 1.5Gb /6gb DDR3 RAM 1600/500gb HDD 7200 rpm/1366x768 makes me sad/ Pcmark7=2518/

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Notebook Consultant

Project released as 0.1 alpha. Could a moderator change the thread name with the name of my post so that it's not longer an idea, but an actual release.

My Programs:

Notebook Geek

I support you! This is a great idea!

Notebook Consultant

Awesome +rep
    Toshiba Satellite M115 - dead lcd inverter - Centrino Duo (1.6 Ghz) - 2GB DDR2 - 32GB SSD - Xubuntu 11.10
    Antec 300 | Asus P8Z68-V/Gen 3 | i5 2500k | GTX 560 ti 448 Core on water | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | Windows 7
    VZW Galaxy Nexus - CM9 | Canon Rebel xsi | Vapir NO2
    Add zanhenry on steam

NBR Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ixel View Post
    Project released as 0.1 alpha. Could a moderator change the thread name with the name of my post so that it's not longer an idea, but an actual release.
    Title changed and link added to NET 4.0 installer in post#1. While the current version of Command Center on the 11xR3, 14x, 17xR3 and 18x require NET 4.0, the older systems do not have this requirement for their CC version. Before attempting to run the OPs app, I suggest everyone run the .NET 4.0 installer. Just to confirm.

OP, nice job!

A side note, the legacy AW Systems (pre-dell) probably will not support this as the AlienFX package was a bit different then. Legacy owners, use at your own risk.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast