Quantcast M11xR3/M14x/M17xR3/M18x - Intel WiDi discussion thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Really odd person)

Default M11xR3/M14x/M17xR3/M18x - Intel WiDi discussion thread

There seems to be a lot of confusion about these two technologies, so i figured i write the differences between the two.

WiDi is Intel`s solution to transfer data from the laptop to a TV.
    With this technology you use the IGP of either i3, i5 or i7 CPUs (those with an IGP) to display things on the TV. And to actually transfer the data from your laptop to the reciever, you will need a Wireless card. Wireless-N 1000, Intel Advanced 6200/6230, Intel Ultimate-N 6300 is cards that is able to transfer the data. You will also need a software which i don`t know the name of to run it all from your laptop. And at last you will need a reciever by the TV. The only manufaturer i know of that makes these are Netgear. You have two different types. 1: Push2TV which can recieve and output up to 720p. 2. Push2TV HD which can recieve and output up to 1080p.
    i3, i5 and i7 1st gen can only manage to get up to 720p on the TV. i3, i5 and i7 2nd gen up to 1080p.
    According to Intel all laptops that are compatible with this technology have this marked on them

And here is a list of laptops that is compatible. ptv_supportedlaptops_usa No alienware is on this list for some reason. Probably because they are not bundled with the software. M17x R3 have all the requirements filled. NB: You cannot use the M17X R3 versions with 120 Hz (3D) screen with WiDi because the IGP is disabled and WiDi relays on the IGP to display things on the TV.

WiDi 1.0 supported streaming up to 720p and you had to watch the same on the laptop screen as you did with the TV. No multitasking available.
    WiDi 2.0 supports up to 1080p and you can stream video/music etc to the TV while at the same time do whatever you want with the laptop.

WiHD Discussion thread is here:
    M14x/M17xR3/M18x - Wireless HD/SiBEAM discussion thread
    The difference between WiDi and WiHD is that WiDi use the Intel wireless cards to transmit the data from the laptop to the TV, while WIHD use a transmitter to transfer the data.
    Last edited by BatBoy; 11th May 2011 at 02:55 PM.

NBR Community Moderator

Default Re: Intel WiDi / Alienware Discussion

Please only WiDi related posts here...

WiDi and WirelessHD are different and we have a dedicated WirelessHD thread here -
    M14x/M17xR3/M18x - Wireless HD/SiBEAM discussion thread

Thanks.

NBR Community Moderator

From the WirelessHD thread -

Quote Originally Posted by DustoMan
    Thought I would pass this news along since I believe all of us with these model Alienware laptops can be updated to Intel's WiDi 2.0:

Intel refreshes Wireless Display with support for DRM-protected DVDs, Blu-rays -- Engadget

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Anyone get Widi Working with m17x R3

Hey everyone, I know there was a widi thread, and I posted in that but I think it isn't getting answered because everyone has read that thread and it's just discussion of the technologies. Basically I get it close to connecting. The adapter says connected, and then the Widi software says unable to send desktop to remote device. Haven't been able to figure another way to get it to work. I've tried reinstalling the widi software, the wireless software, and I can't do anything about the graphics driver. I haven't called dell since they are as likely to tell me the solution is on Mars as they are to give me a correct answer so I'm asking if anyone in the community has had any success, or perhaps has used it on a different laptop.

Thanks!
    m17x R3 Stealth Black | Core i7 2720QM | 12GB | 17.3-inch 1920x1080 60Hz WLED | 2GB Radeon™ HD 6970M | 128GB Corsair Nova + 500GB 7,200RPM | Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader | Intel® 6300 a/g/n 3x3
    It's funny how the moderators can't understand that if Dell releases marketing material the laptop is beyond speculation... can't stand dumb people...

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Anyone get Widi Working with m17x R3

Yes, I have tried and it works, I confirmed even on other threads that it works at a quite good distance (at about 10 m from the TV to Laptop and the signal strength was still 100%).

I had the same issue as you had, but this is nothing to do with your system and is the software you are using. You must download the actual driver from the manufacturer of your receiver, not from Intel’s website, that will not work; it will always give you an error message.

Go to the website of your receiver brand and download the latest software. Once installed you will see immediate connection without fail (it will ask you to enter on your computer screen the password you are seeing on the TV).

Hope you will succeed. It is nice to watch movies and even live TV directly from your laptop, wireless to your TV.
    You want good customer service and full support? Have no second thoughts!

ALIEN M18XR2 l i7 3920XM | 680 SLi 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866 Mhz | 1.23TB SSD | WHAT A BEAST!

ALIEN 17 | i7 4900MQ | Nvidia GTX 780M | 32GB RAM | 240GB mSATA OS | SAMSUNG SSD EVO 3 X 1TB RAD 0 |

Samsung Series 7 Ultra | i5 3337U | 8 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD | TOUCH SCREEN 1080P 13.3"

Most useful info by Mr. Fox

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Anyone get Widi Working with m17x R3

So far no luck. I did go get the netgear drivers (PTV2000) and now I still get the same thing. One thing I don't understand is that if I'm watching the my wifi display it shows my device as allowed, then when it's connecting displays an IP address, and when it fails it shows up as blocked. I wonder if this has something to do with it.

Thanks,
    -Rick
    m17x R3 Stealth Black | Core i7 2720QM | 12GB | 17.3-inch 1920x1080 60Hz WLED | 2GB Radeon™ HD 6970M | 128GB Corsair Nova + 500GB 7,200RPM | Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader | Intel® 6300 a/g/n 3x3
    It's funny how the moderators can't understand that if Dell releases marketing material the laptop is beyond speculation... can't stand dumb people...

Notebook Evangelist

Has anyone here tested out Intel's WiDi on the new Alienwares??

I'm interested in it since I want it to mainly movies (720P/1080P) to my TV.

But I wanna know how it performs?

- Is there any lag?
    - Does it look the same as if it were connected via HDMI?
    - I have WiDi 2.0 on my M14x so would a 1080P stream clearly with a strong wireless connection?

I know games won't run well on it but I have my external monitor for that.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thank You!

Alienware M14x | i7-2820QM | 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz | 900P WLED | 80 GB Intel G2 SSD + 500GB WD Black 7200 RPM | Intel 6205 Wifi | Nvidia 1.5 GB GT 555M | Logitech Anywhere MX mouse |

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: M11xR3/M14x/M17xR3/M18x - Intel WiDi discussion thread

I am still trying to get it to work with almost no luck. However it seems that juliant has been able to so maybe it is just my ptv box. At this point I'm almost ready to return it. I may give netgear a call today or tomorrow.

Notebook Enthusiast

Well i have both the Push2tv1000 and the Push2tv2000. It was a royal pita to get working but i finally got it working. The issue is the display drivers. The ati drivers include a intel driver for the graphics switching. The provider of the intel drivers is listed as ati. When i was doing the multitude of driver uninstalls and re-installs to get it working i figured out that when the using the intel reference drivers without the ati drivers loaded at all it worked 100% of the time every time. As soon as i managed to get the ati drivers loaded that were needed for switching it would not work.

The intel reference drivers and ati drivers hated each other and would not work together (mutually exclusive) so the key was to try to get the ati drivers that included the intel reference drivers to work now unfortunately i have no explanation or process but the ati drivers started working. I did so many install uninstalls ghosting and re-imaging i cant be sure how but one it started working it stayed working even after the update to the 10.4 drivers.

Notebook Evangelist

this sound more like a PITA than just connecting HDMI directly.

In paper this all sounds amazing and should be easy to use for even a person with a little knowledge of technology, but to go through all this just to try and get to connect wirelessly to a TV, who is really going to waste their time?

Alienware M14x | i7-2820QM | 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz | 900P WLED | 80 GB Intel G2 SSD + 500GB WD Black 7200 RPM | Intel 6205 Wifi | Nvidia 1.5 GB GT 555M | Logitech Anywhere MX mouse |

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast