Quantcast HOW TO: Create a BOOTABLE USB Flash Drive to flash AW BIOS updates under DOS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBR Community Moderator

Default HOW TO: Create a BOOTABLE USB Flash Drive to flash AW BIOS updates under DOS

*This thread linked in AW General Info sticky*

On occasion, AW will release a BIOS update which is not an executable under windows or will release one which includes both the Windows EXE and the files to flash the BIOS under DOS if the user so desires (sometimes, its just an .iso which you have to burn, in which case this would not apply of course).

A frequent question is: How do I create (easily) a bootable USB drive in order to flash my BIOS?

I spent quite a bit of time in the past searching for the easiest way to do this. I finally came across the following method which is very easy and can be done in under a minute.

REQUIRED:
    Format Tool , MiniDOS files
    Archive here: BOOTABLE FLASH DRIVE.zip

1. Download the above archive
    2. Extract it to your desktop
    3. Insert your USB flash drive
    4. Launch the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
    5. Give the Flash Drive a name (example: USB FLASH STICK)
    6. Check the checkbox for Quick Format
    7. Set the File System to the FAT option (Note, if you do not see FAT, reference this post by katalin_2003)
    8. Click on 'Create a DOS startup disk', select the radial for 'using DOS system files located at:', click the '...' button and point to the directory (part of the downloaded archive) titled "MiniDOS".
    9. Click Start

DONE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you have a bootable flash drive, copy over the files for the BIOS update. I suggest the following:

1. Save the BIOS files in their own directory on the flash stick. Example: 'M11xR1_A05'. I do this in order to save the various BIOS revisions so I can re-flash another version if needed.

2. Now, to boot, insert the USB stick and power up the system. Be sure to depress F12 @ the BIOS to bring up the one time boot menu. Select the option to boot from USB STORAGE and hit enter.

Your system will now boot using the USB Flash Drive.

NOTE: You will see a prompt to enter current system time and date. Don't worry about this - just hit enter until you hit the C: prompt.

3. Once at the C:\ prompt, change the directory to the BIOS update. If you used my suggestion, the command would be:

cd M11xR1_A05

remember, 'cd' stands for change directory.

4. Once you have changed the active directory to the one with the BIOS update files, execute the batch file to update the BIOS. (typically this is F.BAT). Dell will usually list how to execute under DOS within the instructions listed on the BIOS download page.

If at any time you need to review the contents of the active directory, type 'dir' (for 'Directory') to list the contents.

NOTE: This USB flash stick will not support other DOS based functions. It is designed simply to get you into DOS and put you at the C:\ prompt.

If any of this sounds confusing to you, stick with the instructions listed by Dell (burn .ISO, flash from windows, etc.) on the BIOS download page.

Enjoy.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: HOW TO: Create a BOOTABLE USB Flash Drive to flash AW BIOS updates under DOS

I went through hell doing this. Because I didn't have a regular USB storage devide, only had my cellphone. Only the files extracted from an ISO of FreeDOS helped me and I was able to boot from my cellphone and flash the A06 Bios. Good guide anyway using the HP utility seems to be the easiest way to do this.

Alienware M17x | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 @3.06 GHz | NVIDIA Geforce SLI GTX 280M + 9400M | 4 GB RAM DDR3 | Dual CCFL 1920x1200 | 500 GB 7200 rpm

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: HOW TO: Create a BOOTABLE USB Flash Drive to flash AW BIOS updates under DOS

It doesn't work in 64 bit.
    click the '...' button and point to the directory (part of the downloaded archive) titled "MiniDOS".

It says-
    The user supplied DOS system files are not compatiable with FAT32.
    Helping hands are better than praying lips!

NBR Community Moderator

Not sure what you mean... I had no issue doing this and I am running W764.

Notebook Virtuoso

It gives me this error.

The user supplied DOS system files are not compatiable with FAT32.

Screenshot:

never mind....
    It was because of the FILE SYSTEM
    I had FAT32 which should have been FAT since it is less than 4 GB(I had 2gb flash drive).
    Now it works fine.

@Batboy: You might wanna update this info just to make sure that other don't get confused.

Notebook Guru

Ooo thanks, I had the same problem however I don't remember seeing the option for just FAT, only NTFS and FAT32. I give it a go again.
    Red Metallic
    Intel® Core™ i7 2960XM Extreme Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.0GHz (8MB
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
    Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M NVIDIA SLI Enabled
    512GB Solid State Drive - RAID 0
    18.4-inch WideFHD 1920 x 1080 WLED
    Internal High-Definition 5.1 Performance Audio with SoundBlaster
    Killer Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO
    Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit
    Bluetooth 3.0

Notebook Virtuoso

If you have a flash drive < 4gb, you will get the FAT.

NBR Community Moderator

FWIW, I used a 1GB flash stick and a 2GB.

Notebook Virtuoso

Strange!!!

Notebook Evangelist

does this works for m15x?
    i stuck at number 3 for entering command to change directory
    it keep says "CHDIR failed for 'M15xR1_A09'"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast