Quantcast General Reliability Of Alienware

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default General Reliability Of Alienware

"I just want to admit,im kinda scared of breaking computers and stuff'

I really want to get an m15x for playing all those amazing mmo's coming out in the next few years, but some friends have had quite a few problems.

With my friends new m11x it crashed right in front of us using the internet, had to wipe hard drive and practically reinstall everything. Then another friend's desktop alienware Area-51 ALX which i thought was meant to be the best of the best has crashed on a few occasions. And then you see so many stories and stuff on this website about problems here and there, strange problems as well.

And i am not the person who likes to have to fiddle around in the bios, settings or even in the actual hardware to get solutions, and i really hate sending stuff back. So I'm just wondering, can i just trust and use my m15x out of the box, and what are the chances of it overheating, dying , crashing, etc.?

thanks so much...

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: General Reliability Of Alienware

Computer do break but I don't think AW brake more often then other brands. On top of that with the help of Dell, AW currently has the best gaming laptop warranty of any computer brand and you can even extend it to 4 years with complete care which means if you spill liquid on your PC, you drop your PC, etc... They replace it with an equal value PC.
    M17X R3: 2820QM, ATI 6970M, Intel 510 250Gb, 8Gb HyperX, Blu-Ray

Custom Made Laptop Cooler
    M17X R2 OC Guide
    Latitude Z Review
    Custom Ferrari Iphone

NBR Community Moderator

john,

Of course you are going to receive responses of people having issues with their systems. This type of post/response probably accounts for 85%+ of the traffic on NBR - and not just AW, across the board. The forums are a resource for people having issues. 'Issues' can be anything from a bad install, user error/lack of understanding and of course the occasional bug.

In terms of Alienware/Dell, I direct you to their warranty and repair program. If something goes wrong with the system, you call them up and a tech is dispatched to handle the issue if the phone support staff is unable to resolve. Pretty decent service IMO.

In any event, I am satisfied with purchases I have made with Dell and now AW. I certainly will continue going to them for my system needs.

If you are not a 'tinkerer' then perhaps one of the Dell entry systems. In today's world, you have to be able to 'fiddle' with settings. Especially with a gaming/enthusiast system. IMO of course

Hope this helps.

Notebook Evangelist

I picked up my M15x last Oct/Nov when they first came out. I have had zero issues with since I bought it, playing Dragon's Age, COD:Modern Warfare II, and my standby, WoW, which doesn't really stress any computer...athough I play at highest resolution without any issues.

ANY computer can have the problems you've described. Best thing you can do is run your utilities weekly (registry cleaner, defrag (unless SSD), virus checker/cleaner, etc.). If you do that, and avoid sites that are KNOWN to infect with malware, you shouldn't have any issues. Of course there is the possibility of faulty hardware, but reading these boards, seems Dell is pretty good about replacing hardware as necessary - even when it appears the user is the one who caused the bricking.

I don't regret my purchase one bit....bill
    -------------------------------------
    - "I don't benchmark, I compute in the real world" - The_Shirt
    - rMBP 15, 2.7 GHz Quad-core i7 8MB L3, 16g DDR3L, 512 SSD, GT650m, 1g GDDR5 (Aug 2012)
    - M17x R.3 2820QM, 16g DDR3, 3D 120Hz WLED, 512GB RAID 0, GTX 460M, BR-ROM (Mar 2011)

Notebook Evangelist

I am new too alienware too. The build quality is amazing and tech support is fairly helpful. Crashing though is just a part of using computers. All computers crash at some point, whether it is a minor crash or a major crash. And many crashes are user caused. Since I got my alienware 3 weeks ago I haven't had any crashes and only one problem. My GPU fan was making an odd noise.

The M15x is a great laptop and you shouldn't have any problems with overheating. I heard they have a cooling system almost as good as the M17x and the M17x's cooling system is unbelievably good.
    |Alienware M17x-R2 Cosmic Black| Core i7 720QM| 8GB 1333Mhz G.skill ram| ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870| Samsung PM810 128GB SSD + 320 GB 7200 RPM WD Scorpio Black HDD| CM Storm SF-19 notebook cooler| Logitech G500 Gaming mouse| Wenger Black 17" XPS Gaming Backpack|

Notebook Enthusiast

thanks a lot. if the made a good dell xps for example but their current model has some kind of excuse for a graphics card that's hard to accept. and aw has an awesome design....

Notebook Guru

Ive had two alienware laptops, with my third on its way. I only had a problem once and that was my own fault (we dont like to talk about it). The first one a got when I was younger, about 12 years old (Im 20 now). I knew nothing about computers so I just got the stock model. From my experience, you have to know what the components in your computer are doing and what they are capable of. If your getting an alienware, and expecting to treat it like an xbox (by that I mean, just buying games and expecting them to run fine) you might want to stick with an xbox. I learned from experience what these machines are capable of....or not capable of. My second computer, which is about 3 years old now, has had zero problems. I credit that to my understanding of the machine and the frequent maintenance to the system. I dont download anything from unknown sources in fear of viruses (THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!). I dont perform demanding tasks for extended periods of time, and I frequently scan the computer, just in case. On top of that, I back up files on an external drive and then dump whatever I dont need. This type of care is essential for any computer though. Not just an alienware. if you want the best out of your machine, you will have to take care of it.
    As far as the forum goes. BatBoy is right. This is a source for people, myself included, to solve problems. So complaints will seem frequent, but you will find people with issues all across the NBR forum.
    Alienware M17X Nebula Red (makes it go faster) || i7 820QM 1.73-3.06GHz || 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @1333MHz || 1900x1200 RGB LED-1200p || CrossfireX 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870 || 256 GB SSD

A Notebook Philosopher
    2nd airplane from the left (or the right...)

Well I have had a lot of experiences (almost good ones) with the Dell warranties.
    I don't think that computers or any other device are "Made in the Garden of Even". They are made here in our reality, which is not perfect by nature.
    My two only complains toward Dell is that it doesn't include a transparent post-production/pre-shipping QC (quality control) and that it doesn't LISTEN dinamicly and proactively to the "in-vitro" clinical experiences of the costumers (as the ones that use this rocking forum to try and find solutions for their problems)...
    Maybe this is the reason why Dell is now in the third row...

Notebook Evangelist

Well I was unlucky with my first purchase but my replacement works like a perfect dream(Playing wow on Ultra settings with average frps on 45 (low 30) (high 60)). And by the way buy a m17x instead of a m15x(space for one more hard disk and the crossfire option is always nice to have) . The only catch about Dell is that if your machine breaks down and they cannot fix the issue after three attempts of repair then a replacement will take around 2-3 months to get(unless the repair is a success of course). However Dell's on site repair on next working day is very nice and fast.
    Specs for my AWESOME MACHINE : Alienware m17x-R2 Lunar Silver |Intel i7 620M | 17in WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 - Beyond HD (1200p) - Dual CCFL | 6144MB 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel | Hard Drive 320GB Serial ATA (7200RPM) | Blu-Ray ROM Combo Drive | 1GB ATI GDDR5 Mobility Radeon HD 5870 | Benchmark 13600 | Razer Naga mmog mouse

Notebook Evangelist

Well as long as you take care of your stuff it will last a long time. Im hoping my M17x will last a minimum of 5 years.
    |Alienware M17x-R2 Cosmic Black| Core i7 720QM| 8GB 1333Mhz G.skill ram| ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870| Samsung PM810 128GB SSD + 320 GB 7200 RPM WD Scorpio Black HDD| CM Storm SF-19 notebook cooler| Logitech G500 Gaming mouse| Wenger Black 17" XPS Gaming Backpack|

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast