Quantcast AlienFX Lite (Linux + Windows AlienFX tool)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default AlienFX Lite (Linux + Windows AlienFX tool)

Hi,

Since I received my Allpowerfull M15x laptop, I always wanted to use the alienFX lights as an indicator of whether I am currently busy or available to talk to/etc... The solution provided by alienware would be to load up the alienFX software (takes a relative long time), load up a previously created profile, hit the apply button and exit the application. Suffice to say that this is really impractical to be of any use. The other major problem was that I use mainly Linux as my working environment and alienfx is not available for linux and the alienware software seems not to work on Windows over a virtual machine installed(tried both Vmware and VMBox).

Thus I decided to write my own alienFX program which would work under Windows and Linux. Here is the Result

I would be grateful for any comments and opinions on how to make the application better. Also, please let me know if you think the application is useless, so that I know if there is any point in further developing this application.

****DISCLAIMER****
    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

USE THIS SOFTWARE ON YOUR OWN RISK!

AlienFX Lite

Revision History:
    Code:
    Date       | Description            | version  | url
    15/03/2010 | Forth  Verison         | 0.4b     | http://progger.co.uk/alienfx/AlienFXLite-0.4b.jar
    12/02/2010 | Third  Verison         | 0.3      | http://progger.co.uk/alienfx/AlienFXLite-0.3.jar
    12/02/2010 | Second Verison         | 0.2      | http://progger.co.uk/alienfx/AlienFXLite-0.2.jar
    10/02/2010 | First version released | 0.1      |  http://progger.co.uk/alienfx/AlienFXLite-0.1.jar

Description:
    AlienFX Lite is a simple cross-platform program to create profiles and set the AlienFX lightning to the set colors. This application was done for the Allpowerfull M15x and only tested on this machine. It should also work on the M17x. The application will most likely accept the Area 51 m15x but it was untested. The current supported platforms are:
    Linux (32 bit), Linux(64 bit), Mac OS X(UNTESTED), Windows 7(64 bit), Windows 7 (32 bit), Windows Vista (32bit), Windows Vista 64bit, Windows XP

Special Thanks:
    Thanks go to Ingrater (http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de/) for providing me with the protocol for the alienFX device and some windows native code.

Installation:
    The application can be installed on windows and on linux in the following way.

Linux: (Ubuntu)

This guide is for ubuntu only. For a different distribution (which doesnt use debian packages), you have to install the following things Java Runtime Environment 1.6 (6) and libusb-1.0-0.

Step 1) ==CHECK FOR JVM 1.6==
    Check if you have have a java vm installed. This can be done by typing "java -version" into a terminal. If you get a "command not found" returned or the version is lower than 1.6 go to step 2. If the version is 1.6 or above, go to step 3.

Step 2) ==INSTALLING JVM==
    To install the latest jvm type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre
    Confirm your choice and wait until its installed.

Step 3) ==INSTALL libusb-1.0==
    The linux native libraries are based of libusb. It has to be present on the system. This can be done by:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0

Windows:

Step 1) If you dont have java 1.6 then Go to: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and click on Download JRE. Install the JRE.

Step 2) Place the AlienFXLite-0.1.jar into a suitable for you folder, and remember the path (e.g. C:\User\wattos\AlienFXLite-0.1.jar)

Step 3) Unfortunately the application requires administrator powers or othrwise it will not be able to write to the alienfx device. Find the location of the JRE javaw.exe, which will most likely be somewhere here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_18\bin\javaw.exe

Step 4) Right click on your desktop, and do new->Shortcut. Now enter the path (e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_18\bin\javaw.exe") with the qoutes into the text field, followed by the location of the jar file. Thus all together it should look like:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_18\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\User\wattos\AlienFXLite-0.1.jar"
    If you want the application to go directly to the system tray without opening, append an -s e.g.

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_18\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\User\wattos\AlienFXLite-0.1.jar" -s
    Thats it, you are done.

Manual:
    To open the application in linux, do the following
    sudo java -jar AlienFXLite-0.1.jar
    or
    sudo java -jar AlienFXLite-0.1.jar -s
    for the silent version.

On windows, rightclick on the created shortcut and press on "run as admin".

Once the application is open, you can create new profiles. On the left you can see the color chooser, which is used to choose colors. When creating a new profile while having no profile selected, all lights will be defaulted to the color which was selected when pressing the new profile button. If you create a new profile while another profile is selected, then a copy of that profile will be created.

Once you are happy with a profile you need to press the save button. This will write the changes to the hdd. The remove button allows you to remove profiles. Finally, click the apply button to apply the profile to the alienFX controller.

If System trays are supported (usually they are) the application will not close when the window is closed. Instead it will hide. The application is only closable from the system tray. To close the application, right click on the system tray alienFX icon and then Exit. In this small menu, all profiles are also listed. Clicking on a profiles name will automatically apply the profile without having to open the applications window.

In order to change the colors for selected regions, select a color on the left side, then press the button with the text of the region you want to change the color. Dont forget to hit the save buttons once you are happy with a profile. The apply button DOES not save your profile.

Video Tutorial

Misc:

* The profiles are saved under (USER_HOME)/.alienFXprofiles.
    * On linux you can make your user able to access the usb devices without being a super user but part of a group which has access to the usb devices. I dont know how to do that

Known Issues:
    * Sometimes the JVM will spit out a bug when opening the menu of the system tray. This is a bug in Swing and should be fixed with a new update of the JRE (hopefully).
    * It seems that the system look and feel does not work on ubuntu which runs inside a VM (??).
    * With some look and feels, its possible that the non-resizable window is too small.
    * The java functionality for system trays is generally crap. The balloon messages looks really bad and icon does not support transparency.
    * It only works with the 32 bit JRE on windows

TODO:
    * change the format of the profiles from binary to xml
    * change the Ui to look better/different
    * Make the applying of the effects in a background thread so that the gui doesnt freeze

Release History
    v. 0.4b:
    * Added support for M11x
    * Added support for active preview
    * Added support for Battery Monitoring
    * Added support for brightness
    * Added Turn off features
    * Fixed Windows visual bugs

v. 0.3:
    * Added support for copying/pasting a sequence of actions
    * Added support for changing a lot of colors at once
    * Added reset function
    * Removed the info button and copy button

v. 0.2:
    * Added support for 32 bit linux
    * Added support for sequences
    * Added support for copy/paste of action
    * Added support for right click on color to select the color from an action
    * Added support for "colors in profile"
    * Added support for morph/blink
    * Added support for speed
    * Changed the Gui layout

Screen Shots:

http://progger.co.uk/alienfx/linux.png

System Tray:
    http://progger.co.uk/alienfx/tray.png

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    See signature

SOURCE LINK:
    See signature
    Last edited by Wattos; 15th March 2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Removed links from the post
    Alienware All Powerfull M15x
    i7 940XM|ATI 5850|8Gb DDR3 G.Skill Ram|1920x1080 WLED|250 GB SSD
    Alienware Area - 51 m15x
    T9300|Nvidia 8800M GTX|4GB DDR2 Ram|BluRay writer|1920x1200 Display|320 GB HDD
    Asus F3Sv

AlienFX Lite 0.4 Beta Thread Executable Source
    Alienware Stealth Indicator Thread

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: AlienFX Lite (Linux + Windows AlienFX tool)

thanks for doing this: interested to install and give it a test run. Where is the download link?
    Alienware M15x: Cosmic Black: Intel Core i7 720QM: Nvidia GT 240m 1GB: 1920x1080 WLED: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz: 320 GB SATA 7200: Slot Load DVD: 6-cell Battery: Big Foot Killer N1103 wireless N: Win7 64bit

MSI GS70 2PC-036 Stealth: Intel i7-4700HQ, 12GB DDR3L at 1600MHz,128GB mSATA SSD + Crucial M500 240GB mSATA SSD +750GB HDD, Nvidia GTX860M GDDR5 2GB, Intel AC7260

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lgsshedden View Post
    thanks for doing this: interested to install and give it a test run. Where is the download link?
    LOL, sorry, totally forgot to put the download link on the page. Thanks for reminder. Also, there is partial support for the old model, (area 51 m15x) and windows vista/7 32 bit but right now it seems that the application needs a restart after setting the colors. If there is interest in the application to support the old model, Ill dedicate some time to make it work on the old one as well.

I edited the main page with the download link

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    http://progger.co.uk/alienfx/AlienFXLite-0.1.jar
    Alienware Area - 51 m15x
    Asus F3Sv

Notebook Evangelist

Do you think this will work with the upcoming M11X considering it only has one zone for the keyboard?
    Would it be hard to make it work for the upcoming m11x?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by impruv View Post
    Do you think this will work with the upcoming M11X considering it only has one zone for the keyboard?
    Would it be hard to make it work for the upcoming m11x?
    I want to say "Not at all", but its usually hard to tell. The biggest problem would be that I probably wont be buying a M11x, so I would have to either work with someone, or have somebody with a M11x develop the support for the M11x.

If there is enough demand for this to support the M11x then I will gladly add support for it as long as someone is willing to work with me, or do himself. The number of zones is something I can configure. I doubt that it will work without any modification, but we would have to see ^^
    Alienware Area - 51 m15x
    Asus F3Sv

Notebook Consultant

beauty: thanks for the quick addition of the download
    Alienware M15x: Cosmic Black: Intel Core i7 720QM: Nvidia GT 240m 1GB: 1920x1080 WLED: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz: 320 GB SATA 7200: Slot Load DVD: 6-cell Battery: Big Foot Killer N1103 wireless N: Win7 64bit

MSI GS70 2PC-036 Stealth: Intel i7-4700HQ, 12GB DDR3L at 1600MHz,128GB mSATA SSD + Crucial M500 240GB mSATA SSD +750GB HDD, Nvidia GTX860M GDDR5 2GB, Intel AC7260

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Wattos View Post
    I want to say "Not at all", but its usually hard to tell. The biggest problem would be that I probably wont be buying a M11x, so I would have to either work with someone, or have somebody with a M11x develop the support for the M11x.

If there is enough demand for this to support the M11x then I will gladly add support for it as long as someone is willing to work with me, or do himself. The number of zones is something I can configure. I doubt that it will work without any modification, but we would have to see ^^
    Thanks for coding this and putting it out there. Really nice to have an option to control these in Linux. I don't currently have an alienware, but I am planning on getting a m11x. I will be mostly running Linux on it. (Can't wait to see how fast the 335M is with CUDA) I can't order mine until my tax return, so I'll probably get it a week or two later than anyone else..but once I do if you haven't found anyone else I'd like to help you get a m11x compatible version out.

Notebook Evangelist

any chance this would work with the M17x r2 ?

Notebook Consultant

downloaded and installed as per the guideline
    attempted my first profile and went to save and I get an AlienFx Error
    Error occurred while trying to communicate with the AlienFx device.
    Data length should be 9 but was 0.

Suggestions? Fully prepared to concede it could be operator error!
    Last edited by lgsshedden; 10th February 2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lgsshedden View Post
    downloaded and installed as per the guideline
    attempted my first profile and went to save and I get an AlienFx Error
    Error occurred while trying to communicate with the AlienFx device.
    Data length should be 9 but was 0.

Suggestions? Fully prepared to concede it could be operator error!
    Are you running on windows, Linux?

I assume you are running windows. Is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Are you running it as admin? Usually I get this error when running not as admin
    Alienware Area - 51 m15x
    Asus F3Sv

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast