Quantcast New Command Center for M17x - Page 7

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    NBR Community Moderator

Default Re: New Command Center for M17x

Agreed on the CC usefulness factor.

Personally, I have AlienFusionService and the FAService services stopped and disabled. In addition to disabling these two services I have also chosen to disable FATrayAlert and the AlienFXController startup items. Having the FXController not load at startup requires a manual launch of it to change colors, but its a only a small issue. The disabling of the items I mentioned was how I was able to completely eliminate in-game stuttering as well as mp3 playback issues.

What I would like to see is Dell/AW release an installer which allows you to choose which modules are installed. Actually, I need to head over to Dell's IdeaStorm and post that if its not already up there.

I'll upload a theme to the AlienFX Theme thread in a moment.

Here we go again.....

Hey on the resourse cd you can install alienfx lite which is nothing but a alienfx editor

I could create a program to change it from a file.

Have a batch file that looks in a specific file for .theme files then write it to the alienfx board

only thing is I do not know the dev I'd or location to send it to ....And it would require testing which could mess up your alien fx.

But my programming skills are like a 2/10 lol so anything I did would pale in comparison to findvikas. Also the only reason his program does not work is due to the dev id's for the alienfx controllers changed on the new allpowerfuls. And now that Dell changed it up

If we can get him to agree maybe you and me batboy could work on his source code to write the new XML files and change the dev I'd lemme kno in pm's or email
    Last edited by The_Moo™; 10th October 2009 at 02:18 AM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian77 View Post
    The problem now is that anytime I try to run the CC install it gives me an error saying it can't find the .msi file (even if I manually browse to the folder in the Temp folder where it is contained) and I can't uninstall the OLD command center as it is apparently missing a file named 2ec54.msi that's suppsoed to be in C:\Windows\Installer
    Can be fixed by reinstalling the current version then the new version is able to remove it.

I might remove and reinstall the new one anyway as the FX editor crashes everytime I try to add a new application :-(
    Alienware M17x (A07), Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300, SLI 280mGTX (v285.62), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD + Hitachi 250GB HDD (for backups), Intel Ultimate-N 6300 AGN, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Hybrid-SLI

Notebook Evangelist

Ok, followed BatBoy's method and it's working now. Thanks!
    The thing I don't get is during the installation, why does it ask for the computer model? I mean, shouldn't it just somehow detect it? It didn't ask when i installed over the old version.
    Alienware M18xR2
    i7-3920XM | GTX 680M SLI | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz | Killer N 1103 | Samsung 830 512GB RAID 0 + 2TB 7200RPM RAID 0
    Crossover 27Q LED-P (2560x1440) ​| Fiio E17 + Sennheiser HD650 | Razer Mamba 2012 | Razer Manticor | Das Model S Ultimate

Notebook Consultant

Like I said, I just fixed mine with a re-install of Windows (needed to anyway) but thanks guys! Also, I have all 4 functions available, including Fusion, in Windows 7....so don't know what's up with Fusion on your rig Scook....

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by BatBoy View Post
    For those of you who are having issues with the install, try this (what I did to resolve the errors):

1. Uninstall Command Center via the Programs & Features Control Panel.
    2. Reboot
    3. Run CCleaner's registry module and clean out all left over traces.
    4. Reboot
    5. Run the installer for the new command center. Now here is the important part (and dont ask me why this is, but it is and its how I was able to resolve the error), SHUTDOWN the system after the installer complete - instead of restarting, SHUTDOWN.
    6. Power up and everything should be fine.

Important Notes:
    As we have learned, the older theme files will not function. If you currently have one of my themes (hex color codes manually edited) or you have tweaked one yourself, I suggest installing the old version of Command Center first and then resetting to the default AW theme file or set it to Go Dark. Reason for this is the new CC released today uses a different structure with the .xml. This is also why you can't load any themes created with the older versions of CC.

This should work - let me know if it doesn't.
    cheers man, this fix worked for me!

ps: love the blog
    [ Space Black Alienware M17x | QX9300 @ 3.2ghz | ATI 5870m! | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333hz RAM | 128GB Corsair Nova Series SSD - 500GB Seagate 7200.4 HDD | 1920x1200 ]

Notebook Enthusiast

Well I'm boned. After about a month of not booting into Vista (I dual-boot Linux on the second hard drive) I thought I might as well boot into Vista and update some programs and drivers. Well, as always, now I wanna kill myself.

I've updated Command Center just as BatBoy suggested, first removing CC, then using CCleaner, etc., being careful to shutdown and not reboot after installing the new version... Doesn't work, lights disappeared. I get the same error message mentioned in this discussion before, CC cannot connect to the device, cannot find it, whatever.

I've repeated the process about a million times, either booting after every step or not booting after every step, whatever combination possible. No go. Tried running AlienFX and playing with the theme, no go. I removed the new CC completely again, reinstalled the previous version. Still no go.

Now I'm back on my trusty Linux, minus the lights, plus a broken heart.

I'm never booting Vista again in my life.
    Alienware m17x:
    Intel Core2 Duo T9600 @ 2.80GHz
    4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
    2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M
    500GB 7200rpm HDD
    Blue Ray Reader/DVD Writer
    ----------------------------------
    Asus Eee PC 4GB Surf

NBR Benching Addict

Vista works fine, it just has to be setup correctly

Notebook Enthusiast

Had some issues getting the lighting on the keyboard to work at first, but eventually fixed it. When I first finished installing, I opened up AlienFX Editor and there wasn't any option to change the lighting on the keyboard in basic theme. I eventually fixed it by going to advanced theme and making a theme there, and when I went back to basic theme, there were options available for the keyboard. Just wanted to put this out there in case someone had the same problem as me.

Thanks for the instructions on getting the new Command Center to install properly! I love the white.

Edit: I figured out why I wasn't getting the option for changing the lights on the keyboard.
    The default theme that was set for me was the file Alienware.ath, and in that theme file, apparently there aren't any options for changing the keyboard lights, but there are options when you create an entirely new theme.
    Last edited by youngkyu; 13th October 2009 at 11:46 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Can anyone perhaps post a valid, new theme file?
    Alienware m17x:
    Intel Core2 Duo T9600 @ 2.80GHz
    4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
    2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M
    500GB 7200rpm HDD
    Blue Ray Reader/DVD Writer
    ----------------------------------
    Asus Eee PC 4GB Surf

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast