Quantcast An official statement regarding overheating issues on the Alienware m15x.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Notebook Retailer

Default An official statement regarding overheating issues on the Alienware m15x.

Good afternoon,

Though we have tested the machines thoroughly, we have not experienced this issue at Alienware; however, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us, and we will continue to investigate and see if we can duplicate the issue. Once we can isolate the issue and how to address it, we will let our customer service technicians know immediately so they can help users that may be experiencing this issue. As always, we take any feedback in forums, blogs and newsgroups seriously and encourage our customers to contact us directly whenever they experience unexpected issues with their machines.

Regards,

Steve Lopez

Support Forums Administrator

Alienware Corporation

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: An official statement regarding overheating issues on the Alienware m15x.

Maybe you should test the systems a little more before shipping it to thousands of people and then making them pay a 15% restocking fee when their GPU fries.
    Revoked purchase of m15x: March 10th.
    Purchased Dell XPS M1730 - Bone White
    Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000 (2.8GHz/800Mhz FSB)
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    200gb HD / 7200RPM
    Dual 512MB NVIDIA SLI GeForce 8800mGTX
    Ageia PhysX 100M Processor
    Internal Bluetooth
    Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: An official statement regarding overheating issues on the Alienware m15x.

Rebmik, your comment isn't helping anyone who wants to work with Alienware to resolve this issue. I know you've been mucked around, but you've cut your ties now so let the people who want this resolved have the "air time" so to speak.

Thanks Steve for letting us know where we stand and making contact.
    Chaz on these boards is reviewing a demo unit, and has found he can replicate the problem using a program called "ATI Tool" to monitor and stress the GPU. It is repeatable and easily replicated. The same problem occurs after a few hours of a game such as Crysis too.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...38#post3086838

It is the feeling with some that the cause is due to the GPU fan not increasing it's RPM in relation to the increasing temperatures although this has not been verified.
    Last edited by EeekiE; 11th March 2008 at 05:02 PM.
    Signature indicating how cool I am:
    M15x:
    Penryn x9000 | 2GB DDR2 | 200GB 7.2k HDD | 8800m GTX GPU | "900p" screen
    B-Road weapon:
    810kg | 1272cc | 210ps | coilovers & custom front geometry

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Alienware-Steve View Post
    Good afternoon,

Though we have tested the machines thoroughly, we have not experienced this issue at Alienware; however, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us, and we will continue to investigate and see if we can duplicate the issue. Once we can isolate the issue and how to address it, we will let our customer service technicians know immediately so they can help users that may be experiencing this issue. As always, we take any feedback in forums, blogs and newsgroups seriously and encourage our customers to contact us directly whenever they experience unexpected issues with their machines.

Regards,

Steve Lopez

Support Forums Administrator

Alienware Corporation

Hmm... is this for real lol. I thought we're supposed to get emails saying this not posts .

Notebook Evangelist

Hmmmm? I am speaking for the people who have problems with their notebooks who were charged a 15% restocking fee for a broken notebook. I think it's absurd and am voicing my opinion.
    200gb HD / 7200RPM
    Internal Bluetooth

Notebook Evangelist

If this guy is for real it means our voices were heared again! Keep your shouts coming, someone might be reading this!!

PS sadly i wrote 5 emails to AW and nobody answered in a week but here they are reading forums :P

P4P King

Steve I guess a lot of people are concerned about the return policy. I think a lot of customers are in a panic that they may be sitting on a 3-5k paperweight that will be destined to fry in a matter of months. Almost every forum member is having overheating and downclocking issues so this isn't an issue that should be difficult to duplicate. I hope you keep us updated and please reference some of the posts regarding the downclocking issues. The members have extensively tested this. Unfortunately it is frusturating to be benchmarking instead of gameplaying. WHEN AW finds the flaw, I hope not only are we helped but also given extended warranties or other things to accommodate us for the troubles we are having. It would be a shame to have loyal (often repeat) customers not get treated properly when buying one of the most expensive home computers in existence.

Notebook Evangelist

hahahha. You would think they would answer your personal e-mail before coming to a forum..... Although... if they want more sales they would try to keep the mass of people who are currently in the phase game and currently looking to purchase an m15x calm.
    200gb HD / 7200RPM
    Internal Bluetooth

Notebook Consultant

Thanks Steve, you guys over at AW are doing great. I was about to cancle but damn you guys hired a mighty fine lady to prevent me lol.

I'm hoping that the issues with the heating can be fixed by bios.

Notebook Evangelist

Yea... having a cancellation prevention agent talk people out of cancelling was a brilliant idea. As you see it worked fantastically. Now when people get broken notebooks you can still charge them 15% restocking fees. Not only do you get the hardware back.. but you get $500! You guys at alienware are too smart.
    200gb HD / 7200RPM
    Internal Bluetooth

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast