Quantcast Read if you are thinking of buying an Alienware

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Read if you are thinking of buying an Alienware

I am writing this to make consumers aware of the business practices of Alienware - a high end computer maker.

I am a current customer and have a $3600 Area-51 gaming laptop.

I recently had a hardware issue (I have a 3 year warranty) and called their tech support.

Their tech support, in the process of troubleshooting, told me to pry open my keyboard.

I told them I didn't want to do this and was told I had to if they were to okay it to be shipped to their depot.

In the process of prying up my laptop keyboard with a credit card (as per their technician's instructions),
    I broke a clasp that held my keyboard in place.

The tech then informed me they wouldn't cover any physical damage.

Now my laptop keyboard bubbles and won't stay in place - all because of following their instructions.

I.E. Their tech told me I had to pry up my keyboard, then refused to cover any damages done when
    following their instructions. (They point out that the warranty doesn't cover physical damages AFTER they
    tell you to do physical work on your laptop - they also asked me to unscrew my back panel etc.)

I have tried to reason with Alienware to fix my laptop and they refuse. As a result,
    I want consumers to be aware of what transpired.

If other Alienware owners have similar stories - email me.

Sincerely,

Jason Hickman
    revjwh@yahoo.com

Notebook Deity

That sucks. So the idiot who instructed you to open with despite your hesitation was the one who also said they couldn't cover the damage he instructed you to make? Did you speak with a supervisor?

If you bought with American Express you are covered under the Accidental damage for 90 days. Did you get accidental coverage through them or by an insurance rider? If not, you may be out of luck.

You can try this however it is unethical (but hey, I'm Dr. Evil ) but your $3600 laptop is at stake here. Get an insurance rider on your laptop with your homeowner's or renter's insurance. File a claim 31 days after coverage and then you're set. I realize that you don't have too many choices.

"It's Doctor Evil. I didn't go to Evil Medical School for 6 years to be called Mister." (Dr. Evil, Austin Powers 1997)

Dell Inspiron 6000
    1.6 GHZ Centrino (Sonoma)
    WUXGA 15.4" WS
    512 MB RAM
    60 GB HD
    Wireless B/G
    DVD/CD-RW
    --
    Still looking for a case....
    ---
    Palmone Tungsten C/WIFI

Hi,

Most of you guys seem to be USA based, but we also have alien ware in the UK, and they seem to be just as bad. When you buy a new product you expect it to be delivered in perfect condition. Not so apparently when you buy from Alieware. I have just purchased a new laptop from them which on arrival and boot up had a dead pixel, which shone out like the north star. Now I understand equipment can break down when used, and I understand the dead pixel policy they tuck away at the end of their terms and conditions, not in their warranty, but this machine came to me faulty. If you bought a top of the range sports car, you would not expect it to be delivered to your home with a chip out of the windscreen. Needless to say they do not want to know.

The laptop was shipped either with the fault not being picked up in quality control, or under the assumption it would be accepted. Alienware do not want to know, and are now not even answering emails. If asked, I would not reccomend buying from them, but to look elsewhere. Any suggestions ?

Notebook Virtuoso

taffuser1: The dead pixel on your new machine must be annoying, but I don't think you can do much but send it back and pay the restocking fee. The only companies I know of which have FREE zero dead pixel guarantees are Falcon, and Powernotebooks (but only on its version of the CL56). Some builders offer a guarantee, but for a price: from about $50 on up.

My own Voodoo 860 came with two stuck green pixels, and later developed an intermittently stuck on red. The stuck red pixel was right dead-center in the middle of the damn screen. Voodoo's policy at the time, was (I think) that a screen with three or more bad pixels would be replaced. The stuck red wouldn't stay stuck long enough to bother sending it back.

Your disappointment is understandable, but I don't think AW is doing you wrong, UNLESS you bought a zero dead pixel guarantee.

Notebook Enthusiast

Not to be cruel or siding wit alienware here, but 3 newbies... accusing alienware?? hmmm looks more like a terrible scheme to bring them down.. Not an alienware customer myself but looking from the conditions i wouldnt even be moved by ur statements of alienware's faulty technicians . Looking at all the other satisfied alienware customers dont think they have as much complaint or problem as u guys do. and remember that no one's perfect.

Notebook Enthusiast

Having a dead pixel is my greatest fear since mine is currently being built. I do have the 3 yr Best Buy warranty and it does cover that. I am praying to god that it arrives perfect []

HP ZD8000 | 3.4GHz P4 650 w/HT Tech | 100 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive | 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533 MHz | 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 | 17" WSXGA+ Wide View | DVD+/-RW/R CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer

Notebook Consultant

thats odd. i had a dead pixel, and they took it back, no questions asked. full refund, they payed shipping.

Compaq Presario R3000z
    AMD Athlon 64 3400 - 2.2gHz
    1 Gig DDR
    15.4BrightVew (1280x800)
    100 Gig 4200Rpm
    nVedia GeForce 4 440 - 64MB
    8x Super Multi w/Multi-layer
    802.11b/g, Bluetooth

Compaq h4155 Pocket PC

Notebook Enthusiast

quote:
    Originally posted by Bosrudorfer
    [br]Having a dead pixel is my greatest fear since mine is currently being built. I do have the 3 yr Best Buy warranty and it does cover that. I am praying to god that it arrives perfect []

HP ZD8000 | 3.4GHz P4 650 w/HT Tech | 100 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive | 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533 MHz | 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 | 17" WSXGA+ Wide View | DVD+/-RW/R CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer

Haha, i've got a laptop on order as well. It should be delivered tomorrow and if it's got a dead pixel, I'm going to cry.

SPECS: Soon. Soon.

I ordered an Alienware laptop based on their supposedly excellent quality assurance and customer service. What a mistake! My Sentia arrived with a burnt pixel that was slightly to the right of center. Because it was not in the center quadrant, they refuse to replace it. I have to either pay a 15 percent restocking fee (about $300!) or I'm stuck with a glaring reminder of how crummy Alienware is every time I turn on my screen. This bright blue mark will show up brilliantly in the midst of every game I play, every PowerPoint presentation I make, everything I do on my laptop.

When I spoke with the technical support manager, Juan Carlos, he was condescending and asked me: 1) Don't you know anything about how LCD screens are made? and 2) Do you even know what ISO 9000 standards are?

Well, the answer to both is no, but I do know unsatisfactory customer service. I had no idea I needed to know LCD manufacturing procedures and ISO 9000 to buy a quality laptop. I mean, I don't need to know how my car is made before I purchase one...

Meanwhile, my husband sent a mail to their 'customer support' line that they claim to reply to within 24 hours. We're going on 48 hours now without a word...

Alienware thinks a burnt pixel is a defect if it is in one quadrant of a screen, but if it is slightly to the right, it is merely an acceptable flaw. What?!?

I'll never buy another Alienware and I'm doing my best to get the word out.

Just another newbie to tell the same story as the others that have been ripped off by Alienware. I bought one for my son, and what a disappointment, It had a dead green pixel smack dead in the middle of the screen. Their response was awful, and they were quite contrite. They had my money and I had a computer with a screen defect. After spending $4,000 on the Area 51 machine decked out with all of the high end options, the restocking fee would have been over $600. If you plan on buying a product from Alienware be prepared to be disappointed. BTW my HP ZD7000 kicks its . It has better video, cpu, sound, better everything. Alienware is riding on its past reputation, not on its products or how it stands behind its workmanship. Buyer beware!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast