Quantcast Why is the left side of my laptop so hot compared to the right and getting lag when playing games?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Why is the left side of my laptop so hot compared to the right and getting lag when playing games?

I bought this on january...so its only been half a year since then, but recently the top left part of my laptop(airvent) gets very hot whenever i go on the internet or downloading. I use core temp and its usually on 70-80 degrees and goes up to as much as 90 when i play league of legends(usually have no problems playing this) but now i get lag spikes whenever i'm in group fights.

My top right fan however has been fine, always been able to touch it and gets to warm at most, even feel the fan blowing air out, unlike my left side..i can never feel any air being blown out. I have already took the fans out to inspect it, no dust clogging and for some reason i can see the left fan spinning but don't feel any air coming out?

Should i replace the fan, if so where can i buy one, or could it be a virus that is slowing it down? Currently using microsoft ess/mbam/super antivirus, ran them all and is still laggy.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Why is the left side of my laptop so hot compared to the right and getting lag when playing games?

it can be a faulty fan, you should call dell for a replacement, i think
    if its not blowing air, and rising 90 degrees on the processor...its crazy
    Alienware m15x DEAD
    Alienware M17x-R3 Core I72630QM 4Gb 1333MHz 750 GB HDD 1080p and GTX460M

Acer Aspire 5920g Intel core 2 Duo 5750 2GHz / 4Gb 667 Mhz / 250 Gb HDD 5.4k / ATI Mobility Radeon HD3470 256Mb / 1280X800

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Why is the left side of my laptop so hot compared to the right and getting lag when playing games?

I would think that your CPU isn't connected well to the heatsink. Open it up and remove the heatsink and have a look. If needed repaste but removing and replacing may fix it without the need to repaste.

What CPU do you have?
    M15X - I7 720qm | 6 gb 1333 | 500gb Momentus XT Hybrid 7200rpm/SSD | BD-rom | 1080p | HD 5850 (860/1300 @1.0v )
    3D Mark Vantage P9685 stable / OC P10004 too hot

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by craigscott0 View Post
    I would think that your CPU isn't connected well to the heatsink. Open it up and remove the heatsink and have a look. If needed repaste but removing and replacing may fix it without the need to repaste.

What CPU do you have?
    Heh you may be right, i took it off and put it back on tightly, i'm able to feel air blowing out now, gonna play a game to see if it fixes it.

i highly recommend you redo your paste also, since factory paste is iffy.

Notebook Evangelist

i recommend a repaste as well.

I ALWAYS clean up and repaste whenever i take off the heatsink of anything. I just feel it's better that way.
    Alienware M15x: Cosmic Black -i7 820QM - 8GB DDR3 - 1080p WLED - Dell ATI 5850m - 500GB HDD @ 7200rpm - Intel 6300-N
    Waiting for - 500gb SSD's that don't cost a soul, and a 6970! =D

Selling Dell GTX 260m

Notebook Deity

factory paste for me looked like 5mms of chewed gum stuck onto the heatsink. Redo your paste. :P
    M15x | Core i7-820QM | 5850M 1GB DDR5 700/1050 | 8GB DDR3 1333 | 9 Cell Battery Intel Wifi Link 5300 | 7200RPM 250GB